• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Oneshots & Related Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I would post this in the Suggestion sticky, but I think it may need some discussion: Would it be possible to create a separate index in the manga encyclopedia for oneshots much like there is a separate index for anthologies?

As I've been working off and on endorsing/opposing new manga, I've found a few submissions that are simply oneshots. Oftentimes, I have been finding that these oneshots are already part of a manga that exists in the database. I would think it's safe to assume that these oneshots are submitted because people are finding them on separate databases or through scanlations.

Currently, if oneshots are a part of a full manga, their titles are only found in the "Chapter titles" section of an entry, and I'm not sure how many people would know to look there for them. A new index for these would allow them to have their own distinct pages, and then they could be linked to the full manga that they are found in.

An example of this that I know recently occurred was someone submitted the title "Shojo Eve: Eve's Applework 24 Hours", a oneshot by Arina Tanemura. I reported this as erroneous because it is included as a bonus chapter in Gentlemen's Alliance Cross. Because of this, the new title was removed and not included in the index. Another one I just recently reported for this same reason is "Couple", a oneshot by Yuu Watase included in another one of her manga.

At this point, I would also like to suggest that a separate information section be added to encyclopedia entries for "Related manga" rather than just "Related anime". The oneshots could fall in this new category, and it would be nice to have a distinguishable separation between anime and manga in cases such as these:
manga#15607
manga#12308
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you, but you have to remember that this website was designed under the Western / North American / Anglosphere point of view almost two decades ago, and with very few exceptions most manga titles are available only though collected volumes i.e. tankōbun. For the record, there are still "relics" of pre-millennium features, such as "Comic book (pamphlet-style)" is still a valid format for manga, although it has never been used for many years and all major publishers have switched to "Graphic novel" format (along with right-to-left, unflipped style).

There had been a plan to overhaul the Encyclopedia and turn the database into chapter/episode-based, or at least adding a new "layer" of chapters/episodes, thus eliminating the problem of categorizing oneshots, bonus episodes only available on physical media, omake, recaps, etc. However the scale of the overhaul would be way too large.

I'd say a quick fix would be allowing "0" to be entered at "Number of tankōbun" field, indicating the one-off story has not been collected into a tankōbun of its own. Should it be included within a tankōbun of another title, a description and/or a link could be added to its release date page.

Chibi Shoujo wrote:
At this point, I would also like to suggest that a separate information section be added to encyclopedia entries for "Related manga" rather than just "Related anime". The oneshots could fall in this new category, and it would be nice to have a distinguishable separation between anime and manga in cases such as these:
manga#15607
manga#12308

"Related anime" was a rather generic term back when this website was designed only for anime. I look forward to replacing "Related anime" with more generic terms e.g. "Related works" or "Related titles," but doing so requires Admin approval.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I'd say a quick fix would be allowing "0" to be entered at "Number of tankōbun" field, indicating the one-off story has not been collected into a tankōbun of its own. Should it be included within a tankōbun of another title, a description and/or a link could be added to its release date page.

I had thought about that, but I wasn't sure if this was something feasible since it might make the index (as it is currently) unbearably long. Almost to the point of needing to break up the alphabetical listings even further than just #-Z.

Though I'm sure that many users, including myself, wouldn't mind having oneshots listed separately with this quick fix idea. The links between them and other titles would be really helpful, especially for people interested in reading the oneshots as part of a larger series.

dormcat wrote:
"Related anime" was a rather generic term back when this website was designed only for anime. I look forward to replacing "Related anime" with more generic terms e.g. "Related works" or "Related titles," but doing so requires Admin approval.

I think updating the term would be helpful. I also wonder if there would be a better way of making the title types stand out more. Currently my eyes read the relationships to the entry first (spinoff, sequel, etc.) since they are distinct from the links, and then I have to read within the link for the type (TV, light novel, manga, etc.).

I'm not sure if the system currently organizes related titles by their type, but sometimes it seems to jump around. As more of a manga aficionado, I would like to jump straight to related manga titles than having to visually sift through everything. This could be just me, though, that has this issue. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1