• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Siren Visual Announces Nadia on Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Would buy this in a second if only Siren Visual weren't the licensees.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Would buy this in a second if only Siren Visual weren't the licensees.

Umm .. why??? Siren Visual have done pretty well in getting some licences that havn't even been licenced in the USA such as Higurashi, Dennou Coil and Monster. They are not over priced and I've never really had any quality issues with them.

With the advent of Hanabee which split off from Siren Visual they have lost some of their steam but they still manage to get some of the harder to get shows.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
I've never really had any quality issues with them.

I have, and I know other people who have. That's enough for me not to waste my time (and money) with them anymore.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I have, and I know other people who have. That's enough for me not to waste my time (and money) with them anymore.

They haven't been that way for many years, plus I can almost guarantee the discs will be dupes of Sentai's release in the US. Most, if not all Australian anime BD releases aren't authored here and are dupes of UK and US discs.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
I've never really had any quality issues with them.

Of their releases I own the following

Welcome to the NHK
Ghost Hound
Clannad, Clannad After Story
Higurashi (season 1 and 2)
Dennou Coil
Cannan
Casshern Sins (BD)
Angel Beats (BD)
Kaiba
PenguinDrum (BD)
Number 6
Perfect Blue
Tears to Tiara
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (BD)
Un-Go
Welcome to Irabu's Office

The only problem I've ever had was that in one of the Clannad releases the menu is incorrectly labelled for one of the OVA's. This also happens in the origional Sentai Filmworks release.

From my experience they're fine.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to second Siren Visual's quality, they haven't dropped the ball in quite some time (I'm not kidding, I'm talking years here). What releases have you found that you've been disappointed with and why?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
I've go 14 SV series and I've always felt the quality was a little below that of Madman, but still perfectly acceptable.

Except the dreadful first volume of Mawaru Penguindrum. I've heard the o/s versions were screwed up also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Except the dreadful first volume of Mawaru Penguindrum. I've heard the o/s versions were screwed up also.

As I said before, I don't think any anime BDs are actually authored here in Australia due to costs. All of them are direct copies from UK and US distributors, hence the reason why the same errors that are on the UK/US discs are on the Australian discs.
Doraemon365

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
I'll have to second Siren Visual's quality, they haven't dropped the ball in quite some time (I'm not kidding, I'm talking years here). What releases have you found that you've been disappointed with and why?

Monster, Welcome to the NHK and other shows that have already been mentioned are prime examples.

In regards to Monster, it is plagued with macroblocking and video glitches:

http://s11.postimg.org/j3mgdgqkz/Monster_Disc_1_Siren.png

As for Welcome to the NHK, it is present with ridiculous combing artifacts which occur infrequently throughout the series:

http://s11.postimg.org/q5kdznu6r/Welcome_to_the_NHK_Disc_1_Siren.jpg

Also, Siren (in March 2014) promised a reprint that will fix these issues once existing stock has been exhausted:

Siren Visual wrote:
Discs will be replaced upon repress.

However a recent response on their facebook page suggests they decided to no longer go ahead with it as they consider it now as:

Siren Visual wrote:
minor

Siren deems these problems as negligible but as paying customers, you'd expect a glitch free product or at the very least having the company stick to their word and offer a fix down the track.

This just goes to show their lack of QC and also the lack of care they put into their products and customers.

Furthermore their support is also subpar...

An order I placed a few weeks ago with them arrived damaged and was not sent using the express service I paid for but rather the cheaper parcel post method. They denied this and blamed AusPost for the mistake but by simply looking at the shipping label and the time it took to reach me it was pretty apparent it was not AusPost's mistake but Sirens. Also, I entered the tracking ID into the AusPost website and it came up with Parcel Post as the method used. Go figure.

Anyways, I have still yet to receive a partial refund from this shipping mistake and I am also still waiting for the replacement packaging of the damaged items which they promised to send out. It has already been weeks since that email and I'm loosing faith that they will fulfill what they had promised.

As a result from all of this, I'm no longer going to waste my time or spend any more of my money with this company.
Kirben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Doraemon365 wrote:
sonictail wrote:

Monster, Welcome to the NHK and other shows that have already been mentioned are prime examples.

In regards to Monster, it is plagued with macroblocking and video glitches:

http://s11.postimg.org/j3mgdgqkz/Monster_Disc_1_Siren.png

I watched the complete series of Monster via DVD releases from Siren, and never noticed any video glitches. Maybe you got a bad batch of discs?

The formatting of the subtitles for Monster seemed strange at times though, but they simply used what Viz Media provided.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Doraemon365

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kirben"]
Doraemon365 wrote:

I watched the complete series of Monster via DVD releases from Siren, and never noticed any video glitches. Maybe you got a bad batch of discs?

The formatting of the subtitles for Monster seemed strange at times though, but they simply used what Viz Media provided.

Maybe they did do a repress? I doubt it though...

Can you confirm that your disc does not have this issue by viewing episode 4; 'The Night of Execution' at around the 12m:53s mark.

This glitch also occurs randomly on other discs as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1