• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The entirety of InuYasha, because it's about goddamn time. It's a good series, if full of too much fluff.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
The entirety of InuYasha, because it's about goddamn time. It's a good series, if full of too much fluff.

I KNOW RITE. Anime hyper

My only problem with it was the repetitive flashbacks....but hey, that's what the fast-forward button is for. Anime hyper
ayanami000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday I start watching Romeo X Juliet. But now It seems I can't find any working links. Is it my browsers problem? Well this is annoying. Mad
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
ayanami000 wrote:
Yesterday I start watching Romeo X Juliet. But now It seems I can't find any working links. Is it my browsers problem? Well this is annoying. Mad

Funimation uploaded the whole series to YouTube.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching the first season of Moyashimon. So far I'd describe it as funny, educational, and gross, lol. I recently watched Genshiken, Welcome to the NHK, and Tatami Galaxy, so I'm currently in a college-anime mood.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Finally finished Chrno Crusade. Being already familiar with the manga, I really disliked all the changes they made, especially to Rosette's character, I feel her role in the main conflict was downgraded from savior to damsel in distress. Aion's plan didn't make any sense, and why it worked didn't make any sense either, and the final confrontation was horribly anticlimactic. I thought the ending of the manga was very beautiful and heartbreaking, and although spoiler[Rosette and Chrno's death] in the anime was nicely done too, it lacked the emotional punch the manga had. The hopeless ending felt unnecessary too. Just really disliked most of the changes they made. Rated it Decent because the basic idea was great, and because I love the manga and the characters, but I feel they handled it terribly, especially in the last third of the show.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
So things I finished this week include:

-Okami-san: The main couple actually turned out to be entertaining and the fan service was minimized for a school/comedy anime, I actually ended up liking it although the lack of resolution was disappointing.

-Love Bullet: The last third decided to throw whatever it could, trying to make as little sense as possible to the point where even the pacing suffered. Plus that end was full on stupid. To top it all off where were the human men in this? They're not even in war flashbacks, giving the impression this was done lazily. Never seen an anime get so close to getting a 1/10 and failing at that.

-Appleseed XIII: The last episode going literally bananas was silly, but otherwise I got a somewhat great crime series with a surprisingly well executed main villain even though the CGI was lacking and the pacing could have been better.

-Akito The Exile episode 3: Sunrise keeps delaying these episodes too much, after nearly a year and a half since the last episode we get gypsies being perverted, Leila having back story, nice conspiracy plots, Lancelot looking FABULOUS in CGI, and something new from geass witches. Real shame the first half was hard to get through.... Much like the first two episodes, I'm noticing this pattern where the first halves are mostly irrelevant talking while relevant talking and action scenes are forced into the second half. Maybe the next episode will fix that, Unicorn Gundam could do it and supposedly there is an episode 5 yet the preview says 4 will be the last or GAH!

-Noein: Up to episode 11, wow this pacing is bad and the comedic faces in what is supposed to be a serious series kind of wrecks the mood. Also the titular entity only appears for two minutes in one episode so far, WHY!?
ayanami000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
ayanami000 wrote:

Funimation uploaded the whole series to YouTube.

Sad to say but this isn't available in my country. Rolling Eyes
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
Yesterday I took on several first episodes to cut down my backlog. Going to mention real quick I also watched ep 12 of Noein and the only thing noteworthy was that the titular entity *gasp* showed up again! Okay, now for the meat:

-The Mysterious Archives of Dantalian: It has been a while since I've seen a TV Gainax series. This.... Had a solid first episode, set up the atmosphere very well, there was nothing fanservicy, and surprisingly decent action. I actually ended up liking it. The music is.... Tolerable.

-Vampire Knight: A long time ago I intended to give this a take on back at Evageeks until someone recommended I watched Utena instead. This sat in the backlog so here we are. I expected something like a vampire romance story, but what I got was a school comedy with "oh yeah, we have vampires in the night classes". I'll admit the art style is pretty good though.

-Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: I wanted to see what the hubub was about because Hestia appears in everything now and the main site did an article on how "this character is super important!" or something. So lets see, there is a cavern filled with monsters and the townspeople, instead of closing it, just sends adventurers to kill them so they make money. Would this count as animal cruelty? Ignoring things like how werewolves can function underground (minotaurs and to a small degree giant frogs I can understand), the pacing and humor was just.... Yeesh.

-KanColle: Basically Girls und Panzer with ships.... And creatures!.... and panty shots. Ugh, this is gonna be painful to sit through. By the end of the battle I wondered why they just don't make only the air craft carrier outfits since their weapons are the only ones that finish the job. It is so similar to Dungeon that I'm not sure which anime is worse at this point, since first episodes are normally the worst I usually wait until the half way point to start cementing my thoughts.
Night fox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
^Don't worry. Vampire Knight is not a school comedy. Before long it'll be all about love, angst and tragedy.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
I just watched Swords of an Honourable Ruler, and have found that it is...fine, placed between episodes 136 and 137. However, I, personally, did not like where it was because of one thing: in the film, spoiler[Sesshōmaru takes hold of the Tessaiga while battling with a S'ounga-possessed InuYasha and uses the Wind Scar to deter the latter. Immediately after this, Sesshōmaru is shown to be panting in pain due to Tessaiga's barrier that ordinarily prevents him from wielding it.] This is inconsistent with episode 133/134, wherein spoiler[Sesshōmaru does the same in order to destroy the daemons who had taken Sara Asano as a host, but appears generally unfazed apart from the usual scarring of his hand. This is mere conjecture, but it makes sense to presume that if Sesshōmaru suffered once before from the aforementioned barrier, then he would be more accustomed to enduring the pain after subsequent uses.] Therefore, it makes more sense for this film to occur before episode 133/134.

