• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
Girl needs to raise her expectations, spoiler[well it looked like it was Tsuruya who ruined it in the end]. Yuki is kind of too adorable.

Apparently the spoiler[John Smith incident happened in this version too]. Well it was in the timeline shown in the movie, spoiler[but why did Kyon do it]?

This show kind of reminds me of a cute little anime called Acchi Kocchi.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
@Shikiari:

The spoiler[John SMith] thing was in the manga as well, but it wasn't in the chapter proper; it was colored pages at the start of the volume(and Haruhi spoiler[was demanding to know his name, rather than him offering it]).
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Oh wow, I thought spoiler[Asakura was about to open a can of whoop ass this episode lol]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute... if this takes place in the Disappearance Re-written universe as a "What-if" story... is Asakura still psycho? She stabs Melancholy!Kyon in the movie. Would she stab someone for seemingly threatening Yuki here?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Wait a minute... if this takes place in the Disappearance Re-written universe as a "What-if" story... is Asakura still psycho? She stabs Melancholy!Kyon in the movie. Would she stab someone for seemingly threatening Yuki here?

Well Asakura here does seem to be incredibly protective of Yuki, and I think that bit of a yandere side fits into her character. But I think the reason Asakura spoiler[stabbed Kyon] in the movie was because she was literally a pspoiler[art of Yuki willing to go through drastic means for what she wanted, represented] by Asakura. She also appeared at the scspoiler[ene immediately after the change, she was a part that did not want things to go back]. If this show is literally a part of the world Yuki wished for, I could see the chance that she might break out of the illusion to save her.

Episode 6

Awesome that we had some showing that despite appearances there are still similarities of this Yuki to the old one. She can spoiler[solve math problems like a machine], and her spoiler[explanations are really hard to follow], sounding similar to when Yuki spoiler[did "magic".] There was also Yuki getting so into something that she can't hear people.

The episode was heavy in the topic of misunderstandings, and there seemed to be quite a bit of spoiler[fake out in characters not taking it that seriously]. Also loved the bit where Kyon said the spoiler[recollection shared no connection to real events or people, and that it was just that he touched Mikuru's hand].
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

If nothing much came of this episode, it was all about Asakura in general and her extremely (in)convenient timing. She's definitely my favourite character in this world, which saddens me with her getting spoiler[chopped off early in 'Melancholy'] (though she does play a different role in that.)

Still really looking forward to spoiler[Sasaki's intervention later on, though she doesn't appear until the end of Epilogue 39 in the manga.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Haha, spoiler[Asakura and her delusions regarding Yuki/Kyon's relationship. I wonder if they will kiss this season though....]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
Mmm...I have certainly been out of the anime game for a couple of months. I guess it took a Haruhi spin-off to wake me up again.

So far, this series is absolutely adorable at best, and a bit worrying at worst, which seems like a relatively positive range overall. I suppose that it is fundamentally less interesting than Haruhi proper, considering that it is basically a moe slice-of-life affair that doesn't do much that hasn't already been done many a time; that's quite fine, however, since it is built conceptually on a novelty that already sits comfortably atop its well-established tropes: Yuki Nagato as an ordinary girl (as anime goes).

Regarding the titular character, I do rather enjoy that she isn't a straight copy of herself in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya--not because there was anything wrong with that rendition in the context of that film, but because the overwhelming shyness and reserved nature of said rendition probably could not have carried the weight of even a one-cour series. Here, she is executed with a bit more motivation, personality, and general life. As a character, I find her to be nothing less than charming. I know, I know: I have obviously been reeled in by the moe and the kawaii. Sue me, for I am enjoying myself.
...I suppose it also worth noting that I am definitely in the camp who lamented Asakura's early death in Haruhi proper, and I am happy to see her finally making her triumphant début as a proper (main!) character, thankfully exhibiting much less of the overdone class rep archetype while still being intelligent enough to fit the part.

