• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Navigation bar doesn't open on mouse hover

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
I do not think that I have the same problem as the person who started this thread, but it is close enough that I decided to post here instead of starting a new thread.

My problem is with the navigation bar.
Usually when I hover my cursor over a heading in the navigation bar I would get a drop-down menu. Starting this morning that is not happening.
However, if I click on the heading I do get the menu and can use the links. It is just the mouse-over that is not working.

I always use Firefox and I thought that NoScript might be causing the problem, but I restarted Firefox with all add-ons disabled an it made no difference.
I also got the same results with Chrome and Internet Explorer, though I am not sure that the drop-down ever was working with them.

This is not a serious problem because I can still use the menus, but it is enough of a difference to make me wonder if something has changed on the site.

Other scripts seem to be working. I don't think that I could have posted this if scripts were not working at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'm getting the same problem as Touma (I'm on Chrome, haven't checked it on Firefox). It started yesterday, and before that, I had no problems getting the drop-down on hover (and click would hold it open) in Chrome.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Touma, Dessa, We disabled the auto-expansion on mouse-over. Some people found it annoying.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
^ I actually thought that you might have done something like that and I'm glad that you did. It takes only a little while to get used to. Before, I often accidentally expanded something that I wasn't supposed to and it was obviously annoying.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Quote:
We disabled the auto-expansion on mouse-over.

Thank you so much for that. The problem was that when ever I opened a new forum page, that was the default position for my cursor. I had to pull down off of the expanded area in order to see the new page.

I hadn't complained because it was minor but it got real irritating.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I often found it to be annoying, especially when I inadvertently opened a menu that covered the whole screen.

Since this is not a technical problem I actually prefer it this way.

Thank you for the response, Tempest.

Last edited by Touma on Tue May 26, 2015 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I wish users had actually been told of this change. Not only is that the courteous thing to do, it also would have spared us being confused. I don't think admin realises how disconcerting it is to have a part of the site stop working like that for seemingly no reason.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I apparently must be in the minority, because I absolutely loathe extra mouse clicks, and greatly preferred just having to hover to get to the link.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
@Dessa
For me it wasn't an issue of the number of mouse clicks, but rather that it came on constantly when I didn't want it. Though I have to say I don't consider a mouse click or two to be a real hardship.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks. Greatly reduces the number of accidental page navigations from a menu loading under my mouse when entering encyclopedia info.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I wish users had actually been told of this change. Not only is that the courteous thing to do, it also would have spared us being confused. I don't think admin realises how disconcerting it is to have a part of the site stop working like that for seemingly no reason.

Noted!

Most websites honestly do not say anything about "small" changes, but we'll start keeping a log of them somewhere for you. Probably in the forum. I doubt we'll be posting them to the front page though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I apparently must be in the minority, because I absolutely loathe extra mouse clicks, and greatly preferred just having to hover to get to the link.

I'm not exactly on one side or the other, but I had just gotten used to the automatic drop down.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Most websites honestly do not say anything about "small" changes, but we'll start keeping a log of them somewhere for you. Probably in the forum. I doubt we'll be posting them to the front page though.

As long as it's kept up to date, a dedicated thread is all I need. Doesn't even have to be stickied since any new posts in it will bump it to the top. Plus I'll just bookmark it anyway for easier access.

Thank you for your response.

Oh, and for the record, I do appreciate the change. Like the other users in this thread, I too found the mouseover to be problematic.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1