However, the film cannot occur before episode 132 because spoiler[Miroku mentions while fighting the undead army raised by Takemaru that if he has the wind tunnel, he may as well use it to protect the woman he loves. He says this directly to Sango, who seems touched, but does not appear terribly surprised.] The only way this could be possible is if these events occur after spoiler[Miroku confesses to Sango and asks her to be his wife, as he did at the end of episode 132 (provided they succeed in their quest and return from it alive)].

In short, Swords of an Honourable Ruler is best placed between episodes 132 and 133/134.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I wanted something simple, easy, fun and generally of the "feel good" variety, so I dusted off Seven of Seven.
I did watch this when AnimeWorks released it 10 years ago, but other than feeling confident that it is the kind of show that I want right now I remember so little about it that for all practical purposes it is like I have never seen it before.

I just finished episode 10 and the show is giving me what I had expected, and wanted. It is amusing, but seldom hilarious. Simple but not stupid. The stories are uncomplicated and the messages are rather direct, it is a children's show, but I am finding them to be entertaining.

One of the fun things about watching Seven of Seven, and something that I would have been completely unaware of 10 years ago, is spotting the connections to Mine Yoshizaki, the creator of Sgt. Frog. His only credits are for character "conceptual design," ED animation, "illustration" and copyright holder, but I am sure that he was more involved than that.
So far the main thing that I have noticed is the appearance of Mutsumi* (623) the radio personality from Sgt. Frog. It seems like he has become a regular background character.
Melody Honey, who showed up a few times with the frog, was the main guest character in an episode of Seven of Seven, but she was just an American student and not a celebrity.

Episode 10 also had a clear reference to Arcade Gamer Fubuki, also from Mine Yoshizaki.

So far I am having fun and am looking forward to continuing Seven of Seven.

* I am not sure right now but I think that Mutsumi and Melody Honey might have been in Seven of Seven before they were in Sgt. Frog, not that it really matters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. Excellent all around, great characters, great plot if a bit silly but it transcends it's genre limitations of being a sports competition to get the grail and instead becomes something truly great. I think I feel about this show like I felt about Gurren Lagann: epic over the top style. I loved the characters specially Archer, Rin and Shirou were also great, Saber was a bit underdeveloped but she wasn't the focus here. Still great overall and vastly superior to the first Fate Stay Night (2005). This is one of the series that constitute the reason why I watch animation in the first place: great entertainment all around.

Also watching Noir (2001), another great show. It's a bit to episodic for my tastes but I enjoyed the first 13 episodes for what they were. Reminds me a bit of Kino's journey, though it's much more violent and lacks any semblance of cuteness (besides the Japanese school girl). I think of it as Gunslinger Girl mixed with Kino's Journey.

Also watching some nice garbage, Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan, pretty crude comedy that reminds me a bit of North American comedies like Family Guy and American Dad in that aspect, but it's far more extreme in some other aspects. Japanese culture is very theatrical and in terms of comedy it gets to certain extremes that I cannot even imagine existing in comedies from other places. It's super aggressive at some points.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
I decided to finally go on the rail everybody is and watch Sword Art Online. I only watched the first part (14 first episodes), the ones most people say are the better ones before it goes downhill, and it was... decent. You can tell it's not made with a clear direction sometimes, some filler episodes to introduce harem antics, some dumb things here and there, and hooky execution and characterization. However, it was still entertaining and kind of fun, and although I wish it focused in tons of other established things, it wasn't bad. It's cool it's self-contained (both in story and the way the characters were treated), but that gives a heavy burden to the next seasons about what excuse are they going to use to stretch this and it would probably suck (but that's what people say of the next part anyway so...).

Aside of that I'm watching Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water, only 8 episodes. I can tell I would have loved this as a kid and feel nostalgia by it. Even now it's still a fun adventure series, a little dated but not in the wrong ways.
ayanami000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
I decided to finally go on the rail everybody is and watch Sword Art Online. I only watched the first part (14 first episodes), the ones most people say are the better ones before it goes downhill, and it was... decent. You can tell it's not made with a clear direction sometimes, some filler episodes to introduce harem antics, some dumb things here and there, and hooky execution and characterization. However, it was still entertaining and kind of fun, and although I wish it focused in tons of other established things, it wasn't bad. It's cool it's self-contained (both in story and the way the characters were treated), but that gives a heavy burden to the next seasons about what excuse are they going to use to stretch this and it would probably suck (but that's what people say of the next part anyway so...).

Aside of that I'm watching Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water, only 8 episodes. I can tell I would have loved this as a kid and feel nostalgia by it. Even now it's still a fun adventure series, a little dated but not in the wrong ways.

Yah right Nadia is a good one and my first ever anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 863 of 1061