• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2007 - Mamiko Noto Focus Panel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I had a tough time keeping track of Noto's characters and catchphrases. She's done so much work! Any help would be much appreciated.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Was the translator joking around or was he really getting short with people towards the end?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Both, I think. The "can you say this line" stuff was getting really old.
W-General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
He shouldn't.

Because you should've seen what happened with the Seki panel that happened right afterwards. The translator with the cowboy hat invited us to launch right into voice requests, because voice requests is pretty much the best way to stir up the excitement of the panels.

That translators I think both of them were at AX. But the more well-rounded one is far less professional...he never bothered with taking notes at all and sometimes just abbreviated stuff. Also he doesn't like it when people ask stuff in Japanese because he would have to translate it twice, lazy. The one with the cowboy hat is much better, never got impatient with the fans.

By the way, Noto-san is so nice and so cute Smile Always so polite Smile
*treasures his picture with her* Cool
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
The translator with the cowboy hat invited us to launch right into voice requests, because voice requests is pretty much the best way to stir up the excitement of the panels.

That sounds like a smart way to do it, actually. There's nothing wrong with a few requests, but I think it's kind of demeaning to the actor to have his or her panel consist of nothing more than, "Can you do this voice for us?" A set period in which all the requests are handled at once would solve that problem.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Did anyone at the panel yell "Noto kawaiiyo Noto" (能登かわいいよ能登)?

If no one did then you fail as her fan. Rolling Eyes

jmays wrote:
There's nothing wrong with a few requests, but I think it's kind of demeaning to the actor to have his or her panel consist of nothing more than, "Can you do this voice for us?" A set period in which all the requests are handled at once would solve that problem.

Methinks the best way would be setting a upper limit, say, 3 requests of distinctively different characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kyouki-Kurenai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
really wished i could go, she's in my top 3 favorite VAs >.<

thank you ANN for posting this
W-General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat:
I thought about doing that, but I wasn't sure if that was an official recognized chant for her, or just an in-joke among fans created by the denizens of 2ch. It's not even listed on Japan Wikipedia article for her (you'll find where it came from if you google it...)

If it was Hocchan, I'd surely have done the 回って~かわいい~ routine or for Inoue Kikuko her 17-sai routine with them because they're semi-official...

Limiting to 3 is ok for seiyuu with comparatively fewer roles, but for someone like Seki Tomokazu, I suspect a small brawl will break out for the voice samples.

(Now that I think about it, I think the Noto & Seki panels had a lot more voice sample requests than SOS's panel...Aya-san only had to do Timotei and Cha-la Head Cha-la Anime hyper)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
Aya-san only had to do Timotei and Cha-la Head Cha-la Anime hyper)

Cha-la?
W-General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
W-General wrote:
Aya-san only had to do Timotei and Cha-la Head Cha-la Anime hyper)

Cha-la?

The Japanese Dragonball Z opening theme. Izumi Konata (as played by Hirano Aya) performed it as the ending theme to episode 5 of Lucky Star.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
jmays wrote:
I had a tough time keeping track of Noto's characters and catchphrases. She's done so much work! Any help would be much appreciated.

Yea, I can see you left some stuff out. I took some notes at that panel so let's compare. I'll post where my notes stands differently than yours, but no guarantees :3

Quote:
“How has it been doing different character styles lately?”
For [sola's] Matsuri, I wanted to portray a lot of sadness and loneliness in her voice. It was a different kind of challenge.”
This is the tail end of a long one about how it was for her to act Matsuri, which is different than her usual characters. So she answered that way. First she described Matsuri as someone who was alone for a long time, so she wanted to "portray a lot of sadness and loneliness in her voice."

Quote:
“Is it difficult to play such a tragic character as Ai?”
Folding her hands over her heart, in English: “I love her.” Japanese: “Playing Ai [from Jigoku Shoujo], who dies so tragically, I felt so much sadness, and my heart was so heavy that I had a difficult time portraying her. English again: "I love her."
It's not that she loves Ai (well, she probably does too), but "Ai" means "love" and she said "love" to distinguish the meaning in the name of the character as well as how Noto-san felt about the tragic circumstances for Ai. She said the character was a heavy one and tragic, but it is one that is based on love, so she wanted to bring that out as well.

Quote:
[you missed a question]
There was this very ... eager Marimite fan who asked if she was similar to Shimako, she said something like, "not similar but I feel there is a connection."

Quote:
“What if you were to choose someone else in the same series?”
“Sachiko-san!”

This is in reference to the series Marimite, natch.

Quote:
“What would you do if you had the power to read people's minds?”
Noto squints for a moment, then shakes her head and covers her ears. “I think reading other's thoughts would be a scary power. I'd be too afraid. I'd cover my ears and hide.”

The question would be better phrased as "What would you do if you had Yakumo's [School Rumble] power?"
anime#4114

Quote:
“Will there be a second season of (Anime no Shinkai?)? Have you heard anything?
“Looks like it went away. Too bad.”

