• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga recs for girls middle school?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
For middle school, I would highly recommend Natsume's Book of Friends. Perhaps not terribly exciting, but no questionable content (it's implied that one of Natsume's yokai allies is a lesbian who had been in unrequieted love with Natsume's late grandmother if that's an issue for you - and that's just about it), and a beautifully drawn and written story about fitting in and standing by your friends, human or otherwise. Most of the regular cast is male, but one of Natsume's friends - Taki - is a very competent girl, albeit a supporting character. There's also the classic Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, with one of the all-time great role models for young girls.

As for Ouran, I think I would hold off until high school due to some of the twins' innuendo and the scene where Kyoya pulls his little stunt to make the point to Haruhi that she could have been raped when she doesn't understand why Tamaki and the twins are upset. Nothing too terrible, but I think Ouran can wait.

As for Honey and Clover, I really think it would be most appreciated by those who have been through a year of college and can understand what the characters are going through. There's also a frame or two late series implying that two of the characters have "done the deed", which you might not feel it necessary for your middle schoolers to see yet. Mostly I just think the general tone is older, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3