• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 3: Rebellion

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tachikoma1701

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
[quote="Polycell"]Where was it established that Madoka had precognition? Are you sure you weren't thinking of when she saw all the timelines Homura had been through?[quote]

Because she said this in the last episode of TV series:
http://imgur.com/a/ncJa4
Picture tell more than words...
Laughing

[quote="Polycell"]I'd have to watch the movie again to be definitely sure on this scene, but a couple of things come to mind:

1) Madoka started freaking out about Homura tearing her apart almost immediately
2) Homura had seemingly sealed off Madoka from her powers for most of the movie[quote]

So what? How is this an answer to my questions? Homura wasn't the one who sealed off Madoka from her powers, it was Incubator's isolation field. Which was breached near the end of the movie, that's why Madokami appeared, whereas it was impossible before.So, still no answers...

[quote="Polycell"]]Homura didn't bring Sayaka back to life; she just entered Homura's labrynth same as Madoka and Nagisa.
Quote:

But in the end of the movie Sayaka is alive agian, in real world, world rewritten by Humura! So, my point still stands.

[quote="Polycell"]Did you seriously miss Kyubey's reason for his actions? It was entirely about studying the law of the cycle, defeating it and harvesting the power of witches, which is entirely along the lines of his established motivations. On the other hand, trapping Homura in the series would be entirely out of character; she poses no threat to Madoka's life, so she's little more than an inconvenience and an enigma(given their nature, an unexplained magical girl is definitely something QB would be wary of).

As for Madoka's wish, it's made quite clear that he didn't have any choice in granting it.

You missed the point entirely Sad The point is that Kyubey would never do such thing. Kyubey NEVER interfered with wishes and now he was trying to undo Madoka's wish, by bring Witches back. Kyubey NEVER imprisoned anyone, for whatever reason and now he was imprisoning Homura. All of this just because plot demands it, not because it make any sense from character standpoint. In essence; it simply wasn't Kyubey.

And one more thing...I will paraphrase what youtube user, MrBtongue said about nonsensical ending of “Mass effect 3″:

“thematic and symbolic coherence are the product of narrative coherence, not substitute for it. If your story don’t make sense, it dosen’t metter how epic scope is, or how inspired symbolism is, how ambitious the themes. If your story doesn’t make sense you lose willing partycypation of your audience and in the process you lose everything else, even your own gip on it’s quality”

Same apply to “Rebellion”.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Tachikoma1701 wrote:
Because she said this in the last episode of TV series:
http://imgur.com/a/ncJa4
Looks like I forgot the second half of that comment. Point conceded, though the universe being rewritten does some like a squirrelly thing to fit into any sort of foresight.
Quote:
So what? How is this an answer to my questions? Homura wasn't the one who sealed off Madoka from her powers, it was Incubator's isolation field. Which was breached near the end of the movie, that's why Madokami appeared, whereas it was impossible before.So, still no answers...
Kyubey explicitly told Homura to call for Madoka as the Law of the Cycle with the isolation field up. It was the fact that she didn't remember what she was that prevented her from returning to being a goddess, same as at the tail end of the movie.
Quote:
But in the end of the movie Sayaka is alive agian, in real world, world rewritten by Humura! So, my point still stands.
Watch the scene again: Sayaka clearly remembers what happened before and was about to use her powers before Homura started working her memory magic. There's no reason to believe that Sayaka's any different at the end than she was before.
Quote:
You missed the point entirely Sad The point is that Kyubey would never do such thing. Kyubey NEVER interfered with wishes and now he was trying to undo Madoka's wish, by bring Witches back. Kyubey NEVER imprisoned anyone, for whatever reason and now he was imprisoning Homura. All of this just because plot demands it, not because it make any sense from character standpoint. In essence; it simply wasn't Kyubey.
Madoka's wish doesn't exist to Kyubey; she's simply a law of the universe to him, to be studied and controlled. As for taking prisoners, when did he ever have cause to before? All we ever saw in the series was his manipulative side.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
@Tachikoma1701
Homura didn’t seal off Madoka’s powers. The Goddess Madoka sent an avatar of herself into Homura’s egg, along with her angels, Sayaka and Nagisa. The surviving Magical Girls also went in. Madoka gave her memories to Sayaka and Nagisa, so that Kyubey wouldn’t get wise to Madoka as the Law of Cycles.
-
As to the ultimate ending, what does Homura actually have. Homura did say that the Law of Cycles still exits, that she only took a part of it. Does that mean the Goddess Madoka still exists, and all that Homura has is one of Madoka’s avatar’s.
Guess it comes down to the cosmology of what Goddess Madoka actually is. My understanding is that she is an actual part of the structure of the Universe and that her interactions with the lesser beings, (like us) are done using avatars.
The devil Homura had the power to restructure the physical universe, but did she have the power to also change the foundations of that universe, of which the Goddess Madoka is an actual part of. I think that remains to be seen.
Right now, I prefer to believe that all Homura has is an avatar of Madoka. Who know what the writers believe.
Stratum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@Tachikoma1701
Homura didn’t seal off Madoka’s powers. The Goddess Madoka sent an avatar of herself into Homura’s egg, along with her angels, Sayaka and Nagisa. The surviving Magical Girls also went in. Madoka gave her memories to Sayaka and Nagisa, so that Kyubey wouldn’t get wise to Madoka as the Law of Cycles.
-
As to the ultimate ending, what does Homura actually have. Homura did say that the Law of Cycles still exits, that she only took a part of it. Does that mean the Goddess Madoka still exists, and all that Homura has is one of Madoka’s avatar’s.
Guess it comes down to the cosmology of what Goddess Madoka actually is. My understanding is that she is an actual part of the structure of the Universe and that her interactions with the lesser beings, (like us) are done using avatars.
The devil Homura had the power to restructure the physical universe, but did she have the power to also change the foundations of that universe, of which the Goddess Madoka is an actual part of. I think that remains to be seen.
Right now, I prefer to believe that all Homura has is an avatar of Madoka. Who know what the writers believe.

