• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Heroic Legend of Arslan (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And why does she not like Arslan, I wonder?

I've had the feeling that Arslan is spoiler[not his father's son, but the son of the guy his mother was originally to marry. That would explain both why his father seems to hate him, and his mother doesn't want to look at him.]

I put that in tags on the off chance that my subconscious remembers something from the OVAs that I can't dredge up from the blank void they occupy in my brain.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Blood- wrote:
And why does she not like Arslan, I wonder?

I've had the feeling that Arslan is spoiler[not his father's son, but the son of the guy his mother was originally to marry. That would explain both why his father seems to hate him, and his mother doesn't want to look at him.]

even if that's true, Arslan spoiler[ still has the right to the empire. Because that guy is the current king's brother].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
even if that's true, Arslan spoiler[ still has the right to the empire. Because that guy is the current king's brother].

No, there were a spoiler[few other guys in the mix, the Grand Viziar of Badahkshan, who was first up, then killed himself when his Prince Keyumars stole her away; then Osroes invaded and Keyumars cowardly leapt to his death, so Osroes took her; then he lost her, his kingdom, and probably his life to his little brother Andragoras. Depending on how long all this took, who knows who Arslan's father might be.] Probably only Tahamenay knows.

That being the case, who's going to spoiler[dispute his right to the throne if he comes back and claims it?] Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
Yes, the "not his father's son" thing occurred to me even back near the beginning when it was obvious neither parent seemed especially warm towards him. Arslan certainly doesn't look like his "dad." I don't remember, but I don't think we got a look at what Prince Oreos (heh) looked like - mayhap he had white hair?

Queen Tahamenay? Pffft, Queen Trampenay, sez I!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't think we got a look at what Prince Oreos (heh) looked like - mayhap he had white hair?

Black hair with a white stripe in the middle?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Prince Oreos? Smile If you meant King Osroes, then yeah, we got a shadowy glimpse and he was bald or shaved, but his goatee was dark like his brother's.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
this is anime, hair color doesn't matter. In rl, black hair in the dominant gene over other hair color. White hair is a recessive gene.
IF we keep having mix babies we won't have many whited hair people after 400 to 500 years because nature says white hair is not important to keep.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Well it was interesting, they have allies and they are strong.

This might be a not popular opinion, but I really have not been feeling this series. Despite what you could say that things have happened, it has kind of felt like nothing has happened, like some sort of extended setting up, although this might really be the series. A series that comes to mind that I compare this to is Yona of the Dawn, which you could say has what I complained about above, but it actually felt like an interesting journey as we saw Yona grow with interesting characters. But I really don't feel anything for Arslan, and the way they have shown his allies has been kind of boring. And in terms of strategy I point to Lord Marksman and Vanadis.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
Well I loved Yona of the Dawn and I am loving this as well. Admittedly I felt Yona was a more interesting protagonist than Arslan (at least so far)but I am loving every one else in Arslan's group. And while Yona did have a group herself I would say the characters in Arslan's group feel different from Yona's group.

There is also a lot more strategy & tactics in Arslan than Yona.

Not that there isn't any overlap but you can find similar storylines and characters in a number of stories. But I don't feel I am watching the same thing again.

One thing I appreciate that while I don't like Farangis character design the camera has not loomed on her in inappropriate ways (at least so far)
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Why is Falangies so awesome?! Good episode overall and it's nice to see her join Arslan's group. A highlight of the episode would be Daryun vs. Khlaran.

There's also some buildup related to Silvermask as well. Pretty well done in terms of content and adaptation. I love how they added a sort of insert song at the end there as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least we know Silver Mask's agenda now. So I have to assume that Kharlan turned "traitor" because SM convinced him that Arslan's dad was a usurper.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
So what is the normal order of succession - son or brother? If son, then Hermes is right. And if son, what did brother do to claim the throne instead? Does being brother of the dead King plus marriage to the current Queen trump son?

I really liked the eulogy scene. While it might've been nice to hear what it consisted of, I was glad they didn't make it as if she were the singer, though I wouldn't have minded a sung eulogy had she sung it a capella. (yes, I'm still bugged about the flute in Gieve's performance. Wink )
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So what is the normal order of succession - son or brother? If son, then Hermes is right. And if son, what did brother do to claim the throne instead? Does being brother of the dead King plus marriage to the current Queen trump son?

In normal succession, I'm pretty sure son trumps brother - that's why the Lusitanian king's younger brother is very unamused by the idea of his older brother having a kid with Tahameny. I have no familiarity with the source material, but my guess right now is that Hermes' existence was hidden somehow (to protect him from his uncle?), so in the absence of a son Andragoras become king.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I really liked the eulogy scene. While it might've been nice to hear what it consisted of, I was glad they didn't make it as if she were the singer, though I wouldn't have minded a sung eulogy had she sung it a capella. (yes, I'm still bugged about the flute in Gieve's performance. Wink )

To be honest, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to hear her sing the song. I mean, she is voiced by Maaya Sakamoto. It seems like a waste not to have her sing. (I agree on the a cappella note, though.)
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

That was good. I liked how it made the reunion between Arslan and Etoile to be slightly comical yet also quite tense. This is especially after he found out that his friends died. Reality just sucks. I think the book he gave to Arslan might be handy later though.

It was also exciting to see Silvermask again in action against Daryun. I think this episode establishes a rivalry of hate between the two especially since Daryun learned the person he killed. Looking forward to more!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
So who was that guy who got kicked into the fire? I mean, the priest dude can openly murder a soldier on his own side with no apparent repercussions, so he must be pretty powerful, politically. So who is it that's going to go up to him, after the fire has already started, to ask questions about it? He'd have to be fairly significant himself, or else there's a culture that allows talking to religious leaders. But then, if he's significant, chucking him into a fire would be pretty difficult, while a culture that allows such discussions would frown pretty heavily on murder of subordinates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13