• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Trapped at a Convention

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Oh god, it's these kinds of people at conventions which give anime a bad name.

Related to this though, I'm contributing over 20 hours of volunteer time at Tekkoshocon next weekend. It's the first time I've ever worked at a con, so it's going to be a new experience for me.

Good luck to you. I volunteered at Tekkoshocon twice and it was a nightmare both times. The staff treated the volunteers like crap, even the ones that were actually working hard. The industry guests the second year, in particular an ADR director, we're just awful people. They were rude, made terrible comments about the people attending and anime fans in general, and completely took advantage of the volunteers.

However, Tekkoshocon was taken over by a new group this year, so I hope you have a better experience than I did.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Mother of God that Saber Marionette guy sounds nasty, I literally feel sick.

What year was this exactly I wonder?
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Wow that was a painful read made me thankful I've never gone to a convention, and extremely thankful for my non Otaku friends. If I want that cringe inducing experience of some sectors of Anime fandom I can save my money and time and go to 4chan.

Yeah, nah the majority mentality on 4chan is heavily "anti-weeb." Try Gaia online.

Anywho, the con experience for me is an eclectic mix of excitement, fascination, awkwardness and exhaustion when I went to Western cons such as AX and Otakon.

Japanese cons like Comiket and Anime Japan have a very different feel and is more in line to the old school cons that have been mentioned. Demographics were mainly 20+ male/female and generally polite and quiet about their hobbies not to mention easy to talk to (if you know Japanese.). No screaming "Marco Polo" or the now extinct Yaoi paddles to be witnessed there. Of course, there were the definitive "kimota" in the midst but just as its Western counterparts' population is changin, the J scene too as well.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
At these conventions, particularly the ones open to the younger crowd, that's where you get the worst kind of weebs imaginable. The ones who get their entire perspective of Japan from anime and manga, while creating stories for our enjoyment that fill r/WeeabooTales.

Well, when I meet my first American when I was about 12 I asked him with my broken english: "Do you like Starcraft?" Very Happy

Though in terms of manga I think that they indeed represent a very broad perspective for Japanese culture. Miyazaki even said that manga infiltrated Japanese culture to such an extent that even the way they think and the way live action film directors direct is heavily manga influenced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5