• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Genshiken: Second Season GN 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
glad to see someone else getting uncomfortqble with the madarame harem aspect.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
glad to see someone else getting uncomfortqble with the madarame harem aspect.

I still love and support the series, but I wonder if Kio knows how he wants to tie things up with the harem storyline.
navycherub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I am not a huge fan of the "Madarame harem" thing, but at the same time I have some faith that there is a long-term plan based on the writer's previous successes.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Don't mind the harem aspect as much as i thought i would, most likely because it comes around in a much more natural way than in other harem stories. (Although i can't at all remember the "flag" Madarame got with Sasahara's sister)

Tanaka indirectly proposing to Ohno was sweet.

Still thoroughly enjoying this Second Season.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The "harem" thing's been there since the original series- the only new addition is Hato which is fairly ironic seeing how all the new characters except him were girls.

The only reason Keiko's an honorary member of the club, and why she keeps coming back, is Madarame. Why is she interested in him? Why was Madarame interested in Saki?

The only thing I understand in all of this is Madarame being fascinated by Sue's eyes; The rest of it seems to be writer's rule.
Still, my favorite part of the Second Season was when Sue finally stepped out of her façade of broken English and anime quotes to directly talk to Madarame- and as per usual with Second Season- nothing came of it, like Madarame not thinking about Sue moving to Japan to go to that school, that club, his apartment. Status Quo had nothing to do with the first series as Ogiue's character would never have worked, I wonder what happened.

Less risk taking, stealing more than the leads from shoujo?

Anyway, what I'm saying is that this part of the series isn't a harem but a love triangle with a block of cheese as its center. It's just not very good and it's drawn out because everyone's socially weird.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Lusbox wrote:
Don't mind the harem aspect as much as i thought i would, most likely because it comes around in a much more natural way than in other harem stories. (Although i can't at all remember the "flag" Madarame got with Sasahara's sister)

ah, well yeah,let's make that clear, as badly written the genshiken harem arc is compared to the rest of genshiken is still way better than your average harem; for starters, most of the harem's members don't really interact wiht that many guys besides guys who are worse prospects than rame, so to speak.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
Lusbox wrote:
Tanaka indirectly proposing to Ohno was sweet.

I love the follow-up 4-koma in particular: Ohno has a big smile on her shiny face in front of Yoshitake, Yajima, and Hato next day. In anime/manga/games subculture, a girl with a big smile on her shiny face hints that spoiler[she had a great sex with her lover last night.] I don't have the US English edition so I wonder if there's an editor's note about this indirect presentation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote
Im really enjoying Genshiken 2, but then again i seem have a low bar for manga as i dont make em run the same obstacle course a lot of the rest of the fans do. I like there was a good bit of progress in this volume in terms of getting the whole harem thing moving along (more so in the next).

like you guys say its not as good as the first series but its still enjoyable and i did miss the characters when the last series ended so its nice to have em back for the most part.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
spoiler[she had a great sex with her lover last night.] I don't have the US English edition so I wonder if there's an editor's note about this indirect presentation.

Went back to have a look and no there isn't, and made me realise that one went right over my head Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1