This is in reference to the second season of Narue no Sekai, which was sort of promised but never went anywhere.
anime#2128

Quote:
“Which role left the deepest impact on you?”
“I can't really narrow it down to one favorite that remains with me, but Masane from Witchblade, having to portray a mother for the first time, left an impression on me. When you ask an actor, 'What's your favorite character?' it's like asking, 'Who's your favorite child.'” The crowd laughs hysterically. What, nobody's heard that one before? “You probably have an answer, but you wouldn't tell them.”

The jist of it is right, but the second part of the answer is just the translator injecting himself (he's pretty rude for a translator!) and it is not what Noto-san was saying. Basically "When you ask an actor, 'What's your favorite character?' it's like asking, 'Who's your favorite child.'” The crowd laughs hysterically. What, nobody's heard that one before? “You probably have an answer, but you wouldn't tell them.”" is all just the translator. By the way I asked this question >_>

Quote:
A line from Inuyasha:
“Wow, it's been a while…”

She does a line as Rin here, Goshujinsama? I'm not 100% certain. On Saturday someone asked her to do the same thing and she went a little longer about waiting.

Quote:
Experience with writing scripts:
“Ahhh! I never expected to write scripts for Tokugan, but having never doing something like that, it was a good experience. I'm surprised how much you all know!”

Basically the background information here is that recently she was approached by the people producing Touka Gettan to pen an episode where her character from Yamibou crosses over into Touka Gettan. The question asks her about this experience. It's super rare that a voice actor gets to write this kind of thing!

Quote:
”Senpai seiyuu” that she admires:
“Just one? I'm going to have to think about that! Ah, I know! Seki-san! And Yumi Touma. There are so many more. I respect all of my seniors.”

You miss Satsuki Yukino. person#278

Quote:
Dream character:
“I'd like to play a character with a variety of emotions.”

This is sort of different from my notes, but I think the question also has an aspect like "what are some of the characters you would like to act in the future"? The answer does include what you've written there but also that she likes more obnoxious, lively characters with variety and ups and downs of emotion.

Quote:
Another fan: "I'll translate this myself" The translator lounges with his hands behind his head. Noto urges him to sit up. The question is about a character that professes her love to Noto's character often.
“I love the character, and I highly respect the creator.”
Translator: “I was going to make you translate her reply, too. You're good. You should do this for a living.”
“I do. I'm a translator.”
"We could use many more staff in the green room. Sign up."

Hm. The background info pertaining to this question is a little complicated, but it's sort of a running otaku gag about Noto-san, Ayako Kawasumi, and Nabachi. Long story short Noto-san and Nabachi have been speculated to "like" each other (to put it simply) and this question just pokes at it a bit. I'm not sure how you're suppose to rewrite it, but I don't know if people didn't know what the question was getting at would get it at all.

And lastly:
Quote:
Translator: “Let's please thank her for coming. Remember, she has a signing at 4:30 today! Run!”

Not sure if this was left out on purpose, but the translator checked with Noto-san's...producer or whatever, who then said 3:30. LOL @ otakon scheduling this year.

Quote:
Did anyone at the panel yell "Noto kawaiiyo Noto" (能登かわいいよ能登)?
If she wanted to go to Akiba she could, y'know :p
Yuki Asuka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha! I guess you guys were having fun with Mamiko-san at that time. Good for you! ^ ^ As for the phrase "Noto kawaiiyo Noto", I don't think I can remember it very well and I'm not her fan even though I admire her. Hey, I'll greet Nogawa Sakura-chan with her famous words, "Yo Hou" when she visits Malaysia one day, though. I'm looking forward to meeting her when I have a chance.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Yea, I can see you left some stuff out. I took some notes at that panel so let's compare. I'll post where my notes stands differently than yours, but no guarantees :3

Nice. I'll update and credit as soon as I can.
Pocky_aDDict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:

Quote:
“What would you do if you had the power to read people's minds?”
Noto squints for a moment, then shakes her head and covers her ears. “I think reading other's thoughts would be a scary power. I'd be too afraid. I'd cover my ears and hide.”

The question would be better phrased as "What would you do if you had Yakumo's [School Rumble] power?"
anime#4114

You know, it's funny. When read this part, I was thinking about Nodoka's pactio card power of being able to read the deep thoughts/feeling of a person (as long as she knows their name). Yakumon had a catch too, as she can only read the thoughts of people that had specific feelings for her. Either way, it's cool to see her voice 2 characters with similar abilities.

Quote:
“Can you say as Ai from Jigoku Shoujo: 'Ippen, shitemiru?'” She does, and the crowd applauds.

I think the phrase is "Ippen, shindemiru", rather. Makes more sense anyway.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
Pocky_aDDict wrote:
I think the phrase is "Ippen, shindemiru", rather. Makes more sense anyway.

Correct.

I think the mind-reading question only referenced Yakumo, but it might as well be in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1