• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD BorN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Docoda wrote:
Review writer on EP3. I have to point out a mistake you did.
spoiler[It was not Akeno's father that teleported Loki and Fenrir away. It was Ajuka Beelzebub, one of the satans, that did it.]

If you review, make sure you got your facts correct. It's kinda getting irritating to see so many reviews with mistakes popping up.

Yes, because people who aren't reviewers never make mistakes like that. Rolling Eyes

This and a name spelling error mentioned have been corrected.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Wait what... I wouldn't be shocked to see other reviewers go there, but I didn't see that coming. I mean the tired part sure, fair enough. Sexist? Seriously? The series played the exact same freaking card with Issei's friends and they are mocked and have dramatic responses to not being able to get a girl friend.

Fair point, although I would also point out that Issei's friends are just ordinary Joes, while Rossweisse has a standing of prestige and dignity within her mythos (and is almost certainly immensely older), hence such malarkey is quite a bit more impactful with her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

This and a name spelling error mentioned have been corrected.

Could the review for 1-2 also be corrected, as I posted earlier in the thread:
Zuwaiss wrote:
Correcting the review, the boy they met wasn't Rias' younger brother, but Sirzech's son.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fair point, although I would also point out that Issei's friends are just ordinary Joes, while Rossweisse has a standing of prestige and dignity within her mythos (and is almost certainly immensely older), hence such malarkey is quite a bit more impactful with her.

Uh, I want to say she is 20. Maybe 21. So older yes, not immensely.

Her mythos may be prestigious and dignified, but I don't see how that is relevant as far as it being sexist or not. I could see why you might find it more impactful than Issei's friends because of that, but I think its actually worse for his friends. His friends exist pretty much solely to run that joke. Her not being able to find a boyfriend seems to be downplayed in favor of her other 'characteristic' that gets run into the ground a lot worse, and she also happens to do plot stuff.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
The people that call harems sexist do have a point but I wonder how they would feel when there are harems like Sekirei that are made by women.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The people that call harems sexist do have a point but I wonder how they would feel when there are harems like Sekirei that are made by women.

I don't know how they are that "sexist", I mean, most likely harem series are generally meant for men to enjoy, but women can enjoy them as well. And for women, there are reverse harems, but again, men can enjoy those as well.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

No one here called a harem sexist though so I'm not sure where that is coming from as it seems completely unrelated to either the episode review or any previous comments. He called making a 'joke' about a female character who is distraught over not being able to get a boy friend sexist (despite the author giving some of the male characters the exact same treatment).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Her not being able to find a boyfriend seems to be downplayed in favor of her other 'characteristic' that gets run into the ground a lot worse, and she also happens to do plot stuff.

None of that has come up in the anime yet, though. Keep in mind that these evaluations are strictly based on what the anime does/has done.

And while I don't want to get a big discussion going about it (in fact, I'm already regretting bringing it up in the review), harem series being anywhere from a little to a lot sexist is so commonplace that it's practically a given, hence the reason why I usually don't bother to mention it in reviews of harem series.

Zuwaiss wrote:
Could the review for 1-2 also be corrected, as I posted earlier in the thread:
Zuwaiss wrote:
Correcting the review, the boy they met wasn't Rias' younger brother, but Sirzech's son.

Also corrected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
None of that has come up in the anime yet, though. Keep in mind that these evaluations are strictly based on what the anime does/has done.

Yeah, I realize that which is why I didn't say what it was even if it is incredibly insignificant. Honestly, in hind sight just the last part of that is enough to make my point and saying 'wait for her character to be developed further' doesn't actually add anything to my point. The preview (and the pre airing promotional material with her character / character bio on the official site) does make it clear she will be involved to some degree in the plot though which means unlike Issei's friends, she does not solely exist to run the old 'you can't get a date, aren't you pathetic' joke. Even without knowing the extent of her involvement, it is enough that she is the focus of the next episode preview and appears in the opener and closing, so clearly it is going to be more than anything Issei's friends have contributed.

We have male characters who are made fun of for not being able to get girlfriends that do absolutely nothing else but play off that joke. We have a female character made fun of for not being able to get a boy friend but who gets to go do stuff unrelated to that joke. If one gender is being treated worse off by the running of this particular joke, it is clearly males.

The age thing wasn't specifically stated either, but that seemed to be an important false assumption to correct in case you were going with it being sexist because it was a reference to that crap about women over 30 needing to be married (which actually has a specific non flattering japanese term that I can't remember off hand) which itself is obviously sexist. As she is college age, that doesn't really apply. Also the closer (and I am pretty sure for S1 and S2 both) features exclusively the girls who are potential romantic interests so her being there should establish she is pretty young still even if she is older than Issei without them saying a specific age.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
The age thing wasn't specifically stated either, but that seemed to be an important false assumption to correct in case you were going with it being sexist because it was a reference to that crap about women over 30 needing to be married (which actually has a specific non flattering japanese term that I can't remember off hand) which itself is obviously sexist. As she is college age, that doesn't really apply. Also the closer (and I am pretty sure for S1 and S2 both) features exclusively the girls who are potential romantic interests so her being there should establish she is pretty young still even if she is older than Issei without them saying a specific age.

