• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Necroposting.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
One more thing; how do you post a comment as a discussion in the forum for a review?

I want to state some comments on some older Sailor Moon reviews (they are from 2002 and 2003) but I don't wanna end up necroposting...and there's no "discuss this in the forum" thing...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
You mean create your own thread?

Just go to the appropriate forum and click on the button that says New Topic (should be towards the top of the page).

Then type a title as your subject, type your opening post in the box, then click Submit.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
OK, Thank you!
jstrahan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem regarding so-called 'necroposting'. Regardless of age, if a post has relevance, it should be allowed. Also, the history of something can be important, also. To me, peoples attitudes on this subject approach OCD.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
@jstrahan

The problem is that most necroposts are not at all relevant. Most of the time they are trying to support or refute a discussion that died years ago. They are frequently one line disagreements or use as examples shows that hadn't yet been broadcast at the time of the prior discussion. Further, the people involved in the old thread are frequently no longer active.

It is not that difficult to start a new thread. If you feel a comment in a prior thread is a gem of wisdom or represents a false position still in vogue, it is not that hard to reference it. Just quote the prior comment (with where it came from) or better yet link it to your new thread.

That said, the bottom line is that this is part of the official rules. You don't have to like the rules but you do have to follow them. If you want to argue that the rule should be changed, you need a more persuasive argument than you have provided.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
^
Thank you for your eloquence. I did feel like responding, but felt like that that to do so would be like saying, in effect, "You will do what I say because of my AUTHORITY."
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@jstrahan

The problem is that most necroposts are not at all relevant. Most of the time they are trying to support or refute a discussion that died years ago. They are frequently one line disagreements or use as examples shows that hadn't yet been broadcast at the time of the prior discussion. Further, the people involved in the old thread are frequently no longer active.

It is not that difficult to start a new thread. If you feel a comment in a prior thread is a gem of wisdom or represents a false position still in vogue, it is not that hard to reference it. Just quote the prior comment (with where it came from) or better yet link it to your new thread.

Wanted to bold 2 parts of your post Alan. Alan is indeed correct. I'd say at least 8, if not 9, out of 10 necroposts are not worthwhile. Most are simple one liners (I just got rid of 2 last night), emoticons, or other honestly pointless posts. The vast majority offer no legitimate discussion or comment in any intelligent way on the thread they are reviving. Expanding beyond that most topics that get revived are also not worth it. There's no point in bringing up some old news article on the release date of a show, the cast announcement of another show, or some other thread who's relativity has long since passed.

Actual reviews of shows/manga, the weekly columns, or dedicated series discussion threads (anime and manga) are exempt from necroposting however. So those threads can be revived if they have been inactive because they do still hold merit and value and can foster good discussion years later. As Alan also pointed out if a topic you want to discuss is not one of those that are exempt, or if you're unsure, you can PM a mod or simply create a new thread for that topic or request that any important information be merged into a new thread.

We prefer to see it not as being OCD but rather cutting down on the pointless clutter than can accumulate in the forums.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Actual reviews of shows/manga, the weekly columns, or dedicated series discussion threads (anime and manga) are exempt from necroposting however. So those threads can be revived if they have been inactive because they do still hold merit and value and can foster good discussion years later.

Just to amplify on this: Editorial content (as opposed to news content) does not time out. Zac Bertschy has said so himself.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:

Just to amplify on this: Editorial content (as opposed to news content) does not time out. Zac Bertschy has said so himself.

Is the Answerman column considered to be editorial in this context?
I think that it probably is editorial but I wanted to check because I just saw a post that would be necroposting if the Answerman threads are not exempt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
@Touma
Interesting question. By usual standards any of the regular columns, Answerman and all of these new banner essays along with the Podcast would constitute editoral material.

However, in the thread you are referencing, the new post is a direct reply to a discussion that had pretty much died a natural death several months ago. The old Answerman threads could get rather mixed due to the multiple questions discussed. It is possible the new single question format will result in more focused discussion.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
I thought that it was just the review threads that never timed out?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
^
At first, I agreed with your interpretation, but then I became confused and asked for clarification.

Anything labelled "news" (or "interest") has a time-out date based on the last or next-to-last post-date. A.N.N. editorial content (columns and/or essays), however, never times out -- never. This comes directly from Zac Bertschy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The same goes for official series discussion threads in the anime/manga sections. The threads linked in those stickies never time out.

Though I want to point out one big thing regarding necroposting and threads that do not time out. Just because the thread/discussion does not time and is immune to the necroposting rule does NOT mean your post is immune from deletion. If you're going to necropost you need to have a good post when doing so. A simple "i agree" or "this is awesome" does not equal a quality post and is not a valid reason to bring up an old thread. The thread would be left open and available to post in, but your post would still be deleted.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Anything labelled "news" (or "interest") has a time-out date based on the last or next-to-last post-date. A.N.N. editorial content (columns and/or essays), however, never times out ...

That makes it clear enough for me.
Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
One more question, do news articles time out after a certain time? I'm wondering because I was contemplating of writing a comment on this article: animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-07-18/last-sailor-moon-crystal-episode-ends-with-a-bientot-message-toei-plans-announcements/.90613

which is 1 month and 11 days old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11