• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Freedom Riders

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like that about Haruhi. I mean, at first I wondered why anyone would put up with her, and then they reveal spoiler[she's a god,] which explains it, and then it feels like there's no reason to watch anymore.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Not a god, the god.]

I'm glad to hear that Freedom is getting a lukewarm reception. It just... isn't good. At all. It's completely unremarkable, and the product placement is laughable. I saw the first episode for free at BV's SakuraCon panel without subtitles, and I still felt like I got cheated out of $40 US. Please don't buy it.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Please let us know about the shampoo and conditioner. I 'm serious. I'm looking for a new brand to try. Bumble & Bumble just isn't doing it for me anymore.

Great column this week. (As always.)
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Please let us know about the shampoo and conditioner. I 'm serious. I'm looking for a new brand to try. Bumble & Bumble just isn't doing it for me anymore.

Great column this week. (As always.)

^^ I like it a lot. I can't tell if it's because I really buy into their glamorous ad campaign, but I'm a big fan. My hair's been really soft lately, and I feel like my highlights stand out more. The cameragirl we had with us at AX tried some of it, too, and she agreed with it making her hair soft. I don't really know what's so different about it, but I'm happy with it so far.
immortalkon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Having graduated from school, young Takeru is enjoying his last vacation until the government decides what job he'll be best suited for.

So in the meantime, he's gonna race his bike!! YEAH!

His friend's sister might watch, too!!! YEAH!!!

LOL, this made my day, I could feel the sarcasm in your voice.

Pepperidge wrote:
Quote:
I saw the first episode for free at BV's SakuraCon panel without subtitles, and I still felt like I got cheated out of $40 US.

I don't know much about Freedom but I do remember watching Pepperidge grill the Bandai VP or whatever big wig title at Sakuracon. I am disappointed to hear that HD was all it was cracked up to be.

As for Beck, I agree great show, already bought that special edition box-radio thing. Defintiely great character development throughout the series, still have some issues about them dubbing everything though and not showing the differences Japanese and American cultrues.

Karin - seen the series fansubbed, and you're pretty dead on with it's assessment. It has its moments, but nothing more than an average series. The characters are cute (then again, never really heard of ugly anime characters as romantic leads). Her younger sister seemed the most interesting in the series though, and in my opinion, the ending was really weak.

Peach Girl - one of the first shojo shows I actually watched. Wasn't really into this genre prior to this. I actually liked the series, but some parts were over the top, which seems typical for this genre. I do think there's some decent character growth later on in the series though, and I was quite amused with the character designs in terms of styling such as different outfits, hairstyle, looks, etc. Reminded me of SuperGals, thought it was a nice artistic touch.

MoHS - I actually liked this show because I thought it was different from the norm. You have episodes that make up a coherent story line whether in sequence or out of sequence. There's alot of sarcastic narrative by Kyon which was just witty writing, and naturally the additional otaku humour and being able to poke fun at itself just added to the fun. Then there's the serious side of the show where she spoiler[is considered "the" god and everything centres around her, and that she can basically destroy the current world without knowing it. ] I like the irony of the situation in that sense.

Anyways great column, always look forward to reading it and checking out other people's collection. Maybe one day I'll stop being lazy and anti-social and put mine up.
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Kind of disappointed that MoHS is listed as a rental, but I probably should have seen it coming. At least it didn't end up under perishable.

Quote:
It may be that I'm a little too jaded, or a little blinded from the fumes of Haruhiism hype, but I don't really get why The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is so popular, nor do I think it's the funniest thing in the world.

I'm not going to try and convert you by saying why the show is so great since I don't know myself (it's probably just the fun factor). In fact, I almost didn't get into it myself; it's not exactly a good sign when the odd sequence of episodes is hurting the enjoyment. It isn't the best thing in the world (is anything?), but I'm not going to try and force my opinion onto others; that's just rude and stupid.

Quote:
Personally, I hope it's one of those series that “gets better,” because right now, I'm kind of confused where all the hype is coming from. Give me some time; maybe I'll be converted yet.

Don't get your hopes up. If you weren't particularly enchanted by these episodes, I highly doubt you'll suddenly fall in love with it later on (especially since I've seen complaints about how half the series is "just filler").
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
ooh a new Sheld Life! Just what i need before i run out and buy some new dvds.

I was also like that with MoHS...I didn't understand why it was loved by almost everyone- or what the big deal was. Then i saw it and loved it. My friend however feels more like the reviewer- he pretty much called the show within the frist five-ten minutes of the 1st episode and was upset he got it right. So he refuses to watch anymore now.

i'm not really feeling Karin. I didn't really enjoy Chbi Vampire- and i've seen reivews go both ways- the anime is better the manga is...i'll just let that title go for for now.

Freedom...makes me sad. Whe compaines start to upgrade these dvds am I going to have to look forwarf to higher prices? I know that Bandai is on a new kick right now- but thats something thats been bugging me. When everyone decides to jump into HD and Blu Ray how much is it going to cost me outside of the new dvd player i have to buy?

*rubs hands together* I've been waiting on Beck. I can't wait to see it.

Now if only they'd mark Peach Girl Dvd 2 down to $9.99 like they did Vol. 1 at Best Buy...

Vangie looks evil. No offense to his owner. Also- is that Garudamon on the second shelf from the bottom near the right side?
Nice collection btw. And nice column!

