• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ushio & Tora (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote

Ushio & Tora (TV)
Ushio & Tora (TV2)

Genres: Comedy, Demons, Shounen, Supernatural
Themes: Youkai, School, Transformations

Plot Summary: It centers around the travails and battles of Ushio Aotsuki, who is constantly being stalked and aided by a gigantic, supernatural and sometimes invisible tiger-like monster (somewhat like Calvin and Hobbes).

Ushio's family maintains a Shinto temple in Japan, where ~500 years ago, his samurai ancestor battled that same tiger to a standstill, and eventually trapped him against a rock using a blessed spear called the "Beast Spear", which in addition to its intrinsic formidability as a weapon, can also endow its wielder with the martial ability of the ancestor who originally wielded it. Ushio accidentally unsealed the cave Tora was trapped in.

Initially, Ushio refuses to remove the spear pinning Tora down (as Tora made the strategic blunder of mentioning that the first thing he would do upon being freed would be to devour Ushio), but Tora's unsealed presence summons various monsters who wish to fight him, and by extension Ushio. Ushio is forced to free Tora, who would like to eat Ushio, but dares not since Ushio keeps the spear close by. The series focuses on their relationship, interspersed with battles against mythological foes, and with Tora's attempts to grapple with modern life.

The story also includes Ushio's relationships with two girls: the tomboyish Asako Nakamura and the feminine Mayuko Inoue.

Episodic in nature, most of the manga is a series of fights with different youkai or other creatures from Japanese legend. But at thirty-three volumes, the story continues far past the events of the anime, and leads to an epic conclusion.
----------------------------------

Was kinda surprised at seeing this series getting a full TV anime adaptation. I know there was an OVA series that was adapted many years ago but a full TV adaptation would of been preferred imo. There's over 300+ chapters so I'm curious what MAPPA will do here.

The character designs released so far has the old school feeling that I remember from the manga so I think this could be a dark horse of the year. Hoping they adapt this into a 3 or 4 cour Smile

Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Solid episode. It introduced the main premise along with the spoiler[Beast Spear.] Along with the OST and action, we get the a good amount of focus between Ushio and Tora.

The feel of the artwork also gives an nostalgic feeling. Definitely impressed by this so far. Loved the theme songs as well. I think pacing is fine so far but might skip some material along the way. It's a 3 cour (break between) so I think it will have time to cover plenty of stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
That opening =\. Typical early 90's. But, not surprisingly, I liked the rest of episode 1. I hope spoiler[Tora] finds someone or someone finds spoiler[Tora] that is the counterbalance to all of the antagonizing which results from his actions and personality. It looks like spoiler[Inoue] just might be that kindhearted soul.

I know it's a shounen manga but, given the era, happy endings aren't completely impossible for everyone. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I would not exactly say this was good. First, bull that his father is only 47, he looks like an old man and 47 is not that old. Second, oh look a giant door, I must try and open and it will cave in, that feels more sloppy plot convenience, which is probably typical of the source material.

There are like hundreds of tales against releasing the inhuman creature that anyone should follow, all about not trusting what they say. That he seems to go along with it feels like a stretch, along with believing anything from a 500 year old grudge. And that the scary monster then becomes a big scaredy cat, felt too silly to mix up the tones, that there should have been a better way to go about him then doing what he wants. Things really do seem to be following that poor manga logic which I am quite sure is better now.

Also, I am not really a fan of the style.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of this art style.
Looks old fashioned..
Well, everything depends on the story.
Seems pretty intense & kinda funny at times.
Does have some potential though.
Have to give it a few more episodes before I decide.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Badass. That's how I like to describe the episode.

Despite the bickering, I think Ushio and Tora makes a fine team together when they fight. Asako is also quite an interesting girl imo. Hope we see some more background story about her especially with Ushio.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Not a plot hole yet, but if monsters were still existing in the world, then someone must have been fighting them anyway, and those someone would probably want to get to him, and also about the whole thing on TV.

Also, that TV looked modern, so is this set in a modern time?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
Ushio really can't get any peace anymore.
I really like watching those two bicker all the time ^^
The switch between comedy & serious is lightning fast!
Those girls just can't stay away from trouble..
Looks like the tiger took a liking to Ushio after all..
Great episode!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
After 2 episodes, I still don't like the 90's art, but it's ok. Mostly it makes me want to go watch Natsume's Book of Friends instead. Smile I guess the best part was Tora's delight over seeing himself on tv (not sure why he shows up on camera but not in person), and his rapt attention in history class.

It's not really clear, but I think all the demons showing up is a side effect of Tora's demonic energy being released. Even when he was still pinned to the wall, just breaking the seal on the cellar was enough to attract swarms of minor demons in the area. Now that he's free I guess his excess energy is powering them up a bit?

Might be interesting to see what happens when dad finally comes home (and I thought that too - he looks 67, not 47). He was only supposed to be gone for a week or so, wasn't he?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

We get characterization with Reiko's story. I felt bad for her tbh because of her father but it looks like he saw his own errors in the very end. Loved how Ushio and Tora teamed together to get rid of the oni though.

The brightened painting in the end looked like it's a symbol for hope.

And lol, Tora's father is pretty funny. Good episode.
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Every time I start to cringe the anime immediately redeems itself and raises the bar. Yusuke's uncle and his '90's school uniform is so cringeworthy BUT the whole episode brings it together so well I want to cringe more just so the anime keeps getting better and better.

The twists and turns, the "oh sh-" moments, the "just right" amount of sadness and happiness; these are just some of the things I love about anime adaptions that I can't even begin to imagine when reading a manga. Very Happy All three episodes so far have been so nicely put together with the BGM, sound effects, voice acting, and animation. I hope the episode next week has at least a little bit of action and drama besides the expect humor of spoiler["Tora goes to town."]

I love that ending though. Puts a smile on my face. AND that ending theme too!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
Did that guy make his child daughter be a nude model?

And because of course a student can start to beat the shit out of another, he does not get in trouble, and we have to find out he is just misunderstood.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
Ushio's dad was in for a nice surprise.
Going to the art gallery.
That picture, Reiko & her dead dad = demon problem.
Ushio sure was persistent about helping Reiko.
Some pretty good action parts this time.
That spear is amazing!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And because of course a student can start to beat the shit out of another, he does not get in trouble, and we have to find out he is just misunderstood.

He started his fight with Ushio before Reiko was even involved, I'm pretty sure he's just a regular delinquent on top of liking Reiko. It's possible that him becoming a delinquent is related to Reiko's situation but I wouldn't say he was painted as just misunderstood.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yeah, I kinda flashed on Sankarea when they showed that. I do like that this shounen hero is into art though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9