• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mikagura School Suite

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The best two things about this show?

1. It streams on Tuesdays.
2. It is not terrible.

Right? Counting holdovers from previous seasons, I'm following 25 shows this spring - over half of which air throughout the weekend. Aside from this and Euphonium, Tuesdays are pretty much open. Also, like you said, not being terrible helps.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
I just love it for the utter novelty of a female Yuri-inclined (or even heavily obsessed) LEAD in a show that does not fall exclusively into some kind of Yuri/Shoujo Ai category (like most Slice-of-Life yuri does). That's not just rare, it's pretty much the first I've seen doing something like that.

It's also plenty funny so far.

It's interesting considering if this type of story starred a male lead with similar attributes as Eruna, this would have been outright ignored for being really derivative. Quite amusing how novelty changes like having a character like Eruna be a lead in these tried-and-true stories does give it some oomph.

(well, as long the series doesn't do anything dumb like pull a bait-and-switch lesbian)
MysticMew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I fear she ends up falling for a boy. After being educated on Class S through Yurikuma last season and my general experience with how series that seem to have some Yuri-inclination like this end, I find this a very realistic fear. Let's hope not. Even just staying away from any serious romance and just keeping it a superficial, comedy element would be better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If there's any kind of intelligent plot here, it's buried under eight tons of glitter.

If you were taking a walk, and suddenly came across eight literal tons of glitter in a huge, sparkly pile, would you really think to yourself, "I wonder what's buried underneath this pile of glitter?" Someone went out of their way to gather this much glitter together. Maybe the glitter itself is the point.

There's a band here in the U.S. called Coheed and Cambria, who release concept albums based on incredibly derivative-sounding science fiction stories that their lead singer wrote when he was in high school. There's a character named "Supreme Tri-Mage Wilhelm Ryan", and another character who is a talking ten-speed bicycle... the stories are arguably awful, but the music is arguably very good, if a bit pretentious - a few years back, Rolling Stone called them "the new Led Zeppelin".

Coheed and Cambria released comic books based on the lead singer's sci fi stories. The first few issues had terrible art, and even worse story, but people bought them anyway, because they liked the music. Eventually, the art got better, but that's hardly the point.

The appeal of this show is pretty much the same... the difference is, everything about Mikagura School Suite feels above-average so far. If every episode is at least as decent as the first two, then I'm willing to let the songs carry the anime adaptation's weight from a storytelling perspective.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
Yeah, I fear she ends up falling for a boy. After being educated on Class S through Yurikuma last season and my general experience with how series that seem to have some Yuri-inclination like this end, I find this a very realistic fear. Let's hope not. Even just staying away from any serious romance and just keeping it a superficial, comedy element would be better.

I'm at the end of the fifth light novel right now, and if you want to know whether something like that is going to happen, my answer (without spoiling any details) is that spoiler[you really have nothing to worry about at all.]

Specifically (serious spoilers):

In Book 4, spoiler[Eruna finally meets up with Otone, a super-powerful freshman girl. Eruna likes Otone, Otone like Eruna.] There is nothing subtle about any of this.

Book 4 ends with spoiler[Otone and Eruna "moving in together" i.e. Otone pushes her sleeping bag up against Eruna's.] About two thirds of Book 5 is about spoiler[Eruna and Otone's adorable relationship.]

The author has stated that the anime will include all of this.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Loving this series as it`s such a straightforward show with a lesbian character. Most yuri always takes everything so slow and heavy. She needs to stop hurting bimii though, I really can`t stand that she keeps abusing him.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
I showed an episode of this series to my brother, and he asked me if it was based on a visual novel where the player just walks around and makes friends with people. I told him it was based on a series of Vocaloid songs, and he made a noise that only little brothers are capable of making.

Some observations about Episode Three:

Eruna's interactions with Seisa this episode paralleled her interactions with her mom at the beginning of the series (yes, that was her mom, not her sister, and we were apparently just supposed to know that), including a callback to episode one's line spoiler[about how Eruna does better when she's praised.]

