• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2015 Survey Feedback

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Please feel free to elaborate on anything from the survey here.

Edit: Huge list of replies here.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4529610#4529610

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I definitely prefer keeping forums on a separate page from the article itself. I know that isn't the modern way of doing things, but I feel like comments under the article end up getting lost pretty quickly and it tends to result in people only responding to whatever comments happen to be immediately visible.

The question about rating ANN 5.0 through me for a second. I'm so used to it at this point, I didn't even think about how long it has been since it rolled out.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
When you do season rundowns, it would be nice if we could keep discussions about each show separate somehow. Those threads tend to rise in page numbers really quickly, and you usually cover a LOT of shows.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Bring Pile of Shame back first of all and not every random news item needs a separate talk-back section (as some are way too connected with each other). News on current anime could be liked to the forum section for the weekly reviews as the people who will participate there will probably be interested to talk about said news stories with each other and not in multiple different places.

More analytical industry insight was the choice i was interested the most besides that so do that.

Edit: Calathan makes a good point with encyclopedia errors. That should be a priority above else.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven't filled out the survey yet, but I'm planning to do it when I get home and have more time. However, I was looking it over and noticed that RightStuf wasn't a choice for favorite anime company (it was listed under retailers, but not in the earlier question where the choices were licensors). I would like to vote for them as my favorite licensor. Is there any chance they could be added as a choice?

For general feedback, the thing I would most want to see is for submissions to the Encyclopedia and error reports to get processed faster. I have some submissions that have been waiting for years. There is one thing I've been waiting for that someone else first reported 9 years ago. I know Dan is working on a new version of the Encyclopedia, but I don't really think that will solve the problem. You can already vote in support or against new submissions and error reports, but even the ones with lots of votes rarely get acted on. I would gladly pay more for my subscription if I knew the extra money would go to processing the submission queue and error reports. I know that Dan is very busy with other things for the site, but if there was any way he could spend even just a few hours a month to tackle some of the oldest submission queue entries and error reports, I think it would really help a lot with the backlog.
Sped17

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I miss Anime News Nina. I would love to see that brought back, but I think a similar comic for the site would be fun.
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I think this poll would benefit from a country option. For some of the questions (such as simulcasting sites) you wouldn't want to analyse the statistics from North American folk and middle eastern folk (like myself) together.
Also, some of the questions are really weird for people like myself, who speak Japanese and mostly buy manga from Japan, rather than from an American company.
For instance: Do you want to learn Japanese?" or "What is your favorite manga company?".

Just my 2 cents...
Bashnek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Madman streaming room no longer exists, its now AnimeLab (along with some non-madman series)

And since when is KissAnime a legal streaming service? dont they monetize fansubs?
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Bashnek wrote:
And since when is KissAnime a legal streaming service? don't they monetize fansubs?

That wasn't on there when I did the survey. I'm pretty sure if someone adds it as other it shows up in the list. And there a lot of people that don't know the difference between legal and illegal streaming services.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
In response to the question of how many DVDs or Blurays were purchased I counted each purchase as a single item. This was regardless of whether it was a four episode single from Aniplex or an entire older series from NISA. My monthly rate is all over the place as it depends on what comes out that month. Last year the total was 119 so I just estimated 100. Some years are a lot lower some higher.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Almost didn't expect Windows Phone to be a specified OS Razz

I don't think it was meant to be intentionally manipulative, but the question about daily e-mails has the "No" option above the "Yes" option while it's the other way around for other Yes-No questions. Quickly clicked through it and realized I selected "Yes" when I meant "No." Just an amusing observation...

What defines a regional convention?
checarlos87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Nothing much to improve on this wonderful site, IMO.

My #1 request would be to show comments below the article. It's bugged me for long while. If the forum structure is kept, then at least a feature to see the most recent posts underneath the article would be great. I just like seeing reaction to the article immediately (sometimes even before reading the article itself). The comments themselves can be motivation to read the article, and the current setup doesn't allow such a reading flow. In that aspect, it's a wasted opportunity, IMO.

I liked the idea of bringing Brain Dive back (actually learned of the column on the survey itself). I love academic discourse on otaku culture and videogames (like Hiroki Azuma's Database Animals and Fandom Unbound). I'm always looking for more such texts yet only rarely seem to find them.

In general, just keep being awesome. Cool
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

What defines a regional convention?

Probably within your state. Something you could drive to in a reasonable amount of time.

I also agree with having talkback with the reviews. Many times a subject is brought up in either talkback or in the review comments, only for the poster to be told that subject has already been discussed in the other place.

Last edited by whiskeyii on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Like those before, I'd like to see the encyclopedia-side of the site taken care of more. Also, some of the submissions on the survey need to be edited by a moderator; Kiss Anime needs to be removed from the list and some of the other options need to be . . . edited to make sense.
Sped17 wrote:
I miss Anime News Nina. I would love to see that brought back, but I think a similar comic for the site would be fun.
I would also like to see the return of an editorial cartoonist.
Bashnek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Bashnek wrote:
And since when is KissAnime a legal streaming service? don't they monetize fansubs?

That wasn't on there when I did the survey. I'm pretty sure if someone adds it as other it shows up in the list. And there a lot of people that don't know the difference between legal and illegal streaming services.

There was no "other" option when i did it and KA was listed

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDYWxiBUsAAbLe9.png:large < pic

Having it work like that is going to lead to a lot of misinformation & confusion though, not to mention shitty data since half of it will be moot now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7