• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Show By Rock!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amcnulty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
It's probably really weird that I'm hoping Hello Kitty herself or My Melody will make a cameo, right? (The show is already overly complex. But maybe in the audience.)
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I dunno... Wouldn't that require Hello Kitty to display some sort of emotion?
amcnulty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I dunno... Wouldn't that require Hello Kitty to display some sort of emotion?

They gave her a mouth in this anime:

Hello Kitty and Friends

(She even cried on this show and made me so sad as a kid, ha.)

You'd be surprised how far a mouth can go to emote apparently.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I see they still chose to omit eyebrows, but hindsight is 20/20.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
amcnulty wrote:
It's probably really weird that I'm hoping Hello Kitty herself or My Melody will make a cameo, right? (The show is already overly complex. But maybe in the audience.)

That would be pretty awesome, but there's no cameos from any other Sanrio characters in the game, so I'm not expecting there to be in the anime.

I suppose the closest we've gotten was Sanrio's egg character Gudetama cosplaying Plagmagica's members on the official SB69 anime site for April Fool's. Laughing
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I kept watching this past the first episode. I was so confused about the target audience at first lmao. A little early to tell but I think this might be in my top 3 for the season.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
When I saw that this show comes on at ten o' clock at night, I knew that it wasn't for kids.

It's also not that different from K-On in terms of its portrayal of teenage girls... Moa is basically Mugi with a cuter back story and a fluffier sweater.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Nice wordplay...

Show by Rock!! [in English] -> ショウ・バイ・ロック!! [in katakana] -> しょう・ばい・ろっく!! [in hiragana]. Now, we take the first 2 words [しょう・ばい], merge them [しょうばい] and turn them to kanji, we get 商売 [meaning 'business/commerce/trade; occupation/profession'].

In other words, "Profession: Rock(er)!!"
Xavi_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
wow, thanks for the insight Hameyadea!

As for the anime... I think the review is spot on; it's all show and very little substance (just like Etotama). Meh, I have this urge to drop this one and go re-watch thicker shows like Escaflowne or Sleeping with Hinako.
shterraarson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
You know that scene in Spongebob where he dusts an ice cream cone with his eyelashes and Plankton freaks out like "It's too cute! It's...disgusting! Need...Hatred..." and slithers away in a fetal position? That was basically my reaction within the first 5 minutes of watching this show. WAAAAAAY too much adorable for my brain to handle.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
"Grown men need to intake fatty oils." Words to live by. Smile

I think it was more than "broadly hinted" that they were connected. They were evidently in a band together.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Moa's mother's insistence on cooking the food she sent is going to be significant when it arrives. Smile
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
"It's likely an attempt to work every band from the game into the series"

If only that were the case. No, unfortunately for us game fans, the five bands that have performed thus far are the only bands that will be performing in the anime at all. These first four episodes were just working on introducing all the bands who will be important in the anime. From here on out, we won't be getting any more bands aside from the five performing. Which sucks for people whose favorite band are any one of the 15 that won't be important in the series, all we can hope for is that our favorite band with get a short voiced cameo like Uwasanopetals got in episode 3.

Speaking of short voiced cameos, the water bottle shown in the episode 5 preview reveals that my favorite band in the game, Shizuku Secretmind may be getting one of these next week. Too bad they won't have a song because I love their music. Sad
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Part of me kind of wishes ShinganCrimsonz was the show's primary focus, but I can see why that wouldn't jibe with the program's target demo.

Also, based on all the recycled audience reaction shots, I'm going to assume that every concert in Midi City is attended by the exact same animal-people.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:
...unfortunately for us game fans, the five bands that have performed thus far are the only bands that will be performing in the anime at all.

Out of curiosity, do you have a reference for this? I haven't seen it elsewhere yet. (And yes, speaking as someone in the 'favorite band I hope makes a cameo' camp, I have a vested interest...)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
I have to say, Retoree gives puppy love a whole new meaning! Laughing

I really hope when FUNimation releases this show on BDs, they also collaborate with Sanrio to bring over the merchandise and the smartphone game as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7