• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! [READ THE 1st POST]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45--
Please allow me to state my understanding.....

It is my understanding that the consensus is that that users asking for recommendations has become too odious over time and that therefore* the only thing that Tony K. allows is a request for information regarding one (And only one!) anime provided that the user posts all information that said user already knows about it.

*Hmmm, I seem to have contradicted myself! What I wrote earlier concerned lists in general and does not concern recommendation threads since they are, in fact, prohibited.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
So I can't make a list of fantasy/action/romance related anime for Yamstarch. That is pretty much what I figured.

Tony K.'s reference to "One show" is intended to deal with the related problem of "is this any good?". Since that is what reviews and series threads provide I'm not sure why even one is allowed.

What Yamstarch wants is "what is like these other shows I like?". Since I have never had to ask that question I'm not sure what to tell him. I gather there are instructions on how to find out for your self but I don't need them for myself.

I try to get an idea about what every show coming out is about and sample anything that looks interesting. However I can see that someone new to anime or coming back after a hiatus could be over whelmed.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
^
That's what the genre search engine is for.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
That is probably what yamstarch needs, but I wasn't aware of it and no one else responded. Hidden resources are not real useful.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
[...] Hidden resources are not real useful.
Read this (under "ANN Resources").
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Now wait a minute. That is the first post, first page of this thread. It is eight years old. You are telling me that all the useful information, the official answers are hidden at the beginning of the thread?? Boy is that counter intuitive.

Are there other threads where all the good stuff is up front? Is this a common practice? Do we have a heads up to look in such locations? I never looked at the beginning of a long thread except the introductions one. I always assumed it was completely out of date information. Embarassed Embarassed
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Now wait a minute. That is the first post, first page of this thread. It is eight years old. You are telling me that all the useful information, the official answers are hidden at the beginning of the thread?? Boy is that counter intuitive.

[...]

From the top of the OP:
Quote:
[EDIT: This is a complete rewrite of the original post, primarily courtesy of Spastic Minnow, effective 7/25/11. It updates and summarizes information originally only available later in the thread - in the effort to consolidate information important to newcomers - and contains only links known to be active. - Key]
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you were around when the edit was made..... Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
And it is hidden in the first post. As I explained, this is a place it never occurred to me to go. Even if they posted something in 2011 when they did the revision, this is a thread I usually ignore. I only read it when I'm bored because nothing else is going on in the forums. I don't ask for or use recommendations myself.

Do you read every post in every thread?
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
My bad for opening up a can of worms. Thanks for the info. though thus far.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
No problem, this was informative. At least you now know where to go for a genre search.
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Cyberpunk would make a cool tag.

Ergo Proxy, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Galaxy Express, Appleseed, and manga like BIomega, Gepetto, and those mentioned all fall intothat category, and that's just from what I've seen and read.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
^
If you are looking for more the encyclopedia does have a "cyberpunk" theme with 53 entries.

I have not seen most of them because that is not something that I am very interested in, though I do like all of the Ghost in the Shell incarnations that I have tried.
Those that I have seen are already on your list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
^
If you are looking for more the encyclopedia does have a "cyberpunk" theme with 53 entries.

I have not seen most of them because that is not something that I am very interested in, though I do like all of the Ghost in the Shell incarnations that I have tried.
Those that I have seen are already on your list.

Does that also include the manga I've listed?
Touma

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Brook-Gomamon wrote:
Does that also include the manga I've listed?

If you are asking about the encyclopedia, Biomega is not tagged as cyberpunk and Gepetto is not in the encyclopedia.
You can add themes and manga to the encyclopedia.

If you want to talk more about cyberpunk manga we can do that in the manga forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Last night I was listening to the ED of Your Lie in April when I was suddenly struck by the realization that that there is no recommendation thread for music-genre anime. Then I did a search and discovered that that there is a theme of music (with 125 entries). So I'd like people's thoughts/opinions: Is there sufficient justification for a music-genre recommendation thread? (Or am I simply full of it?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17