• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
DP, the word you're looking for is "sensitive", not fragile (which means easily broken).

HaruhiToy wrote:
I think you have Hachiman pegged just right but it makes me wonder what he would have done had Ebina said something like "I always dreamed you would say something like that -- let's go out!"

Sooner or later Yui is going to confess or pressure him into doing it. It's a toss-up as to which happens. I just hope they don't take the Hanagai ending.

Hatchiman knew she wasn't going to say that or he wouldn't have taken the route he did.

And I don't think Hachiman is going to end up with Yui -- or I hope not, anyway -- as she doesn't really understand him very well at all. Yes, she's nice, and yes she likes him, but I think Yukino is a much better fit for him than Yui is... Yes, I'm a Hachiman-Yukino shipper.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Well it looks like we are going to have to get the cannons ready because I see a shipping battle.

Yui is exactly what Hachiman needs, someone who could help him get out of his shell, and I think that she can benefit from the extra introspection. What makes me worried about Yukino is that it kind of has the basis that they are both not very social and it might only enable certain problems they share.

The reason Hachiman has on two occasions asked Yukino to formally be his friend is because he kind of sees her as an outsider similar to himself, which I don't think is a good thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I agree that I think Hachiman's "I'll take all the spears of humiliation" approach to solving problems is coming to an end. Thank god. I was tired of it by the first season finale and wouldn't relish another huge dollop of that dynamic.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
That was a bit confusing to me, but my take, I think, was that spoiler[Yui was upset seeing him confess to someone else, even knowing he didn't mean it, and Yukino was mad that he didn't realize it would upset Yui.] Maybe. I dunno.

That's an interesting interpretation and one I find somewhat persuasive. However, I also think it is what others have said: the girls are just tired of seeing him take the pain (and I'm talking about his inner sensitivity, not the external reactions of other people) to help others.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That was a bit confusing to me, but my take, I think, was that spoiler[Yui was upset seeing him confess to someone else, even knowing he didn't mean it, and Yukino was mad that he didn't realize it would upset Yui.] Maybe. I dunno.

That's an interesting interpretation and one I find somewhat persuasive. However, I also think it is what others have said: the girls are just tired of seeing him take the pain (and I'm talking about his inner sensitivity, not the external reactions of other people) to help others.

I don't think there's even much doubt, that spoiler[she was upset about the confession. Yui herself says that for a moment she thought him to be serious. Besides I felt the way she said those "why don't you understand how others feel" lines carried both hurt and anger in pretty large doses. More than are warranted by that confession alone or 8man's Jesus shenanigans. I think that was also about his general attitude towards Yui in the last couple of episodes.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
If you are correct in your assumption that Yui felt Hachiman's confession to Ebina was sincere, then she really is more dumb than even I thought. But I don't think she's quite that dumb. Let's give her enough credit to assume she knew exactly what Hachiman was doing. However, even if she understands it wasn't a sincere confession, it would not have made her happy to see him say it to another girl.
Prince of Thieves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
His comments telling girls not to be so friendly to him from the fact it is very easy for him to misinterpret affection. It has caused him to take on the rough exterior that most see, and that comes down that he is actually deathly afraid of rejection.

I think you have Hachiman pegged just right but it makes me wonder what he would have done had Ebina said something like "I always dreamed you would say something like that -- let's go out!"

Sooner or later Yui is going to confess or pressure him into doing it. It's a toss-up as to which happens. I just hope they don't take the Hanagai ending.

I agree to your explanation of fragile. I too think he easily falls for positive Vibes from girls especially.

I really thought spoiler[ she was going to say yes to hachiman too.] I stood in my chair with my hands over my face at the pause. It would have upended everything. I really didn't realize his genius until that point either.[/spoiler]
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If you are correct in your assumption that Yui felt Hachiman's confession to Ebina was sincere, then she really is more dumb than even I thought. But I don't think she's quite that dumb. Let's give her enough credit to assume she knew exactly what Hachiman was doing. However, even if she understands it wasn't a sincere confession, it would not have made her happy to see him say it to another girl.

It's not about being dumb. It's about the one moment of initial surprise before your intellect kicks in to analyze the situation. She understands what he did no doubt, but understanding can't take away how she might've felt that one moment.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Interesting episode imo. spoiler[It looks like there's a blast from the past for Hachiman while Isshiki's request for the club involving election sets the story for this new arc.] I'm not sure I like her much though but we'll see.

Good stuff overall as I liked the dialogues as usual and the chemistry between the characters. Hachiman as usual displays his personality quite well too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
I don't know why he didn't just get up and walk out on her.

I think I don't remember what she has on Hayama to make him come running at her beck and call.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

That new girl spoiler[is terrible], as we can see through Hachiman, she clearly spoiler[wants to have people do hard things for her and is very manipulative about it]. She did everything short of telling spoiler[either him or Yukino to run too].

During the episode though, most of the plot was on Hachiman is spoiler[actually really down]. His sister could spoiler[tell he was down via a few tells, and at school he seemed most kind put off by having upset Yukino and Yui]. The tension was certainly strong with the girls when spoiler[they could see that he was about to be sacrificing once again]. But it is not just upsetting them either as he got spoiler[unneeded reminders of rejection from a run in with old classmates, and Yukino's sister was kind of toying with him].

I would not be surprised if spoiler[one of the characters feel pressured into running].

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I don't remember what she has on Hayama to make him come running at her beck and call.

I don't think they ever straight-up demonstrated a connection between the two, but it was implied in the summer camp arc in season 1 that Hayama and Yukino went to the same elementary school. Maybe it has something to do with that? (Perhaps their families are friends or have some connection?)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
I don't think they ever straight-up demonstrated a connection between the two, but it was implied in the summer camp arc in season 1 that Hayama and Yukino went to the same elementary school. Maybe it has something to do with that? (Perhaps their families are friends or have some connection?)

They did go to the same elementary school, but it is deeper than that: Hayama's father is a "legal adviser" for Yukino's family's company.

Also, at some point when they were little kids,spoiler[ Yukino was being bullied, and Hayama didn't do anything to stop it. Yukino firmly believes that the people at "the top" (financially, socially, etc.) have the responsibility to help the people at "the bottom"; it sort of ties in with her whole superiority complex thing from the first season, where she's helping people because she thinks she's better than them. Therefore, Yukino can't bring herself to forgive "Mr. Popular" for not helping her.]

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
^
If that last paragraph is from the novels, I would spoiler it real quick, indicating that it's from the novel, before Blood- punches you through the computer screen.

Liked the episode. There's obvious tension and buildup, looking forward to how this ends. In the previous episode it looked like Yui was the one who was hurt harder by 8man's actions, so it's a bit weird (but not out of character) to see her trying to keep the peace.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I spoiler tagged it just to be safe, but I was pretty sure that they mentioned it at some point in the first season, although it's been a while.

I also haven't read the novels yet, so if it isn't in the first season, then I'm not sure where I learned it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3.

Well that was painful. Not since Tomoko from Watamote have I seen a character more constricted in an emotional knot. But he has reason. The way his feelings spoiler[got trampled on by that girl from middle school was just brutal.] (I suspect he had the wrong e-mail address though.)

Correct me if this is wrong, but I think the earlier assessments in this thread about why Yukino was upset with Hachiman were a bit off base as revealed in Episode 3. It seems that she felt that Hachiman spoiler[avoided the problem rather than solved it] with the intercession of his bogus confession.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 19