• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-07-20]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, I loved the Flake of the Week.
Sailor Maddie Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
where tens of thousands of wet anime fans will gather to scream internet catchphrases and Harry Potter spoilers for 3 days in a convention center. I'm so convinced that some super-hilarious comedy king will walk around the Baltimore convention center screaming spoilers for the last Harry Potter book that I just went ahead and spoiled myself on it anyway so at least he (or she) won't have the satisfaction

I'm seriously worried about someone doing that! I'm all paranoid and thinking about locking myself somewhere with the book on Saturday. D:

Anyone know any good places to hide? [other than a hotel room?]
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I figure other people are facing the same problem, so here, I'll end your misery and just ruin it for you now so you won't be spoiled this weekend: Ron kills Hermione, Harry marries Draco and Hagrid becomes Secretary of Agriculture during Voldemort's first presidential term. On the final page, Rowling announces that she's planning a 10-book cycle called "The Flying Dursleys", which follow Harry's former abusive family as they become unlikely Quiddich champions and learn about love, laughter and friendship along the way. There, see? That wasn't so bad, was it?

If what he said was true(which isn't of course), that would have been the best ending ever.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Are staffers really rude, or are people just exagerating?

I tend to be on the staffers side because I can relate to staffers dealing w/ patrons. If they're enforcing rules maybe they're just doing it keep it less boisterous and uncontrolable (I'm pretty sure in a con, there will be rabbid anime fans), instead just doing it to make everyone's lives miserable. Plus, if they don't enforce rules, I hate to be the one who lines up for the next event, and 100 people decide to cut you off to get it first and who will protect others from the glomping and yaoi paddles?

And as Zac said, they're volunteers. Beggars can't be choosers: If the only person they can get is rude, it's better than having none

Last edited by ichiro3923 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mini-Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
....nice....poem? Laughing
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Maddie Mouse wrote:
Quote:
where tens of thousands of wet anime fans will gather to scream internet catchphrases and Harry Potter spoilers for 3 days in a convention center. I'm so convinced that some super-hilarious comedy king will walk around the Baltimore convention center screaming spoilers for the last Harry Potter book that I just went ahead and spoiled myself on it anyway so at least he (or she) won't have the satisfaction

I'm seriously worried about someone doing that! I'm all paranoid and thinking about locking myself somewhere with the book on Saturday. D:

Yeah, it really pisses me off when they feel it's their duty to scream spoilers. Noone really cares if they know the ending of Harry Potter.
saini85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
This week's column is much better than last week's but I will disagree with your comment about cowboy beebop. I know it isn't one of mamoru Oshii's works but there were plenty of episodes that made you think, without being forceful with it's content. Especially the episode with 'SCRATCH'. Anyways, I'm glad that others think that 'Flight of the conchords' is great because I find it hillarious.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
@ Anime vs American TV:
All I have to say is Mythbusters, 24 and Titus. Just a few of the great TV shows that have appeared on American TV.

@ Flake:
Ummmm....OK. A flake in poem form? Didn't see that coming; but that has to be the best flake ever.

@Rant:
That was actually really good, again I'm surprised it didn't win (your standards must be really high).
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Maddie Mouse wrote:

I, too, am sealing myself away this weekend to do nothing but read. I accidentally found out the big spoiler from the last book ahead of time and I don't want that happening again. So from Friday at midnight until... however long it takes, it's just going to be me, the Deathly Hallows, and a comfortable reading chair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
@ Anime vs American TV:
All I have to say is Mythbusters, 24 and Titus. Just a few of the great TV shows that have appeared on American TV.

@ Flake:
Ummmm....OK. A flake in poem form? Didn't see that coming; but that has to be the best flake ever.

@Rant:
That was actually really good, again I'm surprised it didn't win (your standards must be really high).

Yeah I was also surprised that rant didn't win. It seemed very well-written (except for the "too" being misused at the beginning the rant, I didn't see any grammatical errors either)

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Real Justin Bailey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
@Rant:

Thank you DemonEyes. It took me a while to write, so I'm glad to see someone liked it.

Last edited by The Real Justin Bailey on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:

Yeah, it really pisses me off when they feel it's their duty to scream spoilers. Noone really cares if they know the ending of Harry Potter.

Except those of us that hate being spoiled and want to find out ourselves. We really care and really, really wish they would shut the hell up. I'm pretty sure some asshole(s) is(/are) going to sign up on forums (possibly including this one) and start a bunch of threads with spoilers in the topics just to ruin things for people like me. I remember someone doing exactly that on another forum right before a episode 50 of FMA aired on Adult Swim and started a bunch of topics (in every single subforum) titled spoiler["Ed dies in 50!!!!"] And I hadn't seen anywhere near that point yet since I was watching it as the DVDs came out. Mad
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Holy crap! Zac referenced Whitest Kids U' Know! And considered it good! O_o

+5 awesome points for Zac.

Awesome show, glad to see The Office in that list, too. Picking up the season 3 boxset the moment it hits store shelves and I can't wait for season 4 to start.

The question related to that always makes me steam with hate. I'm a fan of all kinds of animation, and really get pissed off when that type of question is targeted specifically at American cartoons.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
I lost a few brain cells reading that flake. Laughing This one tops the "Digimon Bitch" flake by far!!

And lets hope I can make it though the night without any meanies spoiling Harry Potter. Mad There's always a party pooper out there...
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Wow to the Flake of the Week.

Although I do have to comment on one thing about hotsprings. Anime can be misleading. The lady at the hotsprings in Japan wouldn't let me go in with a towel around my body. Anime hyper I guess those were just ways to bypass the nudity block on TV.

I agree with the anime being the best part. Although I watch more anime than American TV, it's not hard for me to tell that there are a lot of bad shows as good shows. I used to like everything when I was in middle school ,but now as a high schooler, when I look back at those shows, I realize how flawed they all. (Usually I still like them for sentimental reasons)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9