• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hetalia The World Twinkle (ONA).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote

Hetalia The World Twinkle

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes:

Plot Summary: Members of personified countries reunite to bring excitement and laughter to audiences.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

First episode is on now and we got the cats talking. It's been awhile since I've seen Hetalia but I did miss the funny gimmicks from the franchise. Oh and that ED theme is pretty catchy Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Not that crazy about the cats. All the Eurocats getting sick if Germanycat gets sick was mildly humorous, as was Chinacat refusing to eat Chinese cat food.

Not really off to a great start.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
The jokes weren't the best, but loved the cats. Except China-cat, that ponytail is a sin to catness. I particularly liked the joke about Spain offering to repair France's home and France refusing on grounds of the infamous Ecce Homo restoration failure. I liked that they tackled more contemporary topics such as the EU depending on Germany or the Abenomics.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3-4

I'm really enjoying the Nordic episodes, but I'm still having trouble telling Hetalia's version of them apart. I'm too used to Humon's Scandinavia and the World. Smile But while I would imagine the Danish Humon has a better take on the character of the Nordics, it's still interesting to see the Japanese perspective.

They got Estonia's Nordic envy down well (ironic that Scotland also wants to join the Nordic Council, and they're all "sure, we'd love to have you!" but want nothing to do with Estonia). And I was delighted to see the shout out to Iceland's Penis Museum spoiler[(the lampshade is not a joke)]. Very Happy

Overall though, I'm not as enamored of this season as the previous ones. It's too...pastel somehow. And I hate the end credits. Those were always irresistible fun, but this just looks stupid.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
Just watched episode 11. Anybody care to explain what that was all about?

At least the micronations eps were interesting and informative.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Just watched episode 11. Anybody care to explain what that was all about?

At least the micronations eps were interesting and informative.

Basically, young America makes friends with a boy named Davie. Davie shows America a pressed flower, and America decides that he wants to find more of them. However, because the personified countries age differently from regular people, every time they meet again, Davie is older, while America stays the same (and I don't think America realizes that the older man is Davie, and Davie probably doesn't remember America anymore). Eventually, America receives the same type of flower from England (since apparently they only grow in his country), and runs off to show Davie, but by now Davie is an old man and has died. Since he's still a small child, America does not understand death, and therefore does not realize that the man in the casket is his friend, and so keeps trying to offer the flowers to Davie's grandson (who he of course believes is Davie himself) with a smile on his face.

I never would have thought they would adapt this story from the manga (or the micronations, for that matter).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I guess I kinda got that much, but I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be symbolizing.

But then I couldn't figure out why Wy was so antagonistic or shy/fearful of Hutt River, either. I'd think they'd get along best. Very Happy

Thanks!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty surprised that they decided to adapt Davie. It's perfect for explaining the downside of these characters aging slowly and being effectively immortal as long as their nation doesn't crumble... But it's a real downer! Deen actually did a nice job with it.

Hutt River is sort of a mentor to Wy. She just doesn't understand him well and he has an odd personality, so their meeting is awkward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1