• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
We Need Your Questions for A Lull in the Sea!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I've been keeping this on my "pending" list of anime to watch (meaning it's there but I probably won't watch it unless prompted), and my one question would be: what is it about and should I watch it? I've heard some very good reviews about this and many youtubers consider it to be a very good romance story, but aside from the synopsis (which is as a vague as crap) I have nothing to go on. The reason for my hesitation is because I saw a short clip of the series that really made me rethink watching it. I mean, it's 26 episodes, right? I want to invest my time into things I enjoy. The first thing I noticed was that the art style is similar to that of Glasslip, and we all know how that ended up (personally I enjoyed it, but not everyone else did). Anyway, I'm led to believe this is another love triangle, or possibly polygon. Spoilers here just in case, nothing big. spoiler[Im assuming the main duo are the two main characters from the seaworld, and the third is a human fisher boy. ] tbh, I don't really enjoy these kind of set ups in romance anime. It always ends up with me just hating one character. One other factor is that the main heroine seems like a general romance stereotype. Not very bright, easily scared, kind, cares for others, etc.
scineram

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Here are some of those metric ton of roles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCXfVbRze9I Laughing
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
I want to invest my time into things I enjoy. The first thing I noticed was that the art style is similar to that of Glasslip, and we all know how that ended up (personally I enjoyed it, but not everyone else did). Anyway, I'm led to believe this is another love triangle, or possibly polygon. Spoilers here just in case, nothing big. spoiler[Im assuming the main duo are the two main characters from the seaworld, and the third is a human fisher boy. ] tbh, I don't really enjoy these kind of set ups in romance anime. It always ends up with me just hating one character. One other factor is that the main heroine seems like a general romance stereotype. Not very bright, easily scared, kind, cares for others, etc.

Manaka grows through the story. You see that she can be courageous and self-sacrificing, and that she has a strong will.

spoiler[Yes, Hikari and Manaka are the main characters for the first half, but after the time skip starting with Episode 14, Miuna becomes a main character in her own right. Tsumugu(whose grandfather is from the undersea village) falls somewhere between main and supporting as does Chisaki. There is a love triangle, but it's not the one you think it is.]

This is much better than Glasslip I might add.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
I've been keeping this on my "pending" list of anime to watch (meaning it's there but I probably won't watch it unless prompted), and my one question would be: what is it about and should I watch it? I've heard some very good reviews about this and many youtubers consider it to be a very good romance story, but aside from the synopsis (which is as a vague as crap) I have nothing to go on.

Here's a shot at a spoiler-free summary. The premise is that there's an underwater town with people from the sea who are human but who can breathe and live underwater. Their numbers are dwindling for various reasons (including emigrating to the land, and intermarrying with land-dwellers), so when their high school closes, the kids are sent to the school in the nearby land town. Many interactions ensue between sea and land people, who don't always get along well, kids or adults. The plot starts moving when the priest of the underwater village prophesies an approaching calamity, which drives the two towns further apart, something we see on a very personal level through the kids at the school.

That's about as good as I can do to avoid spoilers. The other thing that's worth divulging is that there is a massive change to the status quo at the end of episode 13. Things are very slow up to this point (we're talking "first half of Steins;Gate" slow… hi, Zac!), and with this change, you can appreciate all the setup and world-building this was doing (even if it is kind of a chore to get through). The massive change that begins with episode 14 was apparently such a game-changer, and won over so many fans in Japan, that someanithing.com considers it the only example in the Blu-Ray era of a poor-selling show to rally significant sales over time.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
In response to _Cyphon_,

First, a small disclaimer: I ain't sure about the reviews you might have come across, so pardon me my if I am repeating myself.

*deep breath*... oOoOof... Okay, here I come. What makes this anime stand out (among many, many other things) is its unpredictability. I found myself thinking "Oh, I've seen this scene before. X and Y will happen next" a gazillion times ... just to find myself in the wrong. In my honest opinion, the plot is thick and faaar from cheesy (which might be your impression after watching a few trailers), in part because of the status-quo shift that invalidname already mentioned. On top of a "stable" plot, you have the stunning backgrounds and color design... breathtaking. However, all the character designs are more-ish looking, which might be a bit offputting if you're not into them. Also, every now and then the writer throws an ass-pull, but that's a small part of what makes the story very unpredictable (read, engaging).

Dang... I'll stop here before I write an essay. Just let me tell you that I really really recommend this animation if you enjoy romantic stories. If you let the characters grow within you, you are in for an exciting ride. Even though the plot revolves around the mishaps between two human factions, most of the time is well spent properly developing ALL the characters's feelings. And by all characters I mean all characters; with a minor spoiler, spoiler[I can tell you that even secondary character's wife are introduced near the end! Smile] I am sure pragmatic people like Zac will find nothing new here and glaze over 60-70% of the episodes a la Steins;Gate. But as a romance sucker (i.e. me) this anime tugged my strings reeeally hard.

101% recommended
And... excuse me for showing my fanboy side a bit too much, haha. I really enjoyed this show Embarassed
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
I did enjoy this show, I wished some parts took a different direction. I can't say I would recommend it for everyone it came out as more of an okay show. It could've been WAY shorter.
primum_mobile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
Shame they couldn't get an interview with the one person who is most likely responsible for almost everything about the show's story; Mari Okada.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
For a second, I thought this was an announcement that the three of them would be at a U.S. anime convention in the near future...alas...

Well, my senses were right to think this. Late addition to Anime Expo (see guest signing sessions)...still no HanaKana though
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2