• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Club Hosoda

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
I didn't really like that One Piece movie. The animation style just didn't work for me and the subplot with the Straw Hats getting in a fight felt forced. In the series, they fight constantly (especially Zoro and Sanji), so having them fighting be a major plot point didn't have any sense of urgency. The other Straw Hats also didn't have much of a part in the second half, which is really different from how the series handles it. In the series, the secondary characters always have something to do instead of just being an object for Luffy to rescue. It really didn't feel like One Piece. That's actually why I like Z so much: it's a good example of One Piece at or near it's best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SuperDuperDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Seriously why isn't that 6th film here?

Funimation is in charge in One Piece and has done each of the Hosoda films so far. More than likely going to do the next.

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I think new fans get into One Piece mostly by not worrying about the length, or seeing it as a barrier to overcome. For me, the length was a positive: it meant the show was always reliably there when I was looking for something funny and action-y to marathon, or if I just had 20 minutes to kill. It took me years to catch up to the current episodes, and now that I have, I kind of miss being behind. It's a very good show for marathons.

A friend who has seen almost all of it says he basically approaches it as several shows: each story arc is a "season," so he just worries about getting to the end of that, then takes a break and picks up the show a few weeks later.

One of the themes of the show is that the destination isn't as important as the journey, which I think is good advice for watching any long-running series. You'll get to the end when you get there.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm not terribly fond of Hosoda's work so that One Piece movie which gets into some fairly effective horror imagery might actually be my favorite of his. The black humor of the little cartoony flower on the baron's shoulder spoiler[cutely chewing as its true, gigantic form begins to digest the heroes] was surprisingly chilling.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I made it about 20 episodes into the TV series before I realized that there was more than 600 to go, and counting(!!) and quit in despair. I've posed this question before: how do new fans really get into One Piece?

12 years ago I watched 2 episodes of One Piece and then stopped. It seemed a little weird, and maybe not that compelling (although I liked the art style).

A few years later a friend encouraged me to keep going, and with some skepticism I decided to pick it up again. I surprisingly liked Usopp's introduction and story at episode 9, and Sanji's story from episode 19 on also felt like it was opening up the feeling of high seas adventure. But it was really Nami's story from about episode 30 onward that really sold me on One Piece (especially the finale). Once the Strawhats headed for the Grand Line, I found I was actually really excited about watching the series. Although it didn't seem like it at first, the show had slowly built up into an epic adventure.

And the surprising thing about One Piece is that it keeps getting better and better... and better... and better... and somehow doesn't stop. It's basically my favorite animated TV series ever, and I highly recommend it.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
@ Wyvern : I don't agree that the destination isn't important as the journey. This way to look at shonen shows is too archaic. Even serial tv has for the most part separated itself from long running shows that go nowhere. Because the journey is more important than the destination right ? Wink

I really don't have a problem with a long running show as long as it keeps the destination clear. One Piece doesn't. Hundreds and hundreds of episodes with no clear goal in sight.

The first Dragon Ball tv series was long and told a complete story.
Hokuto no Ken was 150 episodes and told a complete story.
You can create long running shows that don't take the audience for idiots. Unfortunately Detective Conan and One Piece don't fall in this category. A failure in my view.
Carlooo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

A friend who has seen almost all of it says he basically approaches it as several shows: each story arc is a "season," so he just worries about getting to the end of that, then takes a break and picks up the show a few weeks later.

Yeah, I do that for the manga as well. Though I got spoiled on the Dressrosa arc while it is/was still running Razz

Videogamep wrote:

I didn't really like that One Piece movie. The animation style just didn't work for me and the subplot with the Straw Hats getting in a fight felt forced. In the series, they fight constantly (especially Zoro and Sanji), so having them fighting be a major plot point didn't have any sense of urgency. The other Straw Hats also didn't have much of a part in the second half, which is really different from how the series handles it. In the series, the secondary characters always have something to do instead of just being an object for Luffy to rescue. It really didn't feel like One Piece. That's actually why I like Z so much: it's a good example of One Piece at or near it's best.

Really? Film Z was that good? I thought it had boring villains and a rote plot. What did you think was good about Film Z? This is honestly interesting to me, I'm not being sarcastic.

I definitely prefer Hosoda's film, which I thought really captured the humor of One Piece in its first half, while racking up the tension in its second half.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
It really didn't feel like One Piece.

Y'know, I love One Piece. Oda's work is amazing and I read new chapters each week when Viz put out their Shonen Jump. Baron Omatsuri quite honestly really doesn't feel like regular One Piece or anything Oda would write. But this is precisely why I love the film though, it's so incredibly different to everything else the franchise has to offer.

A number of the other One Piece films feel rather cookie cutter (Movies 1-3 and 5 didn't leave an impression on me, movie 7 was basically "Nami's and Robin's Boobs: The Movie", movies 8 and 9 are literally recaps of existing story arcs) and while Strong World and Z are great films written by Oda himself, the simple fact that Oda did them make them incredibly stereotypical One Piece.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

I really don't have a problem with a long running show as long as it keeps the destination clear. One Piece doesn't. Hundreds and hundreds of episodes with no clear goal in sight.

The destination has been clear since the crew first entered the Grand Line: sail to the end of the ocean to the last island, Raftel.
The method of traversing the Grand Line is by going from island to island and setting the log pose as a checkpoint. Not doing so will end up getting any seafarer lost or killed by sea monsters.

All of this was established at the very beginning of the Grand Line, but I guess you missed it or didn't make it that far. Laughing
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
One Piece doesn't. Hundreds and hundreds of episodes with no clear goal in sight.

