• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tatsunoko Develops New Speed Racer Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Will it be like "Gatchaman Crowds" where the characters look like "Tiger and Bunny" rejects?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking for years that Tatsunoko should make a new Speed Racer series so this is awesome. Gatchaman Crowds or Yatterman Dark style? I'm hoping for something like Redline (maybe a bit more Shoneny).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in Speed Racer/Mach GoGoGo getting a reboot. I'd be fine with something more in line with the original or its '97 remake, but at the same time, considering the darker reboots Tatsunoko seems to give the go for, I'd be all for a reboot that tries to be more Death Race 2000... Death Speed 2020?

Also, I do hope that this renewed focus on SR brings about new releases of the original shows. Even though it's not exactly well liked, I'd love to watch the '97 reboot, and getting the original series (both dubbed & subbed) would be cool as well.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see more classical anime get remade (009, Astro Boy, etc.). It's interesting that the original Speed Racer was also the original Japanese Cyborg 009.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I actually really enjoyed the Wachowski film, and I thought it at least did a good job of making a memorable film of a classic property.

For those who've never, ever gotten around to seeing it, the world's changed after seven years:
- We know what Marvel movies look like after Iron Man,
- It turned out not to be such a big deal that Indiana Jones came back, after all,
- The Dark Knight isn't what it used to be, now that he Sank,
- We're now re-familiarized enough with the show to know that the kid and the chimp actually WERE in the freakin' cartoon,
- And after that Jupiter thing, we've stopped expecting the Wachowskis to make "the next Matrix", and are just grateful if they can make a good, coherent movie for once. (The rest of the Trilogy didn't help either.)

So how about it, huh? Maybe you might like to take a look at it now, if you've got nothing better to watch? Cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V8sLlqJB2w

Um... what? I'm aware the movie isn't the most popular thing ever, but that hasn't changed in 7 years, and I don't see the movie any differently. I honestly don't know what you're trying to say.

And Jupiter Ascending has it's fans. There's one lady on my Facebook feed that saw it 16 times in the theater. It's apparently got kind of a cult following, even though the film itself is trash, but the fans know that, and are embracing it. Some are even speculating it might become a future cult classic.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they don't make the characters moe. I dropped Yatterman Night after the first episode because the main character was moe.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Speed Racer in years. A modern version of it sounds pretty cool.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Speed will be a Hajime type character.
Didn't happen in Yatterman Night. Have faith that characters won't be Mary Sues.

Animeking1108 wrote:
Will it be like "Gatchaman Crowds" where the characters look like "Tiger and Bunny" rejects?
How are they rejects? The suits in both shows have the same character designers.

Yaki-udon wrote:
Hopefully they don't make the characters moe. I dropped Yatterman Night after the first episode because the main character was moe.
There's a difference between moe and being young.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
Too bad this is a bunch of years too late to have Speed Racer references in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
The 90s remake was pretty poor.

Nowhere near as poor as what Nickelodeon attempted.
LadyElvis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Anime smile Oh, wonderful news!! My family is surely looking forward to the new Speed Racer series out there. ESPECIALLY ME >_<since I'm a huge Speed Racer fangirl. I watched the 2008 Speed Racer film but I'm more fond of the classic 1967 Speed Racer. And, since it was more successful than the other re-makes out there, the new series should preserve it's authentic 1967 format. Giving the same characters a little polish will bring the freshness out of the old anime, along with the opening theme could have different shots this time, yet keeping the "Speed Racer Pose" at the end with checkered background. In other words, the new series could be preserved like how the Slotter Mania P: Mach Go Go Go III did!
Well, I hope the new Speed Racer series is successful like it was in the 60s. Oh, and I want to surprise my dad so I won't tell him about this until it gets released. Anime smile He is gonna flip out.
Anime hyper Long live Speed Racer! And I posted a Speed Racer Photo & Art gallery online as a tribute to him.https://plus.google.com/photos/117940075805827196628/albums?banner=pwa
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
A Speed Racer Remake? I'm torn on how I feel about this. On the one hand, we have remakes that are pretty good: the Live Action movie (which, I don't care what anyone says, I will defend to the grave as a note-perfect adaption of the show) and a Yamato remake that's really, really well done.

But on the other hand? This will be the - what, third - attempt at the show? There was the gadaweful version in the 90s, and the only slightly less dreadful Speed Racer: The Next Generation.

Seriously, just keep the theme and all will be forgiven.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
A new show of Speed Racer?

I watched most of Speed Racer growing up and I enjoyed it all the way to its end. I hope the remake of it will be just as good as the initial show.

I'm sorry to revive such an old topic, but I just finished Mach Go Go Go (AKA Speed Racer's original version) and I have to say, I'd love to see a modern Speed Racer. Heck, I might even watch it when/if they make the same dub changes as the 60's version. Any word on when this is happening?
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Nothing as of yet, beyond Funimation picked up the liscense and is intending on releasing blu rays.

The true test of Using Kickstarter for a gauge of interest isn't Escaflowne, but something old like Speed Racer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2