Homura says "All I took was a tiny piece of it. Just the records of the person that Madoka was before she ceased to exist." This means that everything that contributed to Madoka's development so she could make her wish, such as learning to appreciate the efforts and sacrifices of others, has been removed. Something like that is bound to cause problems, such as the Law of the Cycle may gradually start to collapse or become some kind of cold uncaring system that only kills witches. Either way this will help set the story for the sequel.
Tachikoma1701

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Polycell... long time no see! Laughing

Quote:
Looks like I forgot the second half of that comment. Point conceded, though the universe being rewritten does some like a squirrelly thing to fit into any sort of foresight.

This still doesn't explain why Madoka didn't seen this coming...

Quote:
Kyubey explicitly told Homura to call for Madoka as the Law of the Cycle with the isolation field up. It was the fact that she didn't remember what she was that prevented her from returning to being a goddess, same as at the tail end of the movie

Whatever Rolling Eyes Her powers should work when isolation field was breached. If they didn' work, this entire "reuniting" with Homura woudn't happened in the first place...

Quote:
Watch the scene again: Sayaka clearly remembers what happened before and was about to use her powers before Homura started working her memory magic. There's no reason to believe that Sayaka's any different at the end than she was before

You don't get it. Rolling Eyes Whatever, Sayaka have her memories or not is irrelevant because she is alive again, therefore her entire previous character arc and decision she made in the end of episode 12 are undone. Her entire story from TV series is pointless, right now, because it's completely inconsequential; she got out of the jail free card. And that's sickening.

Quote:
Madoka's wish doesn't exist to Kyubey; she's simply a law of the universe to him, to be studied and controlled. As for taking prisoners, when did he ever have cause to before? All we ever saw in the series was his manipulative side.

