• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Musume (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote

Monster Musume (Everyday Life with Monster Girls) (TV)

Genres: Comedy, Ecchi, Harem, School, Romance
Themes: Human-Nonhuman relationships, monsters

Plot Summary: Monsters—they're real, and they want to date us! Three years ago, the world learned that harpies, centaurs, catgirls, and all manners of fabulous creatures are not merely fiction; they are flesh and blood—not to mention scale, feather, horn, and fang. Thanks to the "Cultural Exchange Between Species Act," these once-mythical creatures have assimilated into society, or at least, they're trying.

When a hapless human named Kurusu Kimihito is inducted as a "volunteer" into the government exchange program, his world is turned upside down. A snake-like lamia named Miia comes to live with him, and it is Kurusu's job to take care of her and make sure she integrates into his everyday life. Unfortunately for Kurusu, Miia is undeniably sexy, and the law against interspecies breeding is very strict. Even worse, when a ravishing centaur girl and a flirtatious harpy move in, what's a full-blooded young man with raging hormones to do?!

(Source: Seven Seas Entertainment)

Preview: https://youtu.be/G-IfYF_oesk
----------------------------------

I knew this would get an anime adaptation someday. Well, it did and it's about a guy's life with monster girls. The preview released recently has good animation production values and I'm hoping it won't be censored. I think the majority of the voice cast fits so far (somewhat questionable though imo for the harpie)

This is going go be a fun ride if it adapts the series faithfully. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
I am..... familiar with...... this series. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I don't need to go into detail, but yeah I am down for an ecchi monster girls anime.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I've heard of the manga, and I usually hate ecchi. Eh. I'll give it a shot though. Monster Girls have always been my guilty pleasure, along with stalkers, yanderes, and otaku girls (Kuroneko is best girl).
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! This is WAY too kinky for my tastes. This totally caught my interest.

So wrong, yet... so right!
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Got what I expected!

The censorship only seems to be visible for the parts in the baths so it's not nearly as bad as spoiler[To Love Ru Darkness.] Overall, fun episode. I like Mila already because of her childish and unpredictable personality. And yeah, expect the MC to show a lot of his O.O eyes.

He only shows his normal eyes when he is serious.

Expecting more monster girls to show up soon but this was pretty fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The opening alone was a turnoff. I hate the whole, girls all pursue one guy and accidentally hurt him a lot to the point that he runs away from them. It's really dumb. In my opinion, if you're going to make this a harem anyway, the best way to do it is the way Steins;Gate, Clannad, and even Tenchi Muyo did it. Make the harem attractive, likable, and something the viewer wants to be around.

Sigh... I'll have to actually watch the show before jumping to conclusions though. Off I go! Episode one ahoy!
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

It's exactly like the manga.... In animated form!!!

That's probably the ultimate praise I can give it right now, being a fan of the paperback version. The fan service was great, and I didn't think the small censorship devalued the scenes one bit, though we shall have to see later on when there are more monster girls on screen.

If I remember right, Ms. Smith appearances do get less the further on we get, because she isn't half an inconvenience with the interrupting all the time.

Also looking forward to seeing MON introduced into the fray in the coming episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The reviews on the preview guide are surprisingly positive for an ecchi harem series. Although whether that stays before we get the rest of the girls is left to see. Well it is the case that it knows what it wants to be, there is an audience, and it could just work.

I liked this, talking honestly about my own tastes, I have liked demon girls, and I actually fairly often look up monster girl stuff. Used to be really weird, but it can be kind of fun looking up things with these girls that have aspects that people see as "monstrous". This is something I will watch.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
I read the first few episodes of the manga long ago so I checked in to look at this. It is pretty good but I wish they would have come up with some line of humor other than Kurusu being crushed to death. Oh, they did .. he got slammed in the face, drowned, dislocated shoulder, and punched through a wall that didn't even slow his ballistic trajectory. All because she "loves him" so much.

Of course let's set aisde that he is continually harassed by the house guest that he never signed up for and continually threatened with arrest and imprisonment. He had to remodel his house and feed her and I never saw any mention of compensation for any of it. Whatever life he had before she arrived is pretty much gone now. By law he has to be with her all the time.

Agent "Smith's" take on it: "he really has it rough." Ya think.

And I thought Love Hina was bad this way.

However the very quirky fan service was good enough to keep me watching for another episode or two. It isn't often you see a full-on orgasm from one of the females in this kind of show. Perhaps it will settle down some and not try so hard for its gags.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Of course let's set aisde that he is continually harassed by the house guest that he never signed up for and continually threatened with arrest and imprisonment. He had to remodel his house and feed her and I never saw any mention of compensation for any of it. Whatever life he had before she arrived is pretty much gone now. By law he has to be with her all the time.

Agent "Smith's" take on it: "he really has it rough." Ya think.

See, you're looking at it from a glass half-empty point of view. Kurusu doesn't work, has had free upgrades to his house and unfortunately has to "look" after a variety of hot monster girls that are completely and utterly smitten for him.