No clear goal? From the very first episode Luffy made it clear that his goal is to find the One Piece and become the King of the Pirates. I mean, he says it all the time, and everything the Strawhats have been doing works towards that goal. Not too sure what you mean.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
What is stopping you from watching One Piece, Mike? You watched all of Hunter x Hunter, right? One Piece is much like that in that you really should watch and enjoy what is there because once you get to where we are currently, you will have wished there was more to watch.

One Piece's episode count isn't the same as say getting through 700 episodes of Metantei Conan. One Piece is an adventure best watched with a passionate fan to guide you through. Its a treat to watch through the series again because there are characters all throughout the series that we are just seeing now that were there 15 years ago.

Oda pulling a George Lucas it's fun to see.

As I've said to other reviewers you need to watch the series before you cast One Piece off as a generic shonen series. Hunter x Hunter wasn't like that and neither is One Piece. Back to episode count, there IS a fan way to watch it but ANN won't let us drop lists.

Get to the introduction of the Merry and then Arlong arc, it only ramps up and never stops until you get to where we are at. The beginning is hella fun If you couldn't get into it then it's not for you. Or, get a bottle of Captain Morgan's and force yourself into it. You are a seasoned fan, One Piece never stops being good.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Years ago I made the mistake of downloading a MB per minute, dreadfully fansubbed copy of the sixth One Piece movie. I absolutely hated it.

The Straw Hats looked like hastily scratched out caricatures, the animation resembled chunky milk (equal parts fluid and gelatinous solid), and the story was as depressing as it was frustrating. I could not understand how people could praise it as being the best One Piece movie.

Then I finally downloaded Kaizoku-Fansubs' version and, after making myself watch it, I was able to agree with the majority. It's amazing because the Baron is the only villain, canon or otherwise, to actually defeat the Straw Hats.* It was also the first time we saw a desperate, unhinged Luffy with a killer intent. And it still had a happy, Luffy goofily laughing finale. Good stuff.

*spoiler[Kuma didn't defeat them, he saved them.]
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the American dubs of Digimon's movies but did they really combine 3 separate movies into one? That sounds absolutely horrible and a complete mess. How did they do it? I know the dub itself was terrible and full of jokes but that sounds like they went the extra mile to annoy people.

As far as long shounen goes. I never understood the hate they get here at ANN from the staff. Do they feel intellectual superior and above watching 'generic shounen', whatever that term is supposed to mean? Or is it really just the episode length? Length has never bothered me about a series. I always wish a series got more episodes, never less. I'm also up to date on Detective Conan, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pocket Monsters and shounen are some of my favorite series each week to watch. I never saw how catching up to them is an intimidating task unless someone expects to do it in a single week.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I think new fans get into One Piece mostly by not worrying about the length, or seeing it as a barrier to overcome. For me, the length was a positive: it meant the show was always reliably there when I was looking for something funny and action-y to marathon, or if I just had 20 minutes to kill. It took me years to catch up to the current episodes, and now that I have, I kind of miss being behind. It's a very good show for marathons.

That's really my favorite approach to tell people who are actually interested (and not just being an asshole who wants to mock me for watching long running things) I'm not really sure where the need to have someone marathon the entire 600+ series in one go came from but it's always sounded pretty silly to me. Granted I do understand the notion of time being an issue as the anime starts to stretch chapters out to ridiculous extent once you get to the CP9 arc and rather than an episode you feel like you've only seen a 3rd of it. It's especially noticeable when you get in the grove of frequently watching 12 to 26 episode shows and your brain can no longer accept the slow approach.

For me I just look back on the first 130 episodes being my favorites since while it's still slow it didn't get as sluggish as the anime is now, and that's where I feel the anime version had it's most charm with me. That, and I feel if the show did for some reason end there, no one would really have that much of an issue with it, well besides the fact that there's no real ending, but aren't we as anime fans used to that by now?

ANYWAY, Hosoda. It's interesting to see that One Piece movie be a parallel to his work at Ghibli, makes it all the more funnier when he's constantly asked if he'd be the next Miyazaki when, and I'm only guessing here, he probably wants to be as far away from that as possible. Yes they both make anime movies that are far more accessible than the norm but Hosoda has always been different about it. While I love that 6th one piece movie I wouldn't call it my favorite OP movie since it's so 'not' one piece. I don't mind character studies like this if they're interesting about it (and not like those crappy HxH movies) and he movie is interesting for how different it is but it's not the first thing I'd show someone about One Piece. Maybe I shouldn't use such a standard for my own favorite rankings but even without that I kind of need something to take the one piece feel and actually execute it than kind of deconstruct and reconstruct it. Hopefully the guy will someday do a HxH movie and give that series the film it deserves...oh well...

I think like most people I enjoy Hosoda's main movies, but personally I've sort of looked back on wolf children a little less fondly than his two proceeding movies girl who leapt through time and Summer wars. It makes me sightly worried about this newer film coming up since it seems somewhat similar to wolf children in that way parent-child relationships gets a bit of furry sprinkled on it. Time will tell on that one but otherwise this was a good article Toole.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Carlooo wrote:

Really? Film Z was that good? I thought it had boring villains and a rote plot. What did you think was good about Film Z? This is honestly interesting to me, I'm not being sarcastic.

I definitely prefer Hosoda's film, which I thought really captured the humor of One Piece in its first half, while racking up the tension in its second half.

A lot of the best parts were about Z himself since it mostly expects you to already be familiar with the rest of the cast. I think it did a good job of giving Z understandable motives even though he was the villain. spoiler[His death and his crew's reaction to it was especially good]. It did slow down a bit during the middle, but the fight scenes near the end made up for it. It also had really good animation and I like that style way more than Hosoda's film. Also, seeing an attack called "Sexy Fire" is just hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3