• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where can I buy Rurouni Kenshin non-bootleg DVDs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NativePanda

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
Recently I bought a bootleg Rurouni Kenshin complete TV series and OVA collection. For the most part, considering they're bootlegs, they're not bad. It's watchable, and the OVAs are in surprisingly good quality.

However I want to be able to buy the real collection on DVD that is playable in the UK (where I live), and this is extremely hard to find (I'm not too bothered about any of the episodes after episode 64, the filler part I mean, but it would be nice to have those anyway). I looked into this and discovered the collections that you can buy (in the wooden boxes) for relatively cheap on eBay, but they're only playable in Region 1 (US and Canada).

I'm even struggling to find any form of Rurouni Kenshin series DVD that is playable in my region on my DVD player. Any light shed on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
If you use a laptop to watch stuff, you can always use a program like Blaze DVD to watch any region's DVDs. That's how I watch Region 2 DVDs on my laptop.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Check E-Bay. I'm seeing several auction and fixed price listings for the 2010 complete series that Media Blasters released that are selling for less than $100 and go as low as $40 currently. I'd be quick to snag any of them up as you never know how long they will be up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NativePanda

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Check E-Bay. I'm seeing several auction and fixed price listings for the 2010 complete series that Media Blasters released that are selling for less than $100 and go as low as $40 currently. I'd be quick to snag any of them up as you never know how long they will be up.

I'd really like to see some of these, but I can't seem to find any when I check eBay. I'm not sure how you could show me or tell me what these look like / are called (I'm new to the forum so I don't know what the rules are about this specifically). Also are these Media Blasters ones playable in my region?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Doing some research, it looks like the Region 2 (UK) DVDs were released by ADV Films. Unfortunately, at least my ebay search only pulled up the OAV for ADV films-related stuff. Perhaps searching ebay.uk will bode better?

Or, of course, getting a region-free program to run Region 1 DVDs.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
NativePanda wrote:
I'd really like to see some of these, but I can't seem to find any when I check eBay. I'm not sure how you could show me or tell me what these look like / are called (I'm new to the forum so I don't know what the rules are about this specifically). Also are these Media Blasters ones playable in my region?

What country are you from? I pulled my results from E-Bay's American site, which mostly contain all the American releases. Your results may differ from mine if you are outside of the country.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Panda says UK in the first post.
NativePanda

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
I'm from the UK. Also in reply to Dessa, I'm looking on the UK site now. All I can find is region 4 and 1. Some of the OVAs are for region 2, but the case quality looks not so good on them and I'm more interested in finding the series on DVD. This is honestly much harder than I thought it would be.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
I got all three box sets of the TV series and the OVA box set (Trust/Betrayal/Reflection) at separate times for about $200 total off of ebay. Just gotta be patient.
NativePanda

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
I got all three box sets of the TV series and the OVA box set (Trust/Betrayal/Reflection) at separate times for about $200 total off of ebay. Just gotta be patient.

What were the names of these box sets? And which region were they from?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse is right sometimes it requires a lot of patience. Unfortunately, ebay is not going to have everything for sale when we want it. I've had to wait up to 2 years to collect some OOP titles and I know for some people its been longer. I think the first thing you need to identify is was it released in the UK and by which company? This will tell you if being patient will pay off with a region 2 dvds or if you will be forced to buy region1 versions down the line.

I think the OVAs were released in the UK by ADV's arm ADV Filmworks. So its possible that it may come up on ebay at some point. The show on the other, hand was licensed in NA by Media Blasters and released by their AnimeWorks label. I don't know if they released it in the UK though or if a UK company did. If someone did release it then there's also hope that it will pop-up on ebay or amazonUK and you will just have to be vigilant.
NativePanda

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Sohma_Curse is right sometimes it requires a lot of patience. Unfortunately, ebay is not going to have everything for sale when we want it. I've had to wait up to 2 years to collect some OOP titles and I know for some people its been longer. I think the first thing you need to identify is was it released in the UK and by which company? This will tell you if being patient will pay off with a region 2 dvds or if you will be forced to buy region1 versions down the line.

I think the OVAs were released in the UK by ADV's arm ADV Filmworks. So its possible that it may come up on ebay at some point. The show on the other, hand was licensed in NA by Media Blasters and released by their AnimeWorks label. I don't know if they released it in the UK though or if a UK company did. If someone did release it then there's also hope that it will pop-up on ebay or amazonUK and you will just have to be vigilant.

Thanks for clearing that up man. I was really wondering if it was available in the UK to start with (the series that is), but it's also good to know that I can buy the OVAs for this country. I will be patient in waiting for anything to come up.
I know this is also asking a bit much, but I recently found out you can buy the OVAs on Blu-Ray. I know that these were a limited release, but I really want to find somewhere I can buy these for a decent price. Any suggestions?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
NativePanda wrote:
I know this is also asking a bit much, but I recently found out you can buy the OVAs on Blu-Ray. I know that these were a limited release, but I really want to find somewhere I can buy these for a decent price. Any suggestions?

I think they were only released in Japan, NA, and Germany. Some said that there's a significant upgrade quality wise and I believe the subtitle script was also updated on the BDs. I'm not sure but I think the NA version was region-free and Blu-ray.com lists it that way. But I would wait for someone to chime in in this thread who owns them to verify. If it is region free then buying off ebay is a good bet, however you'll have to play the waiting game again.

I've seen a lot of Japanese versions selling on ebay before. They both are identical except that the NA had a booklet of translations for the Japanese booklet, so be careful. The Japanese version has English subtitles and its region A, but I don't know if it supports other regions as well, so that would be something that you need to ascertain. You might want to try also posting in the blu-ray.com anime forums as they have several people that buy imports and are fairly knowledgeable.
NativePanda

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
NativePanda wrote:

I think they were only released in Japan, NA, and Germany. Some said that there's a significant upgrade quality wise and I believe the subtitle script was also updated on the BDs. I'm not sure but I think the NA version was region-free and Blu-ray.com lists it that way. But I would wait for someone to chime in in this thread who owns them to verify. If it is region free then buying off ebay is a good bet, however you'll have to play the waiting game again.

I've seen a lot of Japanese versions selling on ebay before. They both are identical except that the NA had a booklet of translations for the Japanese booklet, so be careful. The Japanese version has English subtitles and its region A, but I don't know if it supports other regions as well, so that would be something that you need to ascertain. You might want to try also posting in the blu-ray.com anime forums as they have several people that buy imports and are fairly knowledgeable.

Thanks for the info on this. I'm gonna wait on eBay until something comes up, and if not I'll use the link you provided.
But I've recently discovered that you can purchase the series on DVD for region 2, called the 'Complete DVD Box'. It includes a small replica of Kenshin's reverse blade sword, I'm sure you know which one I mean. However this is exceedingly expensive and I am unsure if it is in English dub or not. But regardless I am not willing to pay that amount of money, I'm just gonna put this on this thread so people know Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1