Facepalm. Rolling Eyes He granted that wish in the first place! Doesn't matter, if he remembers this event or not; if he believed in story Homura told him in the end of episode 12 - and he must believe in it, in order to take an action he took in "Rebellion"- then he must have known that he was the one who granted Madoka's wish, a wish which turned her into this law of the universe. So, he knew damn well what he was doing - he was trying to udo a wish! A wish, which he granted in the first place! As for taking prisoners... yes, we only seen Kyubey's manipulative side, because that's all he ever did! My point is: if there was a different side to his character, if he had no problem taking prisoners and experimenting on them, then he wouldn't bother with the contracts in the first place! Rolling Eyes That's so obvious, that is painful... Homura was killing him over and over again in TV series, preventing him from making a contract with Madoka, and yet he never imprisoned Homura... Why? Because, Kyubey don't do such things - he is passive and manipulative, he is not an abductor or experimentator. I don't know who this guy in "Rebellion" was, but it wasn't Kyubey...
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Since you're not even bothering to address my arguments on the Sayaka situation, I'll just leave that alone.
Tachikoma1701 wrote:
Facepalm. Rolling Eyes He granted that wish in the first place! Doesn't matter, if he remembers this event or not; if he believed in story Homura told him in the end of episode 12 - and he must believe in it, in order to take an action he took in "Rebellion"- then he must have known that he was the one who granted Madoka's wish, a wish which turned her into this law of the universe. So, he knew damn well what he was doing - he was trying to udo a wish! A wish, which he granted in the first place!
Much the same as Homura in the series, Madoka's wish put her outside of the system for Rebellion. Whereas he spent most of the series trying to figure out Homura, he had Madoka spelled out for him. Therefore, he had not need to pussyfoot around and could proceed directly to plan R.
Quote:
As for taking prisoners... yes, we only seen Kyubey's manipulative side, because that's all he ever did! My point is: if there was a different side to his character, if he had no problem taking prisoners and experimenting on them, then he wouldn't bother with the contracts in the first place!
It's established the contract system was central to harvesting the energy from the girls; the greater the happiness, the greater the despair and the greater the energy released when a magical girl hatches. Randomly torturing people doesn't fit into it at all.
Quote:
That's so obvious, that is painful... Homura was killing him over and over again in TV series, preventing him from making a contract with Madoka, and yet he never imprisoned Homura... Why?
Most of the run she was an anomaly, so just attacking her wouldn't be the wisest decision even if he could. After that, her inevitable failure against Walpurgisnacht would make for a great reason for Madoka to make a contract.
Quote:
Kyubey don't do such things - he is passive and manipulative, he is not an abductor or experimentator. I don't know who this guy in "Rebellion" was, but it wasn't Kyubey...
Rebellion had Kyubey don his labcoat; he wanted to capture the Law of the Cycle so that he could poke it with a stick. The very creation of the magical girl system required the same mindset, so Rebellion just gives us a show of what else the Kyubey collective is capable of.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Sayaka came down the rainbow bridge. So she had some form or other.

I prefer to think of Sayaka as an angel of Madoka's. As that angel, Sayaka entered Homura's egg, and was captured later by Homura as part of her renovation of the universe.
Tachikoma1701

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
Polycell

Yes, let's waste more time together, even though it's certain that we won't agree with each other... Laughing

Quote:
Since you're not even bothering to address my arguments on the Sayaka situation, I'll just leave that alone.

What arguments? Rolling Eyes Saying that Sayaka have her memories, doesn't change the fact that her entire story from TV series is irrelevant, because it's completely inconsequential - both narratively and thematically.

Quote:
Much the same as Homura in the series, Madoka's wish put her outside of the system for Rebellion. Whereas he spent most of the series trying to figure out Homura, he had Madoka spelled out for him. Therefore, he had not need to pussyfoot around and could proceed directly to plan R

It dosen't metter if he had Madoka spelled out for him or not! Fact remains that, he never resorted to abducting and/or experimenting on people. If he had no problems with doing those things, then he woudn't waste time on forming contracts - he would just enslave human race and then harvest emotional energy. And if he didn't liked Madoka's wish, if he was actively working to undo that wish, then he shoudn't grant it in the first place! Sorry, but Kyubey in " Rebellion" is both illogical and written out of character.

Quote:

It's established the contract system was central to harvesting the energy from the girls; the greater the happiness, the greater the despair and the greater the energy released when a magical girl hatches. Randomly torturing people doesn't fit into it at all.

Funny thing; contract system have nothing to do with happiness or despair. He could just grant their wishes without ever asking for permission, and then wait until girls fall into despair. But he didn't. At one point he even said that he treats people better than we treat our live stock, because he was always asking for permission. Not, in "Rebellion"... In TV series, Kyubey was at beast like drug dealer, now he is like top hat wearing, mustache twirling villain, who tie down damsel to train tracks in hope that he will lure the hero into a trap... Sorry, there is nothing interesting or thought provoking about this scenario.