The show continues to demonstrate that Eruna assumes everything is going to work out for her no matter how little effort she puts into her goals. In Episode 1, she goofed off during Golden Week, and things worked out anyway. This episode, spoiler[this attitude causes things to blow up in her face for the first time. The main reason why she wasn't prepared to go up against Seisa was that she never seriously considered the possibility that she'd be defeated. When you think there is no way you can lose, you don't try very hard to win.]

Based on the show's current pacing, we still have a few episodes before this series becomes too cute for words (spoiler picture), so if you're on the fence, don't fall off quite yet.
sarroush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
MysticMew wrote:

I'm at the end of the fifth light novel right now, and if you want to know whether something like that is going to happen, my answer (without spoiling any details) is that spoiler[you really have nothing to worry about at all.]

In Book 4, spoiler[Eruna finally meets up with Otone, a super-powerful freshman girl. Eruna likes Otone, Otone like Eruna.] There is nothing subtle about any of this.

Book 4 ends with spoiler[Otone and Eruna "moving in together" i.e. Otone pushes her sleeping bag up against Eruna's.] About two thirds of Book 5 is about spoiler[Eruna and Otone's adorable relationship.]

Awww. spoiler[I'm happy that she doesn't end up with a guy so far, as that was one of my fears as well, but I really hoped it would be with Seisa instead Sad. The last scene in Ep 3 just melted my heart and made me go all "HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGHH!!!!!!!!!"]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
sarroush wrote:
Awww. spoiler[I'm happy that she doesn't end up with a guy so far, as that was one of my fears as well, but I really hoped it would be with Seisa instead Sad. The last scene in Ep 3 just melted my heart and made me go all "HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGHH!!!!!!!!!"]

spoiler[Eruna and Seisa] have a relationship that follows the Rosa Chinensis code of sempai-kouhai interaction (generally, most anime with Class S elements follow the Rosa Chinensis code, unless they end with everyone dying). Karl Kimlinger does a great job talking about the most famous Rosa Chinensis sempai, Sachiko, and her kouhai, Yumi, so click on that if you want to know more about them.

Basically, though, any Rosa Chinensis (the sempai) has the duty to "wrap and protect" her kouhai in a warmth that melts away anxiety, impatience, and self-hatred. Any Rosa Chinensis en Bouton (the kouhai) has the duty to stand next to her sempai and "support" her (Sachiko's specific command to Yumi is: “I just need a sister that will watch me, by my side. Just be with me, and when I become lonely, hold my hand").

The Rosa Chinensis sempai is almost universally a perfect beauty from a rich family who has a cold or severe temperament. This is almost always a facade that hides her inner pain, which is so severe that she is always on the verge of a complete nervous breakdown. The Rosa Chinensis kouhai is almost always inexperienced, undisciplined, and ungraceful. She is a newcomer, and her bubbly personality is the coping mechanism she employs to avoid her fears and insecurities. By the end of the story, the kouhai has learned the tools her sempai used to control her emotions, and becomes the sempai to a new kouhai (usually some kind of tsundere character).

Depending on how much subtext is involved, Rosa Chinensis-style relationships look a lot like yuri relationships. Yet, they are the least likely of the three Roses to display physical intimacy towards each other (that form of interaction belongs to the savagely possessive Rosa Foetida sisters), and the least likely to display lust toward each other (the tragically unfulfilled Rosa Gigantea sisters).

spoiler[There will be a point when this show will clearly indicate that Otone and Eruna both want real intimacy from each other. Otone is well-loved by the fanbase.]

That doesn't mean that the author isn't constantly teasing the audience with subtext.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I think that the bringing down a peg was done a little more than at first glance. It was essentially what the drama guy did to the first year rep of the astronomy club, he purely did in a bid to humiliate him. And it looks like it could very likely be what the first scene in the first episode was when Seisa was attacked by her senpai.

Actually looked like Seisa realised that she was being too harsh in the end. as she realised she did what she hated.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think that the bringing down a peg was done a little more than at first glance. It was essentially what the drama guy did to the first year rep of the astronomy club, he purely did in a bid to humiliate him. And it looks like it could very likely be what the first scene in the first episode was when Seisa was attacked by her senpai.

Actually looked like Seisa realised that she was being too harsh in the end. as she realised she did what she hated.

