• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gangsta (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote

Gangsta (TV)

Genres: Action, Drama, Seinen
Themes: Crime, Gangs, Rivalries

Plot Summary: In the city of Ergastulum, a shady ville filled with made men and petty thieves, whores on the make and cops on the take, there are some deeds too dirty for even its jaded inhabitants to touch. Enter the "Handymen," Nic and Worick, who take care of the jobs no one else will handle. Until the day when a cop they know on the force requests their help in taking down a new gang muscling in on the territory of a top Mafia family. It seems like business (and mayhem) as usual, but the Handymen are about to find that this job is a lot more than they bargained for. -Viz
----------------------------------

A preview was released recently and I have to say, this is looking quite well from the way it was presented. Based on the manga of the same name, I've been following the series for awhile after the anime announcement was made last year. It kinda reminds me of Jormungand, Dogs: Bullets & Carnage, and even Black Lagoon.

Really looking forward to this Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'll gladly take a series staring adult character. The comparison to black lagoon and jormugand are obvious in that sense, with the whole underworld aspect. Still there so rare that more, even if it turn out to be average, is great.

Never liked when character fight with a sword sheath, they always make a big deal about it but you know he'll just end up using the sword at some point anyway. Plus it usually mean we'll get a soapy flashback about why he's not using it.
Zoyson

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote
This is ought to be a good anime.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quote:
Never liked when character fight with a sword sheath

I wondered where you got that idea until I took a second look at the preview. Never fear, that scene is direct from the manga. spoiler[He is just giving the guy a three minute handicap before he pulls the sword.]
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Quote:
Never liked when character fight with a sword sheath

I wondered where you got that idea until I took a second look at the preview. Never fear, that scene is direct from the manga. spoiler[He is just giving the guy a three minute handicap before he pulls the sword.]

Oh nice, he had like a ribbon or something over his sword. Hard to get pump for a fight when one of the fighter isn't giving his all by default.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
@meiam
No, spoiler[he is just showing how badass he is. I'd say he was bragging but it is not a brag if it is true.] Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
First episode will be out later today but I got a feeling this will be a 1 cour show. No schedule time announced yet from Funimation for this though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
#1:

Not following the previews so had no idea what to expect. Having watched this, it's like watching a cross of Black Lagoon and Gintama with the former more prominent than the latter.

Simple premise of a city controlled by mafia families and the freelance mercenaries who will take any job for money from all comers. Now that the girl Alex has been employed as the duo's new secretary, the storyline and hook for this series is set.

This is the first time I've seen a main character who is deaf and communicates with sign language yet is so skilled at the art of killing. Just to top it off, his skill at lip reading allows him to mimic a hearing person's ability to speak. Warrick plays a more typical foil to the deaf swordsman's character.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

That was bloody and violent as what I had expected. I think the OP theme song fits for this show although I prefer the ED theme better.

I just think that some bits of the OST could be toned down a bit although it's quite stylistic for a show like this.
Action is solid so far. We'll find out more about that girl throughout this story most likely by the way the first episode was executed.

But overall, it was nice. The manga runs 30+ chapters so expecting a 1 cour. Glad to see they didn't censor the more mature content in order to retain the native maturity of the series.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, been looking forward to this for some time.
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Besides the animated opening obviously being targeted at the straight male audience, I loved the shirtless shots of our ikemen duo and the opening theme song. I am looking forward to this more and more after seeing the first episode. I'm very happy to see the duo are gentlemen instead of men who are still boys like the antagonists in episode 1. Twisted Evil I'm looking forward to summer for the first time in a long time.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
This was decent but just barely above me just re watching black lagoon.

My main complain is that the city feels dead, if you compare it to roanapur it's night and day. There's never anything happening in the background or any crowd background sounds.

Fight was also pretty meh, with mostly just the gangster standing there having seemingly forgotten how to use there gun.

Both aspect could easily be improved with time obviously.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I don't really have any illusions about glory of organised crime, so this focusing on mafia and such kind of makes me feel sick. It is partially a good kind of sick though as it took steps to show how horrible some of these things are with mature content.

I have seen the odd documentary on things like human trafficking and prostitution, so I am interested to see what will happen with the reformed prostitute, Alex. Gritty use of sexuality, with two gentleman save a prostitute that had nowhere to go and got beaten, it gets my morbid curiosity. Although chances are I may not have a good time with this.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The eye patch blond guy gave me instant flashback to Black Lagoon!
Maybe it's the character art..
Two main characters look very interesting.
Action scenes are good.
Really like the realistic, as much as possible, side of this anime.
Definitely watching this!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
That was a great first episode. The animation was kind of sloppy but the direction compensated for it. spoiler[I loved the shot from Alex's POV of the two handymen immediately after their job, where the one dude is leaning against a wall and you just see the arm of the other one dragging a body. ]I like how dirty everything looks as well; it's a resonant aesthetic for the moral ambiguity of the protagonists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6