• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Language Survey

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
There is an "other" for the primary language, but I do find it mildly offensive that American Sign Language, or ANY Sign Language, is not listed as an option in any of the questions. While not being something that has a written form, it is still a quite wide-spread language in this country, and many countries have their own form of Sign Language (side note: ASL is actually closer to French Sign Language than English Sign Language, ironically).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I hear ya, Dessa. One would think that, on a language survey, sign language would be included. Though there is a write-in box, it's insensitive to leave sign language out of the main list. It's not like sign languages are unrecognised or fringe languages. Heck, NZ Sign Language is one of the three official languages of New Zealand.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
There is an "other" for the primary language, but I do find it mildly offensive that American Sign Language, or ANY Sign Language, is not listed as an option in any of the questions. While not being something that has a written form, it is still a quite wide-spread language in this country, and many countries have their own form of Sign Language (side note: ASL is actually closer to French Sign Language than English Sign Language, ironically).

The list is the top 50 languages worldwide.

We didn't "decide" what languages to include.

Leaving ASL out was no more insensitive than leaving Igbo out... except more people speak Igbo as their primary language than ASL.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1