• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are you ever too old for manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
that's just publishers following the money, they do try to get more stuff out but it's not greeted with the same enthusiasm when released.
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Manga's something that's for all ages. Different age groups means it can never be for young ones only. Plus, I'm pretty sure any elder would like Mushi-Shi.
ayanami000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
Definitely not, age doesn't really matter. If you are 30 and still into Manga, who cares. People need to mind their own business. HA! :p
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Is 30 as old as you can imagine anyone being? That is rather young. There are a number of people here in their 40's, 50's and older.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
ayanami000 wrote:
Definitely not, age doesn't really matter. If you are 30 and still into Manga, who cares. People need to mind their own business. HA! :p

I believe that in a couple of decades there will be more people over 30 reading manga than under. In anime I think that most hardcore Japanese fans might be over 30 as well, among those superotaku that buy the blu ray series for 500 dollars, most must be making quite some money so I expect most to be "old". Though in Pixvit most artists that I saw there are in their 20's, mainly because you need to have some free time to do art like that and people with families don't have that luxury.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ayanami000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
ayanami000 wrote:

I believe that in a couple of decades there will be more people over 30 reading manga than under. In anime I think that most hardcore Japanese fans might be over 30 as well, among those superotaku that buy the blu ray series for 500 dollars, most must be making quite some money so I expect most to be "old". Though in Pixvit most artists that I saw there are in their 20's, mainly because you need to have some free time to do art like that and people with families don't have that luxury.

Exactly. Reading manga definitely has no age limit, just like reading books. lol
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Is 30 as old as you can imagine anyone being? That is rather young. There are a number of people here in their 40's, 50's and older.

Shit, I just turned 33. Guess it's time to burn my manga collection and start my subscription to the Wall Street journal.
ayanami000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

Shit, I just turned 33. Guess it's time to burn my manga collection and start my subscription to the Wall Street journal.

NOOOO! pls noooo...give them to me instead! Anime hyper
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
We do occasionally give away manga, anime and figures as well. But this takes place in the Subscriber forum, you have to subscribe.

For what it is worth, I just turned 70 and I'm still collecting and reading manga. So you have to be older then that to be "too old for manga".
ayanami000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
We do occasionally give away manga, anime and figures as well. But this takes place in the Subscriber forum, you have to subscribe.

For what it is worth, I just turned 70 and I'm still collecting and reading manga. So you have to be older then that to be "too old for manga".

Whoa, that's cool. And there it is NO Such Age Limit thing. Hehe.
kookykonata

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
I personally think that you can't be "too old" for manga.
Especially now-a-days here in the States, with what I call the "Comic Book Boom" age going on. It's becoming more and more accepted. Manga is no different, just less color.

Heck, I started reading manga at 14, and I am still reading it religiously now at 25. As long as you enjoy it, (and it's not hurting anyone else) keep doing what you like. Life is too short to try to impress everyone. Live your life, and love what you love!
ayanami000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
im not too old to read manga and i will still read even if im already 75 lol
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Also I don't think I posted this before (I showed it to my co-worker who told me he found it weird that a 26 year old reads manga, poor ignorant guy) here, but according to wikipedia on Big Comic Original, one of the top selling seinen magazines: More than 83% of readers are reported to be over 30 years old, with female readers comprising about a quarter of the total. Most readers are company employees. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Comic_Original)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverbladeVI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
No Manga is for people of all ages. 16-18 year olds should check out Seinen manga. Its pretty good. Very Happy
annasartin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
You're never too old to read what you love. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3