Quote:
Most of the run she was an anomaly, so just attacking her wouldn't be the wisest decision even if he could. After that, her inevitable failure against Walpurgisnacht would make for a great reason for Madoka to make a contract.

Whether or not Homura was an anomaly was irrelevant - she still couldn't kill him, even though she tried to do so many times over, so trying to capture her wouldn't be dangerous in any shape or form. Also Homura's failure was non factor in Madoka forming a contract. With or without Homura, Walpurgis would still destroy the city, and Madoka would still make a contract; either to stop Mitakihara's destruction or to repair the damage. Win-win scenario. So as you see, your arguments are invalid. Laughing

Quote:
Rebellion had Kyubey don his labcoat; he wanted to capture the Law of the Cycle so that he could poke it with a stick. The very creation of the magical girl system required the same mindset, so Rebellion just gives us a show of what else the Kyubey collective is capable of.

nope, it showed us Kyubey who have nothing to do with TV series Kyubey - especially, completely different character. But fanboys/fangirls just don't care, and they will try to rationalize it anyway they can... Rolling Eyes
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Tachikoma1701 wrote:
What arguments? Rolling Eyes Saying that Sayaka have her memories, doesn't change the fact that her entire story from TV series is irrelevant, because it's completely inconsequential - both narratively and thematically.
Her wish was driven by her desire for Kyousuke; even in Homura's rebuilt world she didn't get the guy.

Or perhaps it's better thought of as the plot's having moved on from Sayaka's character arc in favor of Homura's - as evil as her actions were, it's pretty clear that she still cares about her friends. Keeping Sayaka around gets her another another chance to be happy; notice that Homura conveniently still has Kyouko living at Sayaka's place at the end.
Quote:
And if he didn't liked Madoka's wish, if he was actively working to undo that wish, then he shoudn't grant it in the first place!
He pretty clearly didn't want to when it was happening, so it would seem he can't just pick and choose which wishes to grant. You're also assuming that the activities of Kyubey prerewrite control the activities of Kyubey postrewrite, which they don't.
Quote:
Funny thing; contract system have nothing to do with happiness or despair.
Did you miss the part where a magical girl giving into despair and becoming a witch is when she gives the Incubators the entropy-defying energy they're after?
Quote:
He could just grant their wishes without ever asking for permission, and then wait until girls fall into despair. But he didn't. At one point he even said that he treats people better than we treat our live stock, because he was always asking for permission.
It's never stated anywhere that Kyubey can force someone to become a magical girl if they don't want to. Humanity's still just livestock to the Incubators - witness how readily they abandon earth when Kriemhild Gretchen arrives.
Quote:
Not, in "Rebellion"... In TV series, Kyubey was at beast like drug dealer, now he is like top hat wearing, mustache twirling villain, who tie down damsel to train tracks in hope that he will lure the hero into a trap...
Yes, as I mentioned in my post, he's acting in an entirely different capacity. He was after contracts in the series and attempting to study the Law of the Cycle in the movie; of course he's not going to behave the same.
Quote:
Whether or not Homura was an anomaly was irrelevant - she still couldn't kill him, even though she tried to do so many times over, so trying to capture her wouldn't be dangerous in any shape or form.
To Kyubey's knowledge, the only way to become a magical girl would be to make a contract with him; not only did he not know her wish(and thus her powers), but he also didn't know who was behind her creation. Since he'd yet to witness her power in action, he couldn't take any direct action without risking it being something that could cause an issue for him one way or another or even rousing the anger of the unknown party that granted her wish.
Quote:
Also Homura's failure was non factor in Madoka forming a contract. With or without Homura, Walpurgis would still destroy the city, and Madoka would still make a contract; either to stop Mitakihara's destruction or to repair the damage.
That's a baseless assertion; the series never had Madoka survive Walpurgisnacht, so we don't know if she'd do something that could've been done by hand, anyway.
Quote:
nope, it showed us Kyubey who have nothing to do with TV series Kyubey - especially, completely different character. But fanboys/fangirls just don't care, and they will try to rationalize it anyway they can... Rolling Eyes
Here's a thought exercise: how do you study physical laws without constraining them into observable spaces? How do you manipulate them with a few carefully chosen words and omitted facts?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 33 of 33