• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:04 am Reply with quote
It was a foreign theme but it showed utmost mastery of Japanese ingredients, which I think was the point of the exercise.

A duck head would have been too creepy...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, probably overstated things about the duck scene, but I've had experiences with people who were too grossed out by the blood on a raw steak to cook or who refused to stuff a roasting chicken, so I decided to err on the side of caution.

I grew up with a cat who was a tremendous hunter, so I learned to identify mouse organs by what he left on the lawn. Laughing
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
Be glad your cat was experienced, I`ve had many who unwittingly caught small rabbits and such. Is much better when they know the next step after playing with it.

It is funny that the whole class went to catch fish. Fish is a pretty big staple in Japanese food, but you would think many would want to stand out. I would probably go for something like an eggplant dish since everyone there seems so meat focused. Plenty of non-meat Japanese dishes. We could`ve used a bit more of a tour of the grounds to see what things they missed.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
Bit of trivia... A"nakiri" is actually a type of thin-bladed knife for cutting greens.

Also, the duck they used was a hybrid between wild and domestic duck (an "aigamo").
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
It is funny that the whole class went to catch fish...
We could've used a bit more of a tour of the grounds to see what things they missed.

I think the point was that they were all so panicked over having to gather their own ingredients within the time limit that they were afraid to take the time to explore. But it did strike me as odd that Soma, who never panics, settled for fish without exploring the possibilities.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 7: Even for a big fan of the manga I have to say the fanservice is going a little over the top here... I haven't had any problems with the foodgasms but that 1 minute choose her bra scene just really felt unnecessary to me. She's like a hulking fanservice element right now.
Ep. 8: Yes! I've been waiting for those two. Great episode this week, and I presume everyone got their weekly dose of acute food knowledge. I think it was the right idea to warn about the duck. Though it's already skinned, I can see how some people might get queasy over the innards. Not saying showing the innards were a bad idea though, I think it adds a level of expertise to characters' cooking.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Nyaomix wrote:
It is funny that the whole class went to catch fish...
We could've used a bit more of a tour of the grounds to see what things they missed.

I think the point was that they were all so panicked over having to gather their own ingredients within the time limit that they were afraid to take the time to explore. But it did strike me as odd that Soma, who never panics, settled for fish without exploring the possibilities.

FWIW, catching fish is a lot easier than hunting for game... especially without firearms.

Unless the ducks and rabbit were penned or caged... in which case the two brothers probably just walked up and strangled one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
FWIW, catching fish is a lot easier than hunting for game... especially without firearms.

Unless you've got a good pitching arm. Smile I once saw my father take out a pheasant with a rock at 40 yards. I was not only shocked that he did it, but that he could do it (he might have been as well). Only time I've ever eaten pheasant.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
...oh my...

I once nailed a pigeon in the eye with a slingshot at something like 40 feet.... I was surprised I actually hit it. I felt terrible, but finished it off. But then my mom overcooked it... sigh.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Takumi Aldini is great at delivering cliche shonen rival lines only to be undermined by reality and subsequently mocked by Soma for it. For example in the ninth episode when, after proclaiming that he would crush him when he met again, he was sitting next to Soma on the bus ride back.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
The ending where they were humming the song was amazing ( I just love that song).
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
It seems kind of absurd for ~200 students to make 50 servings each. That's 10,000 servings... There couldn't possibly be that many people at the hotel.

Not to mention there's no way those kids would have the experience and skill needed to make 50 servings in such a short time unless they had worked in a major restaurant.

I am kind of disappointed there aren't recipes at the end of each episode lol.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
^It is too bad about the recipes, but it can still be inspiring - the other night I made a modified version of the fried fish by crushing up some roasted pumpkin seeds and breading chicken with them before frying, instead of sauteeing with a cornmeal breading like usual. It was pretty awesome, even if I couldn't use fish because my sister doesn't like it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
It seems kind of absurd for ~200 students to make 50 servings each. That's 10,000 servings... There couldn't possibly be that many people at the hotel.

My understanding was that it was all for those body builders, and American football players and wrestlers, who were all eating ridiculous numbers of servings of everything. Also, portion sizes in such an upscale restaurant are probably smaller, especially if you're comparing to American plates, though even Japan probably doesn't overload on pricey menus. We weren't shown how many Americans were added to the group, so if 100 more people showed up, they're probably eating more than 50 portions each, which is of course absurd, but Americans have that reputation in general, let alone football players, and the Japanese are no slouches when it comes to eating competitions.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Not to mention there's no way those kids would have the experience and skill needed to make 50 servings in such a short time unless they had worked in a major restaurant.

I am kind of disappointed there aren't recipes at the end of each episode lol.
Recipes are included in manga volumes, and I think there's a recipe book being released, or recently released, in Japan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 19