• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spoiler Tags Guidelines discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
mdo7, there is no penalty for using spoiler tags. If people prefer to use them or are uncertain, then feel free to do so (the rule even states it as such). I just feel that there shouldn't be a penalty for not using spoiler tags in certain threads.

=======

We live in a time where we get to simulcast a large majority of the shows from Japan the same time they're watching it over there. Over time, if you're aware, you'll know exactly when the shows you're watching are having their episodes streamed on Crunchyroll/Funimation/elsewhere. At the very least, you'll know the day it does so. Yona of the Dawn was every Tuesday, and I knew I could expect the posts to start rolling in for the new episode around noon that day.

In most discussion threads, the discussion doesn't last the entire week. Series like Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online are the exceptions to the norm... occasionally there's an ongoing debate that won't stop, but threads usually go through predictable high and low times of activity. It'll be active for a few days after the episode airs, with some stragglers here and there, but normally there's a period of downtime before the next episode. If you suddenly see people posting again in the Anime Discussion thread on the day that the series normally airs (and if one of those people posting happen to be Stark700 or ookamigirl, hint hint), then you can reasonably expect that the next episode is being discussed. You don't need to risk anything.

=====

I'm going to be working on some coding for a bit, so scuse any upcoming double posts.

Touma, I saw your second post, so I'll make those changes in a while also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Okay, the first post has been updated again. Included additional language as pointed out by Touma, and the examples can now be referenced as 1a, 2b, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Quote:
I agree if you're reading the most current thread page for a series discussion in the anime section that is currently airing you should assume the discussion is going to be up to date on the most current episodes.

One minor problem with this is when there is any delay in the legal stream, even as little as 24 hours. We have several posters who rush to post their comments which sometimes appear before Crunchyroll or Funimation can get the episode up. I think these should be treated the same as spoilers from the source material. After the legal stream are available they could edit the post to remove the spoiler tags. An inconvenience but a small price for the "cred" of being the first to post. Confused

Point taken. I was sort of going on the assumption people should be waiting until the legal steam is out. I know, foolish assumption.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I coulda' sworn that that I read somewhere that postings in the talkback forum for episode reviews do not require spoiler tags, while postings in the dedicated series discussion threads in the Anime forum do require spoilers -- but now I can't find it, so I can only conclude that I was partially mistaken.

Live and learn.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote
Sadly, a lot of people don't seem to realize they no longer need to use spoiler tags in threads that are dedicated to a specific series. I wonder if there is a way to get the word out other than just this thread (which apparently isn't being widely read/understood)?

What about this: putting a sticky to the effect right in the anime discussion forum? That's where it makes the most difference because that's the most heavily used discussion form. Once that seeps into board culture, that stickied thread can be removed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolling Eyes
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Moved & stickied thread.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll mull that over. It's part of a bigger issue and I need to decide how to handle the entire issue, not just the spoilers.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
This might be related: theme abuse. Some "themes" are also big spoilers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
Very happy to see this thread in this forum. Hopefully it will help get the word out that events from an episode that have been broadcast do not need spoiler tags IF the post is in a discussion thread dedicated to that show. That should make the discussion threads more eye friendly, for sure.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Split the thread to keep discussion separate from the actual guidelines. Makes things cleaner.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yep, good idea. Assuming I can summon the energy, I might start mentioning in posts about the new approach.

*imagines reading through an anime discussion thread that doesn't look like a redacted NSA document*

*gets a chub*
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
So if spoiler tags are no longer needed in dedicated threads shouldn't we advise, no scrap that, demand that the OP states in the title or in the opening post (preferably bolded in red) that the thread contains untagged spoilers. That way new comers who might just be trying to find some outsider thoughts on shows wouldn't accidentally end up spoiling the show for themselves.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
But really isn't it just understood that a discussion thread dedicated to a show is going to contain plot details? Honestly, I think ANN was alone in thinking this had to be done. Even then, the whole concept seems like it was the brainchild of a few misguided mods. Normally, a message board wouldn't think of treating stuff that happens in an episode as a spoiler if you are posting in a thread dedicated to discussing that show. I've never run into that before, only here.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Quote:
shouldn't we advise, no scrap that, demand that the OP states in the title or in the opening post (preferably bolded in red) that the thread contains untagged spoilers

No, I don't think so. Given that it is a thread dedicated to discussion of the show on an episode by episode basis, I think spoiler warning should be unnecessary. You can't discuss a show without discussing developments that people call "spoilers." A newcomer who did open such a thread would, at worst, have a couple of episodes "spoiled" unless they were really slow to note a pattern.

Most of what was put under spoilers in the past was unnecessary. People were marking as "spoilers" minor episode plot and story developments that were unimportant in the full run of the show. True spoilers should be limited to absolutely unanticipated developments or the denouement of the entire show. Minor stuff should be considered a spoiler only if it comes from the source material or is posted before the legal stream becomes available.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
I do think that people should expect spoilers in a series discussion thread, but I also think that there is nothing wrong with the idea of having a spoiler warning in the opening post.

The opening post should also remind people to use episode numbers at the start of their posts.

As far as I can remember these are the only forums that I visited regularly that ever used spoiler tags in series discussions.
But these are also the only forums that do not have a threaded view, and that makes a big difference.
In my opinion the best solution for the lack of a threaded view is the use of episode numbers at the top of the posts, not spoiler tags.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3