• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wish Upon the Pleiades (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote

Wish Upon the Pleiades (TV)

Genre: adventure, comedy, magic
Themes: magical girl, moe, school

Plot Summary: Subaru is a young girl who discovers that her best friend Aoi is part of magical group trying to recover alien engine fragments so that a little being from the Pleiades star system can return to his home. Subaru considers joining them as she was selected by the Pleiadian, president of this afterschool club, as the possible new member.
----------------------------------

I took the above information from the page of the ONA, which I have not seen, but am guessing will probably be largely the same with the ONA not a needed watch.

Episode 1

In my opinion there was a real problem with this episode, and the word is "cohesion". It has many aspects I should greatly enjoy with the magical girls, but the way they present it is just not cohesive. Kind of ridiculous when you consider some of the ridiculous random things that have been in other new shows, and this one hit a blunder.

Going past that problem, this seems to be a magical girl anime which actually is not dark, no sexuality, and seems to be pretty sincere. It has some very nice elements that could make it a good watch for a few age groups. It was not what you would call amazing animation, but in general it was quite nice, it looked good with some interesting characters.

Going back to the problem with this first episode was how it presented the relationship problems between Subaru and Aoi. It felt like they were trying to say something, but it just seemed to be going in circles without proper context for what the issue was. This could be fixed in future episodes, so that is what I will wait for for now.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
I am with Rebecca on this one... This has honestly been one of the few things outside certain name titles (Vivid, Highschool DxD, Digimon... whatever happened to this anyway?) that I have been looking forward to. It seemed like one of the things I would enjoy and was happy when the episode came up..... But yeah, it feels like something that for all its elements I should have enjoyed but could not quite do so. Maybe it will get better? I'll give it a few more episodes first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda meh on this. I wasn't fan of the original OVAs either but decided to give this a try. I think it's the way the story just feels so simple right now and although I like the characters, I don't feel attached to them yet. Well, it is the first episode so I might change my mind later.

Not too impressive imo but cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The best relationship imo in this series is Sspoiler[abaru and Minato so far. There's just a strange connections the two has so far. There's also some world fiction stuff going on and that creature seems to have a role in this story as well.]

Curious to see how far they will take the magic theme in this show though.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I am still not sure. And considering I was looking forward to this..... I still have that same feeling that Rebecca described so aptly: I should be loving this but somehow I can't... quite... not yet. This ep was a step up but a lot is still so very vague and all over the place that I can't bring myself to fully enjoy this.

spoiler[So... Are Minato and that guy that is stealing the engine parts the same? Personally I am willing to bet on it that they are somehow connected at least.]
kaijuerotica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
It's good, but it's no Evangelion.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I think that the biggest problem with the cohesion is that they are really suffering at communication, it is so hard to understand what the characters mean. For example the show made it clear that indeed something was wrong with the characters all sharing a desk or shoe locker or something, but did not go into detail of what it meant. It should have been really easy to say that spoiler[somehow their own personal worlds crossover where they each are in the same situation of all going to the same school, and the same situation in that school]. But we just get a line somewhere about spoiler[threads of fate and it characters suddenly say things about the other not being the one they know] and stuff.

It just comes across as really confusing as there is an issue in pulling everything together. With a little work everything could make sense, but someone messed up making sure each scene properly elaborates and flows into each other. An example be like when spoiler[three girls say they will check something out and the other two say they will take a rest, next thing we see is that the two girls are sitting in the classroom in a way that did not match the taking a small rest claim]. In fact did we even get a reason why spoiler[they needed to rest when the situation was likely one that could use all of them]?

I kind of feel like I am in a situation where I am reading bad subtitles, but I don't think that is the issue.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I think... You hit it really well. This anime lacks a certain red thread to be sure, things just happen and often with very little connection and explanation.

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to this... Well, there's always the chance that it's one of these anime that take several episodes of medicoreness that makes you almost want to drop it before becoming good. Just hoping here. Wink
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the latest episode's magical elements was quite fantastic in regards to the action. It just has just spoiler[magical feel to it when the girls were up in the space. The stratosphere scene also felt natural even though the characters were in swimsuits Wink]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I think that the sudden fanservice like scenes with spoiler[swimsuits and pointing out chest sizes] was unneeded.

But it was actually countered quite well with the spoiler[deep sea scenes and leading up to waterspout (with lightning) and then stratosphere]. I think that if it can do more that then I will be interested. Otherwise some parts felt a little forced.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Not going to lie, that moment when the spoiler[girls were riding towards the moon in the sky was phenomenal]. Just a magical moment like E.T.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Decent episode. spoiler[I liked the comedy from the beginning with the outfits/play and then to a bit of characterization involving Itsuki. Not sure how I feel about her past but I do like how the show fleshes out these characters individually.]

And as for the rest, it had that magical moment again in the sky and even a bit of bizarreness. I mean spoiler[Saturn]? Hmm.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

There does seem to be parts in this series that work quite well when the girls end up in another "world", like the deep ocean or the moon, and spoiler[literally this episode when they ended up at Saturn's ring]. There are times when some liberation with space in spoiler[showing the planets] can be good, and at the same time there seems to be a lot of actual space knowledge that it is kind of fun for that reason too.

I liked kind of showing that Itsuki was a spoiler[bit of a tomboy despite her usual girly demeanour].
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or was it getting hot (in temperature) this week? Razz

Cute moments of Aoi/Subaru this episode as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2