• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ultimate Otaku Teacher (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote

Ultimate Otaku Teacher (TV)

Genres: Comedy, Romance, School, Shounen, Harem
Themes: otaku, school

Plot Summary: The Former supergenius whose thesis was published in Nature, Junichirou Kagami is currently a NEET. He is obsessed with anything related to Anime, Manga, Video Games. He is currently Obsessed with updating his Otaku website and making sure it is top in the ranking but his sister who is sick and tired of his brother sitting at home. Suzuna Kagami makes him get a job as a part time teacher in his alma matter. he refused because he claims that he has a disease in which a person can only do what he wants to do although he didn't really have a choice unless he wants to get the shit beaten out of him he decides to become a teacher at the middle school. but the students are in for a treat because junichirou Kagami is not your Average Teacher. he is most definitely no doubt THE ULTIMATE TEACHER.
----------------------------------

Based off of the manga of the same name, this can be humorous with its themes. The main character is pretty badass and in general, the class itself offers a diverse range of personalities. Premise reminds me a little of Assassination Classroom in regards to the unorthodox teacher. That show turned out to be one of my favorites this Winter.

Hope this one can pull off something interesting. There's also a fresh new VA that was announced a week ago so kinda curious to see her debut role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Funny episode although it felt kinda rushed. spoiler[But overall, I thought it was amusing at how Kagami punished those trio of girls. And not only that, he did it very cleverly with his computer skills]

Not bad so far although I'm not impressed by the artwork. Soundtrack like the OP/ED song is decent though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

My cousin has actually been recommending this manga series to me for a while, so I am happy to see it in anime form.

I too felt that it felt a little rushed. A plus for the main character, a teacher, being voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya (Itoshiki Nozomu). He got spoiler[payback in teaching the girls the error of their ways], but through a lot of it I was actually worried that spoiler[he had actually done such a horrid thing as releasing personal information as I have heard bad things before]. I might need to see more.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know anything going into the first episode. While it normally isn't my type of show, I thought it was entertaining. I'll see how the next few episodes go before making a decision on if I like it or not.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Funny episode overall. I think spoiler[I like Kagami's speeches as it contains his ideals filled with energy. And as for this episode, it wouldn't make much sense if he was permanently fired. Glad to see him stick around for more.]

spoiler[Koyomi]'s introduction is kinda interesting. We'll see her role in this season soon.
Drizzy_Dan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually started watching because Hiroshi Kamiya was the voice of Kagami. The first episode was funny but I think I was expecting too much after hearing about where the manga goes. Again though it's only 2 episodes in as of this point so there's plenty of room for it to get better. Mad that Minako isn't a main though... Also I know it's following the manga of course so Kagami is already drawn but I really dislike his character design. He looks like Karin from Naruto. I don't think the voice and character's image go all that well although Kamiya can make anything work.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
That cat-and-mouse game felt silly tbh...

And at any rate, I'm not sure how I feel about spoiler[Makina or Koyomi yet. I mean, both of them have different personalities. Anyways, it looks like Kagami got himself involved in some school business again with another girl revealed this episode. Might be fun..maybe?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

This has been kind of annoying me, but I really am not a fan of the sister's voice, I don't think it quite matches how she looks. I can tell what they were going for in making her feel brash, and I might liked it as a different character or show, but whenever I hear and see it I just get a disconnect. I can see that it is Rena Matsui's first role, apparently an idol. I think that my biggest problem is that it feels like it is too different from the main character that it feels like they have different accents or something.

It becomes especially noticeable when you compare it to a veteran VA like the one for "Options" who has the ojou-sama treating people like toys and a game down really well.
Drizzy_Dan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
At first I didn't mind the voice but it became a very apparent concern of mine in the second and now third episode. It's not that this VA doesn't have potential, I think it's that her voice doesn't match the style of the character.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
So is my monitor off, or is their saying Kagami has brown hair a language artifact like blue/green?

Not a good sign when this was my biggest take-away from the series so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So is my monitor off, or is their saying Kagami has brown hair a language artifact like blue/green?

I am really trying to make sense of the sentence, I know that I have written things like that when tired.

On hair I can think back to FMP which has written down that the female lead had black hair despite it looking blue.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
I don't understand what you don't understand since it seems from your next sentence that you understood it. Smile

It just struck me odd that they said his sweatshirt was pink and it's almost the same color as his hair, which they said was brown. I wondered if my monitor colors were that far off, or if pink is somehow a nonsensical way to describe hair in Japanese, in a similar way that early on there was no distinction between blue and green in the language until "midori" came along later, and "ao" is still often used for green.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Heh, I think spoiler[Kiriko is definitely lucky to have someone like Kagami that helps her out. The latest episode was okay I guess; had some classic maid gimmicks like with the heart poses and "art" on the food.]

Not sure how I like spoiler[Makina though. I think she can be fun to watch but I'm not sure I can get used to her personality much...]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ok, this is boring the crap out of me, so I'm putting it on hold for the time being. it's ugly as sin too. might consider continuing if funi decides to broadcast dub it
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:13 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
ok, this is boring the crap out of me, so I'm putting it on hold for the time being. it's ugly as sin too. might consider continuing if funi decides to broadcast dub it

I have to agree so far, it is boring. All of his lessons just come across as hollow, fantastical, self serving lessons of a target demographic. The worst thing is that this show is being released along with Assassination Classroom which actually manages to be awesome despite the super unrealistic teacher. Assassination Classroom pretty feels like it is making fun of it by how fantastical Koro-sensei is, and the crazy plot of assassination, but practically every episode feels like it truly respects the students with actual insight, and a lesson to actually take away.

Again, it just feels so hollow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4