• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GATE (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote

GATE (TV)

Genres: Adventure, Fantasy
Themes: Dragon, Elves, Demigods, Parallel Dimension,

Plot Summary: A gate appears in Tokyo's Ginza district sometime in the 21st century. From the gate pours out monsters, knights from middle-age Europe, and other fantasy-like beings, and they kill many of the citizens of Tokyo. This event is known as the Ginza Incident. The government sends a small group of soldiers from the Japanese Self-Defense Forces to the alternate world beyond the gate. Led by otaku soldier Yōji, they find that the villages in the world are being attacked by a dragon. An elf girl who is a survivor from the dragon's rampage joins the group in their travels across the dangerous new world.
----------------------------------

Also known as "Gate: The Self-Defense Forces Fight Like This in Another Land". The series is based off of the LN (although there's also a manga version). It got an anime TV adaptation announcement last year and I have to say that it's quite pleasing to hear the news.

The series has some mature themes in it (although I think the TV version might omit some). However, the animation quality in some of the promos and character designs looks great so far. Takahiko Kyogoku is also directing with his previous works including both Love Live School Project Seasons; the second season which I found very enjoyable.

[EDIT: Thread title altered to reflect official English series name. - Key]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:54 am Reply with quote
The description makes me think of Outbreak Company.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yeah was gonna say, is this the same author or something or is the LN industry as bankrupt in originality as the anime industry. It even has the elf girl and everything. And a loli too, sigh...
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
If this stays relatively true to the source material then recommending this show to people who like Outbreak Company would be a lot like recommending Higurashi to people who like Nisekoi. All shows with animal girls and otaku are not the same.
Top Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping one key element will be a good job of depicting a professional, modern military (JSDF). That alone would make it a unique anime Wink

I am very much looking forward to this Summer anime, and I am hoping that its does well enough to get a second season.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Hope someone picks this up soon. Hoping for a Crunchyroll stream, and betting on a Sentai release.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

The OP theme song imo works well and is catchy.

It has a solid mixture of real life and modern fantasy themes in it. Really loved the way the fantasy parts are adapted though. Very thrilling when you see them come in from almost nowhere and people running for their lives.

I think the series is going to tone down a bit on the violence although still captured the thrill of it in this episode. The ED theme song imo is catchy. It gives off a dancing-like vibe to the show. Confirmed for 2 cour at the anime panel btw so expect slow pacing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well that was definitely interesting... In a good way of course! The setting seems right up my alley and the mixture of reality and fantasy has worked well so far.

By right i'm glad the JDSF ripped through the invaders like a hot knife through butter, especially with the technology at our/ their disposal. I was joking moments before that the Americans would have stuck their noses in by now, and no sooner had I said so, they did.

The only negative thing I can draw from the episode was the protagonist, Itami. There's a complete and utter overdose of Otakuism with him, especially during the invasion. Civilians dying left, right and centre, and he's more concerned about a doujinshi event getting cancelled.

Other than that, I rather enjoyed that and look forward to next week.
Badge304

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Bear in mind that all the time Itami was iritated and complained to no one but to himself that the event was cancelled, he was in fact saving thousands of people by leading them to the safety of the Imperial Palace's walls. Protecting others was his precedence and main concern that day, demonstrated by his actions. His otaku tendencies didn't over rule his training or nature.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Didn't quite know what to expect going it, I really enjoyed it. Seems like it good be good popcorn entertainment for the summer.

As an aside, is it just me being really thick or did the show neglect to mention Itami was in the military until he was being commended for his service?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
^^ Thinking about such mundane concerns is also a way of coping with a dangerous or insane situation. So I kinda liked that.

But I couldn't help but think while watching this that people see an interesting concept that doesn't crash and burn (or sometimes even if it does) and think, "That was neat - but this is what I'd do with that premise," and voila, a new LN or series is born. Repeat until every possible iteration of the setting has been done. Smile

@Buzz: They hid it, for no apparent reason. He started to mention it to the police, but got cut off.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Hum, wasn't that bad all things considered. Not crazy about how much they pushed the fact that he was an otaku and the little girl scene were so heavy handed it worry me about the quality of the writing. But aside from that it moved at a good pace, the basic setup is interesting, although I'm guessing it'll quickly dissolves since having the army easily win every single battle would get boring fast.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yeah was gonna say, is this the same author or something or is the LN industry as bankrupt in originality as the anime industry. It even has the elf girl and everything. And a loli too, sigh...

Gate actually precedes Outbreak Company by 5 years. It's from 2006.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
Well that was an enjoyable first episode.
I wonder since this adaption is much lighter and softer, will the anime leave out the messy jingoism and politics.
I don't mind if the anime leaves out the gore if it means they won't show the disturbing parts.
But one thing i do have to complain is the anime kept reminding everyone Itami is an Otaku.
Ok, we get it. You don't have repeat it. Just remember he's a soldier, not a fool.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
Close to Outbreak Company.
There are differences, of course.
The MC is employed, fantasy world came to them..
He's actually pretty brave too!
So far, not bad at all.
Have to see more before final decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21