I beg to differ. While I do agree that there's an overlap with what was done to Seisa in the past and the actions she took against Eruna. But I attribute it more as a symbolism to the hierarchical order instilled in the students ("honor thy senpai", "Club President is above all members", "no sophomore is above senior, and no freshman is above sophomore" and so on), with Eruna's actions and behavior post-defeat caused Seisa to either realize that there's another way to cope with (and within) the System, or that she (Seisa) found "the One" who can cope being within the System without losing one's enthusiasm or ideals.

Looked at from that point of view, Akama Yūto's (Drama Club's representative; a second-year student) "demonstration" against Imizu Asuhi, the first-year Astronomy Club member, makes more sense: goal #1 - empower his position and secure the admiration of the Drama Club's freshmen. Goal #2 - teach the meaning of being within the System to the first-year.

It is a passive-aggressive teenage rebellion show, basically.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
sarroush wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
MysticMew wrote:

spoiler[I'm sure she'll try to go for the harem end]. Can't just leave Seisha, hamster-girl and other cute girls all alone without her afterall.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
We don't know why Yuto shows up and decides to fight Asuhi, but we know that they have some kind of pre-existing relationship with each other because of how they talk to each other. I was pretty sure that Yuto didn't use any honorifics when he addressed Asuhi, which might mean he doesn't respect naming conventions, but I checked, and he calls Eruna "Ichinomiya-chan". Calling Asuhi by his first name instead of "Imizu-san" implies he is closer to Asuhi than he is to Eruna.

Calling Asuhi by his first name without an honorific usually means two characters are very close.

Yuto calls the members of his club by their nicknames, but that's apparently because his senior, Nyamirin, wants everyone to be animal-themed. She also carries a scythe, interestingly.

Asuhi calls Yuto "Akama-senpai". That implies that he follows normal decorum when referring to his seniors.

The one element of the battles that no one's talked about yet has been the abilities, which - when combined with the focal items - are supposed to reflect their users.

Why is Yuto's ability called Coup d'etat Faker? Why does it make copies of him that aren't real? I think maybe he's having trouble deciding what kind of role to play in his life.

Why is Asuhi's ability called Shooting Star? Why can other people use it after he finishes charging it up? I think that Asuhi is talented, but he lives for the sake of others.

Why is Seisa's ability called Killing Art? Why doesn't she need a focal item to use it? I don't think she likes fighting very much.

Why is Eruna's ability called Toy Gun? Why didn't it work? I think Eruna's most endearing quality is that she's a fun person to be around, but she needs to focus on what is important in order to achieve her goals.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

I beg to differ. While I do agree that there's an overlap with what was done to Seisa in the past and the actions she took against Eruna. But I attribute it more as a symbolism to the hierarchical order instilled in the students ("honor thy senpai", "Club President is above all members", "no sophomore is above senior, and no freshman is above sophomore" and so on), with Eruna's actions and behavior post-defeat caused Seisa to either realize that there's another way to cope with (and within) the System, or that she (Seisa) found "the One" who can cope being within the System without losing one's enthusiasm or ideals.

Looked at from that point of view, Akama Yūto's (Drama Club's representative; a second-year student) "demonstration" against Imizu Asuhi, the first-year Astronomy Club member, makes more sense: goal #1 - empower his position and secure the admiration of the Drama Club's freshmen. Goal #2 - teach the meaning of being within the System to the first-year.

It is a passive-aggressive teenage rebellion show, basically.

How is that "beg to differ" from what I said? You simply went into what my point of view was in why it is not random for the setting of a Japanese highschool, a setting where upperclassmen show their superiority and gain respect at the expense of underclassmen. I have seen it pop up in other anime where upperclassmen make the new members do all the grunt work because that was what was done to them.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
How is that "beg to differ" from what I said? You simply went into what my point of view was in why it is not random for the setting of a Japanese highschool, a setting where upperclassmen show their superiority and gain respect at the expense of underclassmen. I have seen it pop up in other anime where upperclassmen make the new members do all the grunt work because that was what was done to them.

You presented Seisa's action as a repentance for what she has done to Eruna until that point; I interpreted her action as those of anticipation or confirmation. I didn't feel - from the scene's tone and other subtleties - that Seisa is sorry for what she has done, nor how she's done it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5