• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
There are multiple funimation ads running on the site. Which ad are you referring to ?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Chris Macdonald--

Please be advised that that there is a Funimation advertisement that occasionally shows up in the top right corner;* it is advertising the Cowboy Bebop contest that ended some days ago and clicking on it brings up another tab that goes to a Funimation page dealing with their Cowboy Bebop offerings (T-shirts, BDs and DVDs). I realize that that with everything else that you have to deal with, that you have bigger fish to fry; however, if maybe Dan has some time, then perhaps he could look into this matter.

I wish you well.

--nbahn

*I am using a netbook with a Chromium (Linux OS) browser.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what specific ad it is, but I've had to terminate the Flash process in Chrome twice so far due to Venatus ads dragging my whole computer down - at one point it was using 1.4GB of memory and over 25% CPU time. I do have multiple tabs open so there are multiple ads running. They are the sort that play videos on load in the top right corner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
The auto-running Dodge Ram ad from Gorilla Nation strikes again. I am glad to be able to read & confirm the by-line, but the report link doesn't do anything. Testing the other report-ad links on the page does generate the notification script-box.
Soulpiece

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
For some reason whenever I get on the site in my laptop, I see an anime or manga ad then it changes right away to those click here ads or a random online store
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
The Stelera ads expand and contain autoplaying audio and video that starts when the page loads, without mouseover.

Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm having huge performance issues with the square Venatus video ads again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
chaostheory7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
When viewing on tablet the ad on the side stays when zooming in covering up content making it hard to read. I don't know if it's all ads, as the only one in getting is one of funimations that says brand new releases and a picture of sankarea[/code]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I've been disabling flash on work PCs because the wretched Venatus video ads just kill them and recently took the step of doing so at home as well since when you open 5 tabs and they all have a flash video in them the fan noise starts to get intrusive.
Well, I'm now getting lots of HTML5 video ads. They're not as processor intensive as the flash ones at least, but a lot of them play sound automatically on load. When you've got your speakers turned up trying to listed to weak audio from taped convention panels while at the same time opening a bunch of ANN tabs and suddenly finding loud music blaring out of nowhere in triplicate....
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I happened to open resource manager to look for any sign of Windows 10 downloading itself and I wondered why there was so much network activity from Chrome when I wasn't downloading anything... it's worth mentioning that tonight I'm getting a lot of "anyclip" ads from Venatus which are persistently looping through what look to be film trailers at 200-300kbps (and at one point I saw over 500kbps). I you had a metered internet connection and happened to walk away and leave a page or two open, you could conceivably chew through a lot of bandwidth.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to look into taking Venatus off the site.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I am incredibly frustrated because when I load a page from this site on my Blackberry Curve's Opera Mini browser, the page loads, and then immediately starts loading again, leaving me with a couple of ads that I can't click past, and that's all that's there. Two ads, Underneath there are three phrases: "AdChoices" "Ad Covers The Page" and "Stop Seeing This Ad", but I can't click on any of the options So it's a click through ad that I can't click through.. The only way I can see any given page is by hovering over the "Stop" button as it loads, and stop it precisely after the page loads, but before the intrusive ad does, but most of the time, I'm not quick enough. Help!
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I am incredibly frustrated because when I load a page from this site on my Blackberry Curve's Opera Mini browser,
Help!

I had the same thing just over 4 hours ago on Opera for Android and have screen captures of the URL's if needed.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
This should be fixed now, can you confirm that you are no longer experiencing this problem ?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had the problem today! Thank you so much!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 26