• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In Praise of the Episode Review System

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
This is feedback that does not require any official ANN reply. I'm posting it because I want ANN management to know having episode reviews is a great site feature and one I hope continues well into the future. I worry that given the amount of resources it takes to have them, combined with the occasional poop-storm that flares up as a result of an episode review that the powers that be might start to wonder if they are worth the hassle and I want to assure them that they are, imo, and I'm sure I'm not alone in believing that.

For me, the episode reviews fulfill two important functions: 1) in some cases they deepen my understanding of what I have already seen (I never read a review until I have watched the episode first). I would not liked to have navigated Yuri Bear Storm without Gabriella's guidance, for example (same with Nick's insights into SNAFU); and,

2) They are an opportunity to discuss in greater depth elements of a show that a full series review or a block of episodes review does not have the space to do. Ultimately, I think this creates more and better discussion of titles.

So yeah, really hope this feature continues on for as long as ANN is around. If you feel the same, please feel free to add to this thread and let ANN management know that episode reviews are a worthy investment of their resources.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! We appreciate the feedback (saw this a few days ago and showed it to Zac, I'm sure it made his day).
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For me, the episode reviews fulfill two important functions

I'll add a third for myself and no doubt quite a few others: they're great when I'm on the fence about continuing with a show after 1-3 episodes but don't have enough free time that I feel comfortable investing in watching another episode or two to figure it out on my own.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Bit late to the party, but I have to say I really enjoy the reviews too. Even though they're episode reviews, they always go in good and lenghty detail about what's going on and make you think more about the show's themes and meanings. I really appreciate that. There's room for every aspect of the show - themes, characters, art/animation and sound quality, but reviewers also feel free to delve deeper into what a show has to say about society or gender roles, just to give an example.

I didn't particularly like Yurikuma as a show (and stopped midway), but the reviews I read were superb and a good read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1