• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Knights of Sidonia (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Poor Izana, she can't catch a break.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
I saved the last two episodes for Netflix's premiere, and I just marathoned the series dubbed. I have a lot in my head about the dub, the show as a whole and the final two eps.

The English Dub: the dub was rushed, and you can tell. There seem to be some technical issues, like characters speaking a bit too quickly in response to a question. Many of the performances are stiff as well, which just makes Johnny Yong Bosch stand out as a great actor. He really does a good job here, and I can't say I ever appreciated him before. Other stand outs include Wendee Lee as Captain Kobayashi and Todd Haberkorn (credited as Todd Stone) as Norio Kunato. He hits the right notes as a haughty jerk.

Izana, unfortunately, sounds very feminine in the dub which did nothing to take away from the idea that she's basically a girl all the way through. I checked the Spanish version for contrast (and because I could, just the option to watch the show in Spanish with English subs is awesome, imho) and Izana sounds like a girly girl there, too.

Overall, it's a decent dub. They made some good creative decisions (calling the Gauna's outer layer "Ena" instead of "placenta" made it less squicky), and some questionable ones (they're *Higgs" canons, not "Haigis" canons). The dub cleared up some details I was confused about, and was very much worth watching.

The Final Eps: spoiler[I was surprised at how much all the characters contributed to the final battle, and they didn't just rely on Nagate to do the heavy lifting (again). 2 characters were prepared to make a suicidal sacrifice, but neither one had to. Can't decide if that's more heartwarming or cheap. Both, I guess. Did we know any of the red shirts in squad 2 (and part of squad 1)? People were dropping like flies! I didn't think Izana would make it for a moment there! And, yes, they did a great job of keeping the command center relevant to the battle.]

spoiler[Kunato is still a jerk in the face of Nagate's naïve almost forgiveness. I know he cried at the end, but he doesn't feel guilty enough, imo. I'm curious where his character arc is going next season.]

spoiler[Of course, there's a cliffhanger--Ena Shizuka is gone! Is she going to destroy all the kabizashi? Attack that (dead) human/gauna hybrid thing their deriving the new kabi from? Tune in next season!]

The Whole Show: My rewatch cleared up a lot of questions I had, but still left a few lingering, most of them about dumb details, like spoiler[if Nagate's clone body was developed after they made all humans able to photo synthesize, why can't he do it? Was he taken out too early? Also, he's 13 years old by western calculation, 14 at most! Tall for a kid his age! Who are those immortal people Kobayashi answers to, and why don't they do a damn thing? Are they all 600 years old? Older? Oh, and where the hell is everyone's parents? We see Yamano's parents in her flashback, but no one else has any! Especially Norio Kunato, he could use a couple a disciplinarians!]

I'm looking forward to season 2, and I want to get my hands on the latter manga volumes. I want to bring up some manga spoilers, but I'm not sure how much anyone here has read, so I guess some discussions will wait for next season.
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Best show of the season for me. Good characters, good plot, good back story, good action, good drama. Can't really ask for more. And I love how it's a fairly bleak world, I love bleak shows and would like to see more.

Can't wait for the second season.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
Preview for the second season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DiZJkYg4n1E

Announced about two weeks ago, Angela is doing the theme song. I always thought this show had great soundtrack - both OST and theme songs Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

That was awesome although I personally prefer Season 1's OP/ED theme songs.

spoiler[And did Migi and his crew invade this show?! Just kidding. The action was good and the buildup towards the end of Tsugumi greeting the others in space was thrilling. I also like how they did some of comedy and reintroduction of the characters.]

spoiler[I wonder how Nagate will respond to Tsugumi though....but so far, this season has all my attention.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Oh my god, this was amazing. Firstly, this show just became incredibly creepy. Kunato gets spoiler[his sister killed and unleashes something, and then they seem too okay, the whole parasite thing] is just super creepy. This could have been a horror movie in itself as spoiler[Sidonia is slowly being body snatched by Ochiai].

The small bit we saw of the battle may have been even cooler than last season, I am such a fan of how this show does HUD in mecha. And what a surprise that spoiler[a Gauna showed up to actually help them, it sounds cute too].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Yep, things are going great, I feel like Tsumugi is a good addition. Although I do feel a bit silly for not recognising the voice and that spoiler[who was inside her]. I quite enjoyed how she treads the line spoiler[between monster and human], we already had to accept a few not quite humans in the series, although who would have guessed we get a spoiler[tentacle rape scene].

I am not entirely sure what is going on, if we are meant to dislike that spoiler[the captain had the council killed], but at this point I spoiler[trust her to do what is needed and they were dangerous].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 2:

Imo, that was the funniest episode from this franchise I've seen in awhile. Tsugumi is still quite unpredictable though but the overall portraying of the thrillerish feeling balanced with the comedy was done quite well imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

We really have not had much of a discussion on this season have we? Tsugumi spoiler[saved Sidonia, although her and Izana got hurt]. There really was not any action this episode, but you really could feel that the energy was put into other things, there was some pretty interesting detail added and stuff. There seemed to be great work into conveying certain standard anime emotions.

And I really like how they make human things that are not quite. That we see spoiler[Izana ended up getting robotic limbs], but rather than turn it into a hoo-ha over spoiler[having non human limbs, its almost business as usual]. And Tsugumi, she continues to be kind of awesome, we are starting to see through her spoiler[love of books that she regrets not being like everyone else a little]. Some great touches like the spoiler[get well card to her from a child], and the part where we mostly got audio of spoiler[her being happy to see the cat].
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 ep 5, this is a complete breather episode from the back to back action of the previous 2.
If there were any future machinations in the work I probably missed them on a first viewing, but just as well the point of the episode is to brush over the cast again in a more lighter hearted tone,spoiler[ especially when considering there was a bloody coup de ta of the "secret council" within the first few episodes]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to catching up with this. Lots of hidden agendas working behind the scenes. I wonder what sorts of modifications Daddy did when rebuilding Tsugumi this time. He seemed displeased with her disobedience even though if she had obeyed, he'd have no place to go back to.

I see they still enjoy bashing Tanikaze's face in at the drop of a hat.

I think this is the 7th series I'm currently watching with Takahiro Sakurai in it. Not that I'm complaining...
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

Lol, funny episode from the rice ball to Izana/Nagate's chemistry. I have to say that his home actually looks refreshing though...

Tsugumi also had her moment with Nagate at night and well, their relationship got a bit closer. That weapon they showed at the end seems a bit risky though imo and I wonder where else they plan to use it...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

A small thing, but has Izana spoiler[grown breasts]? Might seem a bit obvious, but it was stated at the beginning of the series that spoiler[Izana was a third gender and would transition to one when she found a partner]. Evidence seems to point that spoiler[Izana has actually transitioned], and I wonder if Nagate has noticed.

And great house. That weapon though, spoiler[it screams bad news, and their leader is also starting to look it].
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It would be funny if the gender transition of Izana were rendered as in the manga. Right now the anime has deviated from the manga, I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. I would have loved to see the battles between the spoiler[different fleets] and spoiler[kunata] on the one hand and the gauna on the other. I guess you really can't do more than that in a measly 12 episodes.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Ep6

I think I'm enjoying this 2nd season more than the first. The creation of Tsugumi was a surprise for me and they've made her quite expressive too. I worry about the commander spoiler[has she just become more ruthless or has she fallen under the influence of the body snatching worms?]

Can they wrap it up satisfactorily in 6 more episodes? I actually wouldn't mind a third season as I find the show to just be a lot of fun and I'm never bored.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8