If that's rough, then he's welcome to swap jobs at any time Laughing
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
So is there a direct law against interspecies mating? I ask because every mention I recall from the first episode puts it in terms of harm as if the law only specifies harm and it was simply ruled that sex with monster girls is inherently harmful to them. Even when the interspecies regulatory squad blows open the wall in the love hotel, they're sure to explain that the reports were of a lamia being dragged (implying against their will, meaning harm) in to the hotel. It all strikes me as sort of odd. Especially since if you're dehumanizing (demonsterizing?) the ladymonsters by treating them as damaged property when their hymen is broken, you'd think the policy would be "You broke her, you bought her" as is classic in both stores and sexism rather than "You broke her, she's being shipped back to the manufacturer". I realize that sex up sexy lamia -> go to jail (do not collect 20000 yen) has way more dramatic potential than sex up sexy lamia -> continue to sex up sexy lamia, but the logic here is interesting. I'd like to believe that this is all intentional and there's going to actual plot points relating to this, but considering that the show seems to mostly focus on silly & sexy, I feel like I've either missed something or this is just a (somewhat insulting) oddity of the show.

Also, is it too much to hope that, this time around, the character arcs of the harem members involves learning not to abuse the crap out of our hapless protagonist?

Shikiari wrote:

This makes me wonder, from a resisting-base-urges-as-a-fundamental-part-of-your-job perspective, how not screwing my charges would compare to my current burden of not punching them.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
So is there a direct law against interspecies mating? I ask because every mention I recall from the first episode puts it in terms of harm as if the law only specifies harm and it was simply ruled that sex with monster girls is inherently harmful to them. Even when the interspecies regulatory squad blows open the wall in the love hotel, they're sure to explain that the reports were of a lamia being dragged (implying against their will, meaning harm) in to the hotel. It all strikes me as sort of odd. Especially since if you're dehumanizing (demonsterizing?) the ladymonsters by treating them as damaged property when their hymen is broken, you'd think the policy would be "You broke her, you bought her" as is classic in both stores and sexism rather than "You broke her, she's being shipped back to the manufacturer". I realize that sex up sexy lamia -> go to jail (do not collect 20000 yen) has way more dramatic potential than sex up sexy lamia -> continue to sex up sexy lamia, but the logic here is interesting. I'd like to believe that this is all intentional and there's going to actual plot points relating to this, but considering that the show seems to mostly focus on silly & sexy, I feel like I've either missed something or this is just a (somewhat insulting) oddity of the show.

They also mention something to the effect that, as the representative of their species, deflowering them amounts to shaming that species or something.

I don't really get it either. I mean, if you want to foster positive relations between species, inter species romances would greatly contribute to that.

But fyi, there are short monster girl comics by the same author where such laws don't exist if you know what I mean Wink
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Ep 1:
Hooray, a fun ecchi anime that doesn't give me the hives!!
Other than Miia, I'm looking forward to Suu and Rachnera's debut.
Vaisaga wrote:
HelloBucket wrote:
So is there a direct law against interspecies mating? I ask because every mention I recall from the first episode puts it in terms of harm as if the law only specifies harm and it was simply ruled that sex with monster girls is inherently harmful to them.

I don't really get it either. I mean, if you want to foster positive relations between species, inter species romances would greatly contribute to that.

But fyi, there are short monster girl comics by the same author where such laws don't exist if you know what I mean Wink

The whole "You can't bang monster girls/women because politics" really seems like a paper thin excuse for the characters to avoid engaging in penetration (there are obviously other ways to have sex without the missionary position but I digress) for the sake of comedy and sexual tension.
The fear of the women forced into brothels or taken advantage of is legit but to flat out proclaim all sex (even romantic/consensual) is off-limits really comes across as tyrannically prudish.

Then again, it could have opened up the possibility of different mating habits of monster culture. Maybe even delve into whether or not polygamy/polyamory was a thing or if there were any asexually reproduced monsters like sponge girl or whatever.

Oh, and I read those doujins. I want an OVA of those.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Male lead isn't cute enough for me and the girls' "assets" are just nope. MONSTER OR NOT, THOSE ARE RIDICULOUSLY HUGE.

Nope, I'm out. Anime hyper I will give the episodes to my friend though, who just about worships the manga. He was thrilled when I told him about the adaptation. lol
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:

Also, is it too much to hope that, this time around, the character arcs of the harem members involves learning not to abuse the crap out of our hapless protagonist?

Shikiari wrote:

This makes me wonder, from a resisting-base-urges-as-a-fundamental-part-of-your-job perspective, how not screwing my charges would compare to my current burden of not punching them.

Well, there's also the fact that the girls are there on an exchange program. And in the real world host families can't bone their guest.

And it's also a matter of political tensions; seriously, interracial relationships have ALWAYS ruffled people's feathers throughout history so full-blown inter-species marriage isn't very different. And if humans and extraspecies didn't have that sort of problem with each other then the latter wouldn't have had to hide themselves en masse in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10