Yeah, the bolded part was, I think, a big part of what left that impression with me.

Besides, while it's not commonplace, adult women being part of a teenager's harem is hardly unknown. (An adult in the harem seems much more common in reverse harem series, though.)
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, the bolded part was, I think, a big part of what left that impression with me.

Besides, while it's not commonplace, adult women being part of a teenager's harem is hardly unknown. (An adult in the harem seems much more common in reverse harem series, though.)

I didn't realize that having a significantly older member of a harem or reverse harem was actually a thing.

That isn't the case here though as she is probably only 3-4 years older than Issei (going by his year in school as I don't remember if his actual age was mentioned), and I think that will become more obvious in the coming episodes when you see what her shtick really is (which isn't 'oh no, I'm over 30 and unmarried so I should be ashamed').
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I can't agree that the action was good. It's certainly present, but it's just a bunch of magic powers bouncing around. There's nothing interesting about the way they're used, everyone seems to be able to take time out of their fights to comment on everyone else's, and the characters' never used their characterizations, aside from a small number of moments. They were practically interchangeable with each other, or any other magic-wielding character from any other show.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 4

I can't agree that the action was good. It's certainly present, but it's just a bunch of magic powers bouncing around. There's nothing interesting about the way they're used, everyone seems to be able to take time out of their fights to comment on everyone else's, and the characters' never used their characterizations, aside from a small number of moments. They were practically interchangeable with each other, or any other magic-wielding character from any other show.

Agreed, especially since a major change is that spoiler[ Vali and his team are supposed to be teamed up with Issei's group against Loki in the novels rather than just appear near the end in addition to the use of the new ability Issei alluded to in the closer]

Regardless, this was a serviceable action episode with some character moments in between and my concerns about the adaptation of the novels have been alleviated a bit more
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 4
I can't agree that the action was good.

I also can't really agree that he action was good. It used way too many still shots and was really just rotating through the characters as they threw their one attack at stuff over and over. I mean I don't think it was really bad either, and it did do a good job constantly showing what most of the people there were doing rather than just implying they're all fighting and focusing on one fight at a time.

Ep 4 Review wrote:
The one significant flaw in the episode is that nothing Loki does here gives any sense of his traditional character as a trickster; he's simply a generic godly powerhouse.

I guess I can see how you might expect that and be disappointed. Nothing in this series so far has played him off that way though so even though I think it would have been better if they did play him off that way, I can't see that as a significant flaw.

What I do think was a significant flaw is that because of how they changed the fight, we essentially got a mirror of the fight against Kokabiel. The super powerful bad guy that none of the people present stand a chance against just summons some minions and sits there watching. Eventually he does something and just owns everyone present. At least Kokabiel gave the impression he was just sitting around waiting with time to kill which is still kinda dumb but at least he tried to justify it. Loki immediately starts off by essentially saying how they aren't even worth bothering with yet just sits around toying with them?

Yes, Saji was there to 'restrain' him, but even after demonstrating his power up and Loki showing some initial shock that the attack wasn't as weak as it looked, Loki pretty effortlessly got free.

I can be fine if they want to skip some LN stuff or alter it to condense it. If they want to change some stuff and go in their own direction, that isn't my preference, but it isn't like the LN is a flawless masterpiece nor do I think the original is always better. Changing it so we have the big boss sitting back laughing while his minions fight and lose was definitely not a change for the better. It isn't even consistent with itself. He doesn't think they're worth bothering with. The big attack he crushes them all with not only crushes them, but Ros points out and Loki agrees that using that attack directly leads him toward his goal... so he didn't use it before because why?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I guess I can see how you might expect that and be disappointed. Nothing in this series so far has played him off that way though so even though I think it would have been better if they did play him off that way, I can't see that as a significant flaw.

Actually, I'd argue that him not acting as one would expect of Loki in the previous episode, either, means that his lack of personality is an even bigger flaw. At least Kokabiel had some character to him.

Oh, and I probably should be clear that I have not read any of the source LNs (in fact, for any LNs, if they haven't officially been out in English then I haven't read them), so all reviews for this series are entirely based on the content as an anime. I definitely encourage people to bring up comparative comments in this thread, though.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Actually, I'd argue that him not acting as one would expect of Loki in the previous episode, either, means that his lack of personality is an even bigger flaw. At least Kokabiel had some character to him.

Yeah, Kokabiel was built up much better. To be fair to the anime, I remember LN Loki also being pretty boring as a villain. That makes me want to give them a pass, but if they're going to change things, there is so much they could do with Loki to make him interesting (which I guess is why you pointed it out as a flaw). In fact if they had played him more as a trickster and not straight up fighter, that could help explain why he just sits back while his pets fight.

That is a good point about lack of consistency with him from the last episode. The guy who just brazenly attacks a bunch of the bosses all at once is now in this episode content with sitting back and watching kids fight his pets. I guess he is tired from rushing all the way to their conference to stop their alliance and start ragnarok so he has decided to stop and take a break to play with the children?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10