• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks August 2015 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Sohma_Curse wrote:
Nothing for me unless Chuni2 gets a BD release (eventually, if at all).
I guess it's the Infinite Stratos curse or something, where they make us think, "all right, this franchise is coming out on BD!", but then dump out the sequel DVD-only. Though I'm still waiting on a dual-language DVD version to even consider getting the first series.

Wait...didn't they say the BD of IS2 was just being delayed? Did they scrap it altogether?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Wait...didn't they say the BD of IS2 was just being delayed? Did they scrap it altogether?
That's certainly possible; I just hadn't seen statements from Sentai about it, so I assumed the release was just DVD-only, end of story.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Sohma_Curse wrote:
That's certainly possible; I just hadn't seen statements from Sentai about it, so I assumed the release was just DVD-only, end of story.

When the release date for IS2 DVD was announced, Sentai posted on twitter that the BD version would be released at a later date. Does anyone have any updates about this (or could possibly shed light on the possibility of Chuni2 making it to BD)?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
So much stuff, and yet not a single title I'm interested in.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
It is very normal for sentai filmworks to release a DVD then wait a year or more to release a blu-ray.

since most of the fanbase for infinite stratos is in japan, this was pretty much guaranteed to happen. I'm not sure why you thought a blu-ray was coming soon but I have not seen any information on that.

i'm still waiting for kyokai no kanata and there was an official press statement saying it would be released already over a year ago. just keep singing to yourself, "someday" over the rainbow...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
So the DVD of Chunbiyo 2 gets released before the DVD of season 1. Not that it matters, it's just odd though I understand why they have to do it that way.

Hey Zalis116, after getting K-On 2, the K-On movie and the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on BD, I'm not buying any other Kyoto animation show on DVD as I've learned there's no point to it for the new shows. Especially after rewatching the K-On season 1 DVD Bandai did after the season 2 BD... though it did take me awhile to realize Sentai wasn't allowed to do a K-On season 1 BD. That should have been a warning of things to come.

I want to see what Funimation can pull off with Free 2 but I can already see what they'll have to do; If there's going to be a BD, there will have to be a price point.

On the other hand, all of the KyoAni DVDs are really cheap. In every sense of the word.

Anyway, another month of savings for me.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
They did release the DVD of the first season - as sub-only, which I hope doesn't bode ill for a CE(or at least BD) of the second.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Also, a Kyoto Animation show on DVD is a waste of time and money.
It would be nice to get these shows on BD, but people in R1 somehow survived Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, Full Metal Panic Second Raid, Air, Kanon, Haruhi, and Lucky Star on DVD just fine. Or are you saying that all their shows are so universally lacking in story, music, voice acting, and characterization quality that pretty pictures are the only things that make them worthwhile?

No, I am not saying that Kyoto Animation shows are completely worthless if not presented on BD, but watching them on 1080 definitely enhance the viewing experience. And, by the way, most (if not all) of the shows you mention were produced before BD became the standard; I am actually cool with 2002-2007 anime not being on BD. But Kyoto Animation stuff since Hyouka is best on BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2