• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wanna Be the Strongest in the World! [Limited Edition] BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
I don't get Japanese wrestling (any gender). If promos don't matter, why do they have mics? Why do wrestlers cut promos? Why was a Japanese wrestler ranked as "Most Charismatic" even though he doesn't talk?

You don't need to talk to be charismatic. Wresters can be charismatic depending on what they do in the ring.

GalicianNightmare wrote:
I also don't like how Japanese crowds are silent. You could hear a pin prick drop throughout the match. I've been watching NJPW since the 90s and not once did I watch a match with a rowdy crowds. Then again, the USA isn't much better, unless you go to Chicago, Phil, NYC, etc. The best crowds are in Toronto, crowds above, Montreal, London and any other anti-Cena crowd. I

I think the reason for why Japanese crowds are silent is because their less impatient and less asinine than the some of the wrestling fans you get from Chicago, Philadelphia, & New York. Booing the faces and cheering the heels is one thing. Making derogatory statements about one of the wrestlers in the match sucking dick is another thing.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I think the reason for why Japanese crowds are silent is because their less impatient and less asinine than the some of the wrestling fans you get from Chicago, Philadelphia, & New York. Booing the faces and cheering the heels is one thing. Making derogatory statements about one of the wrestlers in the match sucking dick is another thing.

There's also the British fans who show up for Wrestlemania & the TV tapings after it. Sure they make the shows entertaining (though with Smackdown being taped w/piped in crowd reactions, the TV-only viewers wouldn't know how much) but some of the chants from them can be as dumb as hell (like "We Are Awesome" for example) and the same goes for when WWE travels to Europe and have their TV tapings in the UK.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Actually, why Misaki took and kept an interest in her (which she had before Sakura started losing) is explained at one point: spoiler[she saw a lot of herself in Sakura, as she had gone through the exact same experience at the beginning of her career.]

As for the illegal moves which could cause serious injury thing: hell, a lot of what goes on in the pro wrestling ring could (and occasionally does) cause serious injury if it was actually played straight. That's part of the whole "suspension of disbelief" aspect of it.

I remember her seeing potential in Sakura but not really talking about her going through the same experience. But even if that's the case Jackel more than likely didn't go through the same losing streak Sakura did. Sakura is probably the only person in the league who had absolutely no wrestling experience and it obviously showed. Jackel might have struggled when she started out but to the degree Sakura did? That's a bit far fetched to me. There just seems like there are so many other wrestlers who Jackel could relate to better.
To me I felt it would have been better suited as a gesture of pity (which I suppose you could say it kind of is) or publicity instead of "potential". The fight did seem like more of a publicity stunt now that I think about it considering Sakura generates a large amount of buzz as does Jackel.

As for the illegal wrestling move thing the problem is that it really goes against the logic of the plot. Elena wants to force Sakura to return to the idol group by beating her. This makes sense. Using a move that could potentially injury her leg to a significant degree DOESN'T make sense. That's like the most important body part of an idol lol. Especially since Sakura likes to flip during her performances. There is suspension of disbelief and then there is going against what a character is trying to accomplish by playing up the drama.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
First, let me be clear that I'm actually not a fan of this series, so the arguments I'm making here should not be construed as me actually claiming that the series is good.

leatherhead333 wrote:
I remember her seeing potential in Sakura but not really talking about her going through the same experience. But even if that's the case Jackel more than likely didn't go through the same losing streak Sakura did. Sakura is probably the only person in the league who had absolutely no wrestling experience and it obviously showed. Jackel might have struggled when she started out but to the degree Sakura did? That's a bit far fetched to me. There just seems like there are so many other wrestlers who Jackel could relate to better.

Actually, what I explained about why Misaki made a connection to Sakura (which is shown in a flashback rather than actually talked about by Misaki) is also probably the reason why Jackall did, too: because Sakura reminds her of Misaki, and Misaki was a favored protege of hers.

Quote:
To me I felt it would have been better suited as a gesture of pity (which I suppose you could say it kind of is) or publicity instead of "potential". The fight did seem like more of a publicity stunt now that I think about it considering Sakura generates a large amount of buzz as does Jackel.

And that was probably the other part of it. Jackall definitely seems media-savvy and to have a flair for entertainment.

Quote:
As for the illegal wrestling move thing the problem is that it really goes against the logic of the plot. Elena wants to force Sakura to return to the idol group by beating her. This makes sense. Using a move that could potentially injury her leg to a significant degree DOESN'T make sense. That's like the most important body part of an idol lol. Especially since Sakura likes to flip during her performances. There is suspension of disbelief and then there is going against what a character is trying to accomplish by playing up the drama.

I saw that as all being a bluff by Elena, albeit a dangerous bluff. But yeah, that is one of the weaker points of the series' logic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

There's also the British fans who show up for Wrestlemania & the TV tapings after it. Sure they make the shows entertaining (though with Smackdown being taped w/piped in crowd reactions, the TV-only viewers wouldn't know how much) but some of the chants from them can be as dumb as hell (like "We Are Awesome" for example) and the same goes for when WWE travels to Europe and have their TV tapings in the UK.

Those post wrestlemania crowds are a whole different beast though compared to the chi-town,philly, & new york crowds. They actually seem to enjoy being there and having fun.
elux72

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show, sub and dub. Not that I know a great deal about wrestling (haven't watched it since the 80's), but I liked how the show took us through the hard road Sakura had to tread to learn and grow. I rooted for her all the way through.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
I actually thought it ended on a fairly strong note considering they finally got to some of the major fights. I just wished it was a little less torturous for the protag at the first 4 episodes and had better animation. But definitely a fun look into Japanese pro wrestling. This theme has way more life left in it and I want more puroresu anime! I did like the sexiness of this show, but I wouldn't mind a more cutesy and/or more masculine characters too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
GalicianNightmare wrote:

I also don't like how Japanese crowds are silent. You could hear a pin prick drop throughout the match. I've been watching NJPW since the 90s and not once did I watch a match with a rowdy crowds. Then again, the USA isn't much better, unless you go to Chicago, Phil, NYC, etc. The best crowds are in Toronto, crowds above, Montreal, London and any other anti-Cena crowd. I

I think the reason for why Japanese crowds are silent is because their less impatient and less asinine than the some of the wrestling fans you get from Chicago, Philadelphia, & New York.

Japanese crowds tend to be quiet. Ya could go to the movie theaters and watch a comedy film, and no one would so much as laugh (it's like as if they went to the wrong movie). Unless it's rehearsed or prodded on in unison by an emcee, Japanese don't want to stand out in a crowd - it's either everyone does it simultