• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clodus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I realize this is a rather arbitrary question regarding language/connotation rather than about the actual show so I'm posting it here instead of the actual topic.

What is the difference between "Ore" and "Jibun". I understand they both are ways of referring to oneself but what are the connotations attached to each word. Is one word more polite/respectful/submissive or masculine/feminine?

On episode 1 of Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei (irregular at magic highschool) around the 5 minute markspoiler[. When the main character Shiba Tatsuya first meets Saegua Mayumi. They exchange greetings introductions. Mayumi introduces herself first then Tatsuya says "ore" and he quickly stops and changes it to "jibun" as follows "jibun shiba tatsuya desu".]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
"Jibun" (自分) isn't something I'm familiar with myself, but "ore" (俺) is basically a really masculine/boastful way of referring to yourself. Now the question is what's the difference between "jibun" and "watashi" (私, and it's variations).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
This site breaks it all down pretty well. The main take-away I think is this:

"There are people who call themselves 自分(=jibun), but it sounds a little more distant than the other pronouns. It sounds like one is drawing a line between themselves and the listener. Also sometimes it sounds more rigid because it is a typical soldiers’ type of speech."

That seems to fit both the speaker here and the situation. 自分 is also used for more formal situations.
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Thank you both. The formality reason seemed appropriate and makes sense since its their first time meeting each other. spoiler[He had an internal monologue and realized she was from a renown lineage of magic users so maybe he was showing her some respect as well.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
[Edit]: this is an English language forum. From "teh rules":

Quote:
All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.

Errinundera.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
I realize this is a rather arbitrary question regarding language/connotation rather than about the actual show so I'm posting it here instead of the actual topic.

What is the difference between "Ore" and "Jibun". I understand they both are ways of referring to oneself but what are the connotations attached to each word. Is one word more polite/respectful/submissive or masculine/feminine?

On episode 1 of Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei (irregular at magic highschool) around the 5 minute markspoiler[. When the main character Shiba Tatsuya first meets Saegua Mayumi. They exchange greetings introductions. Mayumi introduces herself first then Tatsuya says "ore" and he quickly stops and changes it to "jibun" as follows "jibun shiba tatsuya desu".]

The 'jibun' in question is a first person singular pronoun which was used in the Imperial Japanese Army. As Professor Kigawa Yukio, a scholar of Japanese language, has pointed out it, in the Imperial Japanese Army in the Shōwa period, the word 'jibun' was used by a lower-ranking person when he talked to a higher-ranking person.
The first person singular pronoun 'ore' can be rude to a higher-ranking person, and Shiba Tatsuya has found that the girl whom he is talking with is an upper-class student who comes from a prestigious family of magicians. So he has switched from 'ore', which probably he usually uses, to 'jibun', which can connote his politeness to his superior.
His using the word 'jibun' also suggests that Shiba Tatsuya is a warrior-type person. spoiler[In fact, Shiba Tatsuya is also an officer of the army.]

On a side note, though the second kanji is different from Saegusa Mayumi (七草真由美)'s, the family name 'Saegusa' which is written as '七種' is a real-life family name, and you can occasionally see families whose name is '七種 Saegusa' in Nagasaki.

kaiyl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
There was this anime I once watched as a kid with a boy who lived in the sky and was given this weapon (some sort of rod) that could control and shoot air. The boy was, however, kicked out and went down to earth and helped save some villages with his weapon. There was also some sort of evil queen, and some blue wizard guy riding a giant floating cat. I know it's really vague but that's all the details I could remember.
Clodus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
The 'jibun' in question is a first person singular pronoun which was used in the Imperial Japanese Army. As Professor Kigawa Yukio, a scholar of Japanese language, has pointed out it, in the Imperial Japanese Army in the Shōwa period, the word 'jibun' was used by a lower-ranking person when he talked to a higher-ranking person.
The first person singular pronoun 'ore' can be rude to a higher-ranking person, and Shiba Tatsuya has found that the girl whom he is talking with is an upper-class student who comes from a prestigious family of magicians. So he has switched from 'ore', which probably he usually uses, to 'jibun', which can connote his politeness to his superior.
His using the word 'jibun' also suggests that Shiba Tatsuya is a warrior-type person. spoiler[In fact, Shiba Tatsuya is also an officer of the army.]

On a side note, though the second kanji is different from Saegusa Mayumi (七草真由美)'s, the family name 'Saegusa' which is written as '七種' is a real-life family name, and you can occasionally see families whose name is '七種 Saegusa' in Nagasaki.

Very interesting. I've seen you post from time to time on other topics and you seem like someone who is very familiar with both English and Japanese linguistics. It's just curiosity but what is your basic background with both of these languages and your current occupation? Feel free not to answer.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
kaiyl wrote:
There was this anime I once watched as a kid with a boy who lived in the sky and was given this weapon (some sort of rod) that could control and shoot air. The boy was, however, kicked out and went down to earth and helped save some villages with his weapon. There was also some sort of evil queen, and some blue wizard guy riding a giant floating cat. I know it's really vague but that's all the details I could remember.

Soul Hunter. It's gotta be Soul Hunter.
Triple_Dude

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
I have two Anime that are relatively old (from the '90s, if I were to hazard a guess).

1) It's a movie that takes place in space. The main cast are all female, and they are on a spaceship traveling towards a destination I don't recall. Throughout the movie, they are battling an alien life form that attacks them in their own spaceships, and one by one each character is killed, and near the end I believe only two of them survives.

A specific scene I can recall is one where a female protagonist's craft is shot down, and she ejects into a full-body combat suit to fight the aliens, though she does end up dying at the end of that particular battle.

If memory serves, this is one movie out of an entire series of related movies.

2) I remember barely anything about this one, other than the fact that there's a gigantic "mecha"-like thing, piloted by the bad guy, with a girl onboard held against her will inside of it, and maybe she was acting as the mecha's power source? (I'm not sure on this, so take it with a grain of salt). The protagonists are all in mecha-suits that are "invisible" to regular people, so while they fight the enemy, civilians don't actually see them fighting (I believe this was a McGuffin that was used to semi-explain why their existence aren't known by regular people).

I remember very little about the second anime, but given the fact that I haven't exactly come across anything else that fits that description, if someone reads it and have seen it, I'm sure they'll instantly recognize the peculiar setup and premise.

Well, here's to hoping someone out there will know what either of these anime are! Thanks guys Very Happy!
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
^
#1 might be one of the Gall Force shows.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Touma is correct, the first one is Gall Force Eternal Story, the first in a three part OVA series.

The second one sounds like it's actually a mix of two shows, Hades Project Zeorymer (the giant mecha and female "power soruce") and X (fights between characters with supernatural/psychic power takes place in a different dimension).
kaiyl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Soul Hunter. It's gotta be Soul Hunter.

Dude Thank you. You are awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote
a few months ago i saw a commercial for an anime about a group of woman working on trains as conductors and so on

A big part of one of the anime stores near Akihabara station was devoted to it. The drawing where more realistic, and the characters looked normal.

i took pictures of the posters and dvd so i could look it up later when i was not busy but i lost the pictures and forgot the title.

Can someone help me find this anime?

thank you!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
#841602 wrote:
a few months ago i saw a commercial for an anime about a group of woman working on trains as conductors and so on

A big part of one of the anime stores near Akihabara station was devoted to it. The drawing where more realistic, and the characters looked normal.

i took pictures of the posters and dvd so i could look it up later when i was not busy but i lost the pictures and forgot the title.

Can someone help me find this anime?

thank you!

Could it be Rail Wars?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 505 of 569