• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incorrect Translation of Name For Zenou Tanioka

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Hi there,
It's come to my attention that the encyclopedia spells the name of art director Zenou Tanioka (谷岡 善王) incorrectly.

person#75720

Here's the spelling of the person, both on a Wiki site and the Persona 3 film's website
http://lain.gr.jp/staff/profile/5485
http://www.p3m.jp/staff/ (look under #4 Winter of Rebirth)

Can we please fix this? Thanks!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
For the record.

While the website of Persona3 movie looks very official, there are many websites spelling his given name as "Yoshio," including DrillSpin and Movie Walker. While I'm not saying they are 100% correct, their records are better than, say, AllCinema and Wiki-based sites.

Maybe we could ask Bihou directly? However, doing so requires a Japanese address and has to be VERY official, preferably written in formal Japanese business mail format.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

While the website of Persona3 movie looks very official, there are many websites spelling his given name as "Yoshio," including DrillSpin and Movie Walker. While I'm not saying they are 100% correct, their records are better than, say, AllCinema and Wiki-based sites.

Given the evidence, I'm thinking it's more likely those sites just guessed on the reading for what looks (it is not even listed in WWWJDIC) to be an unusual given name.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
Regarding the name of the art director, a page of the Persona 3 the Movie site says, 'Yoshio Tanioka.'
http://www.p3m.jp/sp/staff/
(Click the '#2 Midsummer Knight's Dream' button.)

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Regarding the name of the art director, a page of the Persona 3 the Movie site says, 'Yoshio Tanioka.'
http://www.p3m.jp/sp/staff/
(Click the '#2 Midsummer Knight's Dream' button.)

And if you click "#4 Winter of Rebirth" on the exact same page it says "Zenou Tanioka 谷岡善王(美峰)" Anime dazed

There is another, albeit unlikely, possibility: He changed the kunyomi / onyomi spelling but the kanji remain the same. I'm sure that there were past examples but cannot remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

There is another, albeit unlikely, possibility: He changed the kunyomi / onyomi spelling but the kanji remain the same. I'm sure that there were past examples but cannot remember.

I know of at least one that I've come across.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1