• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Plastic Memories

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
And remember that Eru wasn't even part of the family; IIRC, she was just a neighbor. Hence it's entirely plausible that Eru was never told about Olivia's fate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
JekoJeko wrote:

As for them being super-powered, it makes sense that they have inhibitors on their capabilities, as we'd want to make androids as helpful to us without being harmful - thus, they have super-strength that they can't normally use, and the lack of restraint on that once they've deteriorated is a further nod to prior uses of robots as the monster in 'overcoming the monster' stories and similar archetypes.

Giftias are more like pets, they're companions, so I think all that strength is unnecessary. Not a big deal for me anyway, it plays more of a thematic role like you pointed out.

Good on tsukasa for being one of the few mc's to confess but is he actually in love with Isla? Does he even know anything about Isla? I tire of romances like this in anime where the girls feel more like pets than they are people, and like I said earlier this show could have been in a high school and not been much different. He's in love with an android and yet I don't fell like he is, I can't feel uncomfortable or sad about the fact that he had the misfortune/fortune (however you cho0se to look at it) of falling in love with something inhuman.

Decent episode overall, certainly better than the last.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep, I believe you meant to say "Episode 9" instead of "Episode 10"! You nearly gave me a heart attack, hehe
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
That last scene got me to sit up and pay attention. I just thought it was terrible how she started venting her own insecurities to the guy. The same guy who she just realized is in love with his soon to be decommissioned partner mind you. Why would you do that? If anything that's immature and irresponsible! And it's only after her dumb rant did she come to the conclusion that he isn't like her, I mean she could have sat down and given it some more thought and waited till she cooled down. It's nothing like Hatoko's amazing rant that resulted from the poor girl finally breaking down.

Then she just says sorry and pledges to help our hero Rolling Eyes
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
For someone who's been waffling between the "play it straight" and the "subvert it to hell" tsundere, I quite appreciated Michiru in this episode. She feels like she has the strongest and most well-rounded characterization so far, and her worries that Tsukasa might have turned out like her are grounded, but dealt with maturely. And I have to say, it's nice to see (female) characters vent their frustrations in a way that doesn't involve harming or belittling other people, but also doesn't downplay their emotions. ^^;
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Xavi_ wrote:
Ep, I believe you meant to say "Episode 9" instead of "Episode 10"! You nearly gave me a heart attack, hehe

Huh, that's weird! Usually that stuff is automated, must have been a snafu. It's been fixed.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
thats a strange review. The most part is telling us what happen in the Episode, with little own ideas added. So 80% Episode telling and 20% writers own ideas

"i was here seeing that, done that and thats it!"
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Hyro_10 wrote:
...of falling in love with something inhuman.

Dunno but Isla feels very human to me.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Hyro_10 wrote:
...of falling in love with something inhuman.

And I see guys going further than that with their stupid cars all the time.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
This episode was such a waste. And their attempt at tension with kazuki at the end was so unnecessary. Last episode went somewhere this one was just 30 minutes of nothing. They really needed to wrap up Isla`s worries in this episode so that there was at least something done this episode.

On the plus side I enjoyed Eru`s idea of a pajama party.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:

That's my point.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with Gabriella about the missed opportunity Plastic Memories represents. When it is on, it is fantastic, but far too often it is just... there.

Perhaps the ending will be as good as the beginning?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Perhaps the ending will be as good as the beginning?

Well I hope not, given the dearth of quality. When I read the preview guide entries (and user comments in the preview guide thread) for episode one, this was my emotional journey:

(ಠ_ರೃ)

(ಠ_ಠ)>ರೃ

(ಠ_ಠ)

(0_0)

_| ̄|○

¯\_(~_~)_/¯

Needless to say, while do I agree that Plastic Memories has not lived up to the potential of its science-fiction premise, I am not one who thinks the show had a good start and then went downhill thereafter. It started as cringe-inducing and has just stayed there ever since (of course, some parts were definitely worse than others).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At least the main couple is finally together. There are three episodes left, so Plastic Memories is either going to try and throw some plot at us (bring back the illegal Giftia retrievers?) or dwell on Isla's death hardcore.

Would go with the latter. The former was explored to give a reason as to why Giftias need to be retrieved before their expiration dates. At this point, the series seems to be more focused on the tragic things to come with Isla and how it is going to affect Tsukasa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I've found ep 10 to be charming. It does a bit more exploration on Isla and also on Kazuki and the Service. It has its comedic moments for sure, but focuses more on development than its sweet moments, so that's a plus. And the end was sweet, now I wonder how 3 episodes of this will work-like.

Also am I the only who thought:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14