• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's When Marnie Was There English Dub Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I love the richness of Ghibli's animation and just how they do things that will appeal to just about anybody. I hope this isn't their last feature film and they continue to stay true to their vision.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I prefer dubs but this film's dub is fudging ruined now.

Hailee Steinfeld
Vanessa L. Williams
Geena Davis

I hate them all, especially Geena Davis.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Hailee Steinfeld
Vanessa L. Williams
Geena Davis

...perhaps you should keep your opinions to yourself. Twisted Evil
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Please expand out to more cities. Pleeeeeease. Last time GKids got ahold of Patema Inverted, and that never came to my state even after the "wide release". Sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for some English actors, like what Disney did with Ghibli films they dubbed. I wouldn't usually care, but given the origin of the source marital.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Hailee Steinfeld
Vanessa L. Williams
Geena Davis

Any sane individual will watch as its supposed to be watched: In JAPANESE with subtitles. Problem solved.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
@Madoka...AYUKAWA! Actually if we use your logic, any sane individual would watch it as it's supposed to be watched in Japanese WITHOUT subtitles, since the film wasn't made with subtitles. Secondly, both versions are severely flawed, since neither of them use professional voice actors.

As for my take on the cast, it's what I just said. I really dislike when animated films lack voice actors. Because people believe the myth that your movie makes more based on who's in it, GKIDS(and Disney/Ghibli for that matter) have been reluctant to use actual voice actors, with voice acting experience and passion. BTW, using a few anime voice actors as bit roles is not sufficient, nor are they good examples.

Voice acting is not about being "realistic" or "natural". It's about being believable enough to fit the character. You just don't hear in these dubs. Given that the production values of these individual dubs could fund a mid-high cour of anime, one has to ask. Aren't Disney/GKIDS just wasting their money? You could do a better dub with anime veterans for a fraction of the cost.

Don't give me the "overused" cannard, either. VAs with experience and skill are superior to people without skill/experience. That's how life is. You don't hire people because they're "new" or "fresh". You hire people because they're good. You wouldn't hire a trainee dentist over a 15 year veteran for the sake of "freshness" now would ya? It's about efficiency.

It's a shame that Ghibli are so blinded by money and not by talent. This is the same Ghibli who used the voice of Kuririn in their VERY FIRST movie. This is the Ghibli who used Akio Otsuka are the 2nd PROTAGONIST. This is the same Ghibli who made a TV special using solely high caliber, experienced voice actors. What happened? Where are all the good, authentic voice actors? Ditto for Disney, although Disney never used real voice actors for the dubs of Ghibli movies.

Le sigh. Sad
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
@animechic420:
Oh shut up -_-'

@Madoka...AYUKAWA!:
Speaking of sanity, you'd have to be crazy to think you're experiencing anime in its truest form when you watch subs. Unless you're fluent in the Japanese language and are familiar with various dialects, you will NEVER experience anime in its truest form for 2 reasons:

1) Any form of translation, weather it be dubs or subs will make compromises, but as long as the general meaning is the same, there's no reason to complain in that department

2) The creators NEVER intended to have words written at the top or bottom of the screen for the viewers to read throughout the picture. With subs, especially on anime with realistic acting, you CANNOT pick up on real character emotions, specifically hidden emotions and words that are emphasized by the characters.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Hailee Steinfeld
Vanessa L. Williams
Geena Davis

Any sane individual will watch as its supposed to be watched: In JAPANESE with subtitles. Problem solved.

Hm. So I'm not sane because I'd rather watch a show in a language I understand. Got it.

The dub seems okay, but not that great. I won't say much else until I watch it. And, nobody has to reveal it to me or anything, but judging by the trailer I have the sense that Marnie spoiler[ is a ghost/already dead or something. ] I may be WAY off, but that's my sense lol.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
The final Studio Ghibli dub its an end to a long era.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow page 1 and people are already starting the "dub vs sub vs no subs at all" debate. How about we all stop that now please before it actually becomes an issue. And let's please stop the rude "keep your opinions to yourself" and "just shut up" bits too. Let's all play nice now. Thank you.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
The dub sounds pretty good (and this is coming from someone who prefers raw Japanese all the way). Honestly, the Japanese voice acting wasn't very good at all. It was done by live-action models and actresses, and they sound very... Stilted? Marnie's "I love you, Anna!" sounded like Willy Wonka's "Please, don't, come back."
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

Honestly, the Japanese voice acting wasn't very good at all. It was done by live-action models and actresses, and they sound very... Stilted? Marnie's "I love you, Anna!" sounded like Willy Wonka's "Please, don't, come back."

Stuff like these, people, who don't know enough of a language, won't pick up.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
@Madoka...AYUKAWA! Actually if we use your logic, any sane individual would watch it as it's supposed to be watched in Japanese WITHOUT subtitles, since the film wasn't made with subtitles. Secondly, both versions are severely flawed, since neither of them use professional voice actors.

As for my take on the cast, it's what I just said. I really dislike when animated films lack voice actors. Because people believe the myth that your movie makes more based on who's in it, GKIDS(and Disney/Ghibli for that matter) have been reluctant to use actual voice actors, with voice acting experience and passion. BTW, using a few anime voice actors as bit roles is not sufficient, nor are they good examples.

Voice acting is not about being "realistic" or "natural". It's about being believable enough to fit the character. You just don't hear in these dubs. Given that the production values of these individual dubs could fund a mid-high cour of anime, one has to ask. Aren't Disney/GKIDS just wasting their money? You could do a better dub with anime veterans for a fraction of the cost.

Actually, Ghibli is the one that has the hand in creating the dubs. So if you want to place blame you should consult with them. I believe their customer service line is very helpful. Ignoring that, I don't necessarily agree with your viewpoints. Especially in that only professional voice actors can turn out good performances in animation. Hello? Robin Williams from Aladdin? And I personally thought Christian Bale was great in Howl's Moving Castle. And it's not like those acotrs don't already have a lot of experience in the field of acting itself. I know that's not really the same as voice acting for animation, but you shouldn't just disregard the profession so easily.

Also, I don't know why you want them to get mainstream anime voice actors for these films. Most of them are fine in my eyes, but they're nowhere near the level of actual voice actors for a lot of western animation. A lot of them just seem way too over emotive and like they're trying way too hard. I wouldn't want to hear them spitting out awkward lines in my precious Ghibli films. And one reason why they do the star-studded dubs is actually because those actors are big fans of Ghibli, and consider it an honor to voice a role in their films. Whereas with pretty much any other anime you'd be hard pressed to find famous people willing to voice in something like Attack on Titan, especially under a reasonable budget. Aside from Robin Williams stating that he wanted to voice Gendo Ikari in the Rebuild films that one time.

Well now that that's out of they way... Can't wait to see this film! I'm always down for a good mystery, which this film looks to focus around a very interesting one. And of course I'll watch anything done by Ghibli. I just hope, as I'm sure many others do as well, that this isn't truly their last film. But if it does stay that way, at least their legacy will live on. And we'll always have their classic films to enjoy, even if new ones aren't being produced in the near future. Not to forget that many previous Ghibli staffers are now working on their own anime projects. Aside from that, Mamoru Hosoda's films are perfect spiritual successors to Ghibli's style of filmmaking that I can always look forward to every few years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1