Most of the other characters are pretty much consistent with their earlier counterparts, but there are some key differences that cause me to worry a little about the survivability of the show's premise. First, there's Kyon, whose sarcasm, negative demeanour, and tendency to narrate events into the ground have been regulated quite a bit here, perhaps, unfortunately, at the cost of his uniqueness. Having known Kyon through two broadcasts of Haruhi proper, followed by an outstanding feature film, I've come to expect a certain thoughtfulness from him in comparison to most other adolescent male leads in anime that, quite simply, doesn't really come into play here. Perhaps it is merely because he is no longer narrating, but his obliviousness is jarring, and his prominent good nature seems disingenuous (seriously, I have trouble feeling anything but scepticism whenever he smiles at Nagato). He's conventionally likeable, I suppose.

Then, there's Haruhi. Of course. Haruhi Suzumiya, the chaser of all things extraordinary. I like her better here than I do in the original work because Puyo decided to balance all of that ruthless machination and commanding presence with some actual empathy while somehow keeping her true to...well, herself. Haruhi. The thing is, she is still quite a force to be reckoned with, showing much of the same propensity for taking over the spotlight as she does holding on to it in series proper. This is not alarming in that it does make some natural sense, considering how shy and reserved Nagato is, but it also skirts dangerously close to pulling the rug out from Nagato entirely. She did a good job in the beginning, conceiving of the Christmas Party and all, but with Haruhi's entry, the primary mover has become increasingly nebulous, which seems, on the surface, a cause for concern when this is supposed to be her story. Perhaps this is intentional on Puyo's part. Hard to tell, yet.

I can't say that these worries are stifling my ability to enjoy it, though, so perhaps I am blowing it out of proportion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I actually have not thought this often, but Mikuru was adorable in this episode. Her "Kawaii desu" oozed moe of a masterful level. and honestly I really enjoy Mikuru's adorable moments that are not about her actually being embarrassed. Mikuru supporting Yuki is extra points too.

It was actually cute all around. I thought that Koizumi's luck and happiness at being around Haruhi so much was in general cute. Haruhi's search for supernatural, and that she has that bit of empathy that means not everything is just about her.

Plus for some reason seeing Kyon and Asakura is also plenty fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Instantly recognised spoiler[Arakawa as the van driver before he introduced himself later], a great reference tospoiler[ the trip they took] in Melancholy, the spoiler[Lone Island Syndrome]. spoiler[Mori] appeared to be there too, despite that spoiler[she was a teacher already].

Yuki should consider getting contacts, after all Kyon does not have a glasses fetish.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

I was smiling this whole episode because of the cute chemistry between the main casts and humor at night; not mention how pretty it was to look at the stars!

Then...the ending happened. D:
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Another cutesy episode where not a lot really happens, apart from Koizumi's obsession with taking baths! The stargazing looked nice though.
But alas, all the main characters are still completely mad in their own ways which still makes it highly enjoyable to watch.

Yeah, the ending does seem spoiler[terrible] but it sets up another chance to dabble with the spoiler['Melancholy' world again, which will make 'normal' Nagato fans happy.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Well it was a cute episode.

Interesting, the next episode's title is the same as the last chronological episode of the regular series before the movie. I wonder what this could mean with this series and the event at the end of this episode. As a note I kind took at TV Tropes, and accidentally saw the tropes coming, so I spoilered myself a bit for what is happening.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 1 English Dub

Well if any current English dub deserves a review, it should be this one. It was simply great! All the VA's reprised their roles... so far (Koizumi doesn't turn up until Ep3/4 so there's still hope for JYB).

Crispin was fantastic as Kyon, as was Bridget Hoffman as Asakura. Actually the weakest performance i found, from the cast, was Michelle Ruff as Yuki, but that could be because I'm so used to Yuki talking in a monotone fashion devoid of emotions.

If anything the English Dub should increase the popularity of the show for those that haven't bothered with it. At the very least, I'm pretty darn excited for Haruhi's appearance once more.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Michelle Ruff did Disappearance!Yuki better in the movie. Something about her performance here feels... artificial. Maybe she rushed this episode and will be better next time. Crispin Freeman is still awesome though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5