• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what you mean since I was writing about couple of specific FSN features: skull/Pac-Man face profile view and eyes being set too far apart. Prior cases of extreme character design styling were given to provide contrast and context to how this FSN anime solves this.

I do think that visual styles get obsolete, and it is a good thing if the ridiculous ones go away. Though I would not go with blanked blessing for this obsoleting process if somehow different ridiculous visual style will come to fashion instead of more sane style that usually used now.

By the way, other than visual style issue, this Fate franchise is overall of very high quality. I can not complain "nonsense this" and "absurd that" much in this case.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
That's an implication that without explanation is a bit lost on those of us who don't inherently see it that way.

I personally find this show's character designs to be pretty middle of the road and generic for anime in this era. Not that that's a bad thing in any way.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Uh, MaxSouth, that post just came out of nowhere, so that's what we mean. It's like you're fishing around for something to complain about, regardless of whether or not it has any relation to what has already been brought up on this thread.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
According to lore she can't teleport without first creating her territory and adjusting the laws within it. Pure teleportation is true magic and even she can't do that. I think it's more probable that she managed to freeze Lancer like Archer or fooled him with a duplicate for long enough to make her escape.

I didn't like this episode all that much. It was all setup and Caster's backstory was rather bland. Caster's master was a non-character, just an average magus, Sella and Leysritt left more impression in two minutes than that guy. I don't think you can garner much sympathy for Caster, because she's looking down on him as well and only opposed his methods, because they were ineffective. What I liked was Kirei saying that her past can be interpreted in more than one way. I have a feeling that the show might also not settle with a definite interpretation of her myth. We get her reminiscing about her past a bit, but she's not the most reliable narrator of course.

The bit of lore relating to magic in this case isn't explicitly fleshed out in the source material, only in the guidebooks which explain the franchise. What's the difference between teleporting within a certain defined area and making magic crystals out of sheer will?

You already know this, but all we got of Caster's master in the source material was spoiler[of a male magus who was murdered by Caster after he used up all of his command seals. ] Perhaps it's a matter of personal interpretation, but I thought the background kept within the bounds set by the original game and the description sounds like something that was given with some collaboration from the creator anyway.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Uh, MaxSouth, that post just came out of nowhere, so that's what we mean. It's like you're fishing around for something to complain about, regardless of whether or not it has any relation to what has already been brought up on this thread.

Uh, I know, it is very weird to discuss FSN, including its visual style, in FSN titled thread. Rolling Eyes And, of course, it is weird that anyone would discuss something else other than what was discussed in the very first post of this thread, because no one should ever bring any other thought regarding the topic further in the thread. Rolling Eyes

Besides, there nothing to "fish" about FSN's visual style, it is immediately obvious, it is on the surface. What happened after, of course, is when people wanted to try find something to complain about others, instead of only addressing discussed issues. So we have this stupid discussion, in lieu of focusing on arguments in favour or against actual points about FSN made in this thread.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The bit of lore relating to magic in this case isn't explicitly fleshed out in the source material, only in the guidebooks which explain the franchise. What's the difference between teleporting within a certain defined area and making magic crystals out of sheer will?

The difference is that growing crystals is perfectly doable, but for ftl travel Nasu has to go through loops to keep some semblance of consistency with his postulated distinction between mahou and majutsu, which he himself makes a big deal out of. As far as we know Caster hadn't yet made the temple her territory, which is the stated reason why she can teleport around Fuyuki. So instead of making extra assumptions, I'll try to make do with what we know for sure.

Come to think of it, there's even a much easier explanation for Caster escaping Lancer, which will come up later: spoiler[Kotomine ordering Lancer no to kill anyone in their first fight.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

The difference is that growing crystals is perfectly doable, but for ftl travel Nasu has to go through loops to keep some semblance of consistency with his postulated distinction between mahou and majutsu, which he himself makes a big deal out of. As far as we know Caster hadn't yet made the temple her territory, which is the stated reason why she can teleport around Fuyuki. So instead of making extra assumptions, I'll try to make do with what we know for sure.

Come to think of it, there's even a much easier explanation for Caster escaping Lancer, which will come up later: spoiler[Kotomine ordering Lancer no to kill anyone in their first fight.]

Is that can or cannot? One can always refer to Aoko Aozaki and the VN featuring her exploits for the differences between magic and sorcery, but casual viewers are going to be lost without some explanation. A few of the class innate abilities (like Saber's magic resistance) have been touched upon, but as far as I can tell Caster's class abilities (only the part about a stronghold is directly mentioned) have seen little to no coverage (even for viewers who are watching this because of Fate/Zero).

Viewers are not told about the exact timeframe of events through which Kotomine meets with Caster's first master, but if the latter is giving sealed orders to Kotomine on behalf of the Clock Tower it implies spoiler[Bazett is still active but decided not to execute the command to kill Caster. During the common route which sees Lancer take on Saber in Shirou's house Bazett is still Lancer's Master and gave orders to scout but not kill. ]
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Viewers are not told about the exact timeframe of events through which Kotomine meets with Caster's first master, but if the latter is giving sealed orders to Kotomine on behalf of the Clock Tower it implies spoiler[Bazett is still active but decided not to execute the command to kill Caster. During the common route which sees Lancer take on Saber in Shirou's house Bazett is still Lancer's Master and gave orders to scout but not kill. ]

Not really, it implies that spoiler[Caster's master thinks Bazett is still active. Kotomine's smirk can be interpreted as either "haha, I'm Lancer's master" or "haha, now I know her address". But the command for Lancer to scout, but not kill was given by Kotomine, not Bazett.] It's of course possible that the anime changes some things up, but for the things unexplained I will first consider what Nasu has written in the source and complementary materials. That refers to class abilities as well.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
You're right about Lancer's orders, needed a quick check to verify the details. Since spoiler[Kotomine's exact order to Lancer with the backing of the seals was to force him to do the rounds with all of the servants but not to kill, it makes sense that Caster survived if Lancer was simply doing the milk round. Both Bazett's incapacitation and Caster's meeting with Suzuki happen before Rin and Shirou join the competition, so I'm more inclined to believe Kotomine's smirk is to do with his status as Lancer's Master rather than knowing Bazett's address since both of them were old friends to begin with. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 3:

Damn, that was brutal. I mean, spoiler[Illya and Berserker gave it their all but just not match huh? The fight itself was well directed imo in terms of action. Nice job done there Ufotable.]

Only part I have some problems with is the spoiler[amount of flashback transitions although they are fairly important imo to flesh out Illya's past.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Next episode better have this scene or I'm gonna flip a table.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad that you guys are finally caught up. And now imagine leaving off on that last scene, knowing you had THREE WEEKS until the next new episode!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Watching these guys fight, then having seen what Caster can do, and before that what Archer can do, and before that the samurai swordsman and Lancer it just seems like even if Saber were still in the game she would totally outclassed.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
wow, that was some fight!

spoiler[I've always really liked those homunculi in this story (really liked Irisviel in fate zero), and wish they would get more focus and screentime. Illyasviel and Heracles fought very well, but hey, it is common to win or lose in battle.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought Illya was a powerful mage. Didn't she pretty much mop the floor with Rin during their first encounter (not to mention the barrier last episode)? Why did she just stand there and watch through the entire battle as if she were a helpless little girl? I feel like I must've forgotten something that would explain this, since I don't live and breathe the series and have zero interest in the source material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 38