...on a side note: is it funny to anyone esle that all of the titles reviewed were suppouse to be about teenagers- but they all look either way to old or far too young?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Freedom...makes me sad. Whe compaines start to upgrade these dvds am I going to have to look forwarf to higher prices? I know that Bandai is on a new kick right now- but thats something thats been bugging me. When everyone decides to jump into HD and Blu Ray how much is it going to cost me outside of the new dvd player i have to buy?

I'm pretty sure you're not gonna have to worry about that too much, as Bandai Visual USA charges high prices regardless of the medium. I'm sure the other publishers (such as FUNimation, ADV, Bandai Entertainment, Geneon, etc) will charge more reasonable prices (more akin to their prices now) when they eventually make their respective changes in medium.
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, the Peach Girl manga is much, much easier to stomach than the show. I am really disappointed in how...stale the show seems, in the art and everything. It just seems really dull, whereas the manga is entertaining (until you read Sae's Story, which is just sad in the fact that she just doesn't get any nicer).
luhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I've always been baffled as well by the people who say Haruhi is so fresh and innovative. I don't hate the show by any means; it's certainly entertaining most of the time and the animation is top-notch. I just don't see anything particularly special about it. Maybe I've watched too much anime, but I always felt like it was full of high school life jokes I'd seen many times before.

Disappointed to read that about Peach Girl. I was considering picking it up, but now maybe I'll hold off for a while.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Freedom is worth a "rental", at least, if that rental equals $2.

The storyline is fairly unremarkable; like "Rebuild of Akira-Lite" or something. That being said, it made for nice rental. But I do sympathize with anyone who had to shell out $25 or more for this.

As a side note, I lent the DVD to a buddy of mine, before mailing it back. After he watched it and returned it to me, he had this to say:

"That was decent. Has this been licensed?"

Yes. That's what he said. I kid you not. And he's not new to anime buying either; his R1 collection is nothing to sneeze at. Looks like BVUSA's "bare-bones" treatment of Freedom made one fan initially think that their release of it didn't even qualify as a North American one. Rolling Eyes
Nermal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see BECK is shelf worthy; I'm waiting for my special edition to come in the mail any day now.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really into rock/music or anything of the kind, but Beck looks very interesting. Might give it a try to see if I like the characters.

Yay for Zoids! *has about 25 Zoids sitting on the shelf above her* They're my favorite model kits. The designs are so clever, they can go through these complicated walk cycles on a single AA battery... It's a pity Tomy stopped putting any money into new Zoids production, so all we get now are these crappy Neo-Blox zoids. Confused
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi Rental!?

I'll forgive you this once for putting BECK on Shelf Worthy. Razz

Also, onto the column itself..

You sound very critical of Freedom and I'm wondering why it's not in the perishable bin. I suppose one could pass it on as something of an HD curiousity and that's just about the only good thing about it. Meh, it's a decade too late at least for an Akira-lite anyway.

Karin sounds...generic? Ah well, if I have the money I might just rent it (It's rental after all) but otherwise I'm not particularly hyped up.

Everything I heard about Peach Girl points me towards intense irritation, so I'm not going near the show. Like I said in the Pet Peeves thread, drama is fine, melodrama is not. And yes, I like to quote myself as if I'm some sort of a modern Seneca.

I'm very much on the Haruhiism ride and totally agree on it being the greatest thing since television (sliced bread is a little old...), and me being a devoted fan of the show, I guess we have to differ here 'til the world's gone down. Instead, I'll just put on a pretentious, flaming rant on how Haruhi fans have really, really gone overboard with that stuff. Sure, I love the show just as much as you people do, but please stop acting like a bunch of ten years old in a Transformers movie theater [/jab] every time someone mentions Hare Hare Yukai or tries to dance to it like a bunch of boy band idiots. The overblown hype is ruining everybody else's perception of it! Like this:
britannicamoore wrote:
My friend however feels more like the reviewer- he pretty much called the show within the frist five-ten minutes of the 1st episode and was upset he got it right. So he refuses to watch anymore now.
...which sounds very much like his friend is being affected negatively by all the fanboyism craptastica all over the 'net. You've just lost yourself a faithful, Haruhi fanbois.

Put it more politely, you can have your fun but I can have my outrage and a rant!

It's a bad sign when Lucky Star has been insisting on using Haruhi-related stuff to demonstrate the super-popular-among-otaku symbols and the obsessive otaku habits the whole show while only making Fumoffu references when it's actually funny >.<

[/should send this to Answerman]

Of BECK, while I like it very much (planning on buying all the DVD's as they come, a rarity for my boxset-buying boxhead butt) I think some of your praises might be lessened for later volumes. Don't get me wrong, it's consistently great throughout, but even that after a while you can get really sick of some of the band's signature songs. That stupid Engrish rap was kinda okay the first time, second, or even third, but I'm sick of it the tenth time onwards.

At least if they're gonna show them play some songs often they should use a better song like "Face" or something -.-"

Oh, and I'm not sure if it's just me but I've got this feeling that BECK's Japanese dub is played out quite differently from your average anime. I don't know, it seems more...subdued? I've got the impression it's more realistic but since I don't know Japanese at all I can't say that for sure.

And you've got to mention this every time someone talks about BECK, but Maho is hot. Wink
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that Beck has received praise in this article.

On a side note:

I prefer to watch the dubbed version because the songs feat. Greg Ayres' and others' voice (especially "Moon on the Water") is way better IMO compared to the Japanese voice actors'. (When you have a Japenese voice actor attempt to sing english songs, the accent is just so thick it sounds awkward...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6