• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Searching Forums by Words in Title?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
I have no idea if this is possible or not. I know how to search for words in a post, but then I get hundreds of results I don't want since many of these posts could reference something that's not on subject. If there's a thread on this, this thread here kinda proves my pickle. So is it possible?
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I think that it is not possible to search just the titles of the posts, or threads. That is something that I noticed long ago.

You can search for words in the title and the body of the post, or you can search for words in the body only, but you cannot search for words in the title only.

I do not know if this is a limitation of phpBB, the forum software, or if the admins here configured it that way.
If it is in the software then nothing can be done about it. If it is in the configuration then I would like to request that it be changed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm positive something can be done by it. Iv'e been on a couple forums with a programming language and setup very similar to this. I was able to search by title, so it should be possible for ANN. I'd be surprised if it wasn't/
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hi Brook-Gomamon, welcome to ANN.

Unfortunately this version of phpbb does not support searching titles only. It's been an annoyance for a long, long time.
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Hi Brook-Gomamon, welcome to ANN.

Unfortunately this version of phpbb does not support searching titles only. It's been an annoyance for a long, long time.

Hm, that's new. Alright. It as no big deal, really. Just wanted to find a thread about the skin feedback. Only thing I wanted to comment on was how we have a couple of Funimation skins mentioning they have over 9,000 episodes... and neither of them are Dragon Ball Z. That, and I was wondering about limitations on skin creating.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
Regarding forum title search (since the thread it locked), it can be done (to a degree) using Google advanced search commands e.g.

Code:
site:animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2 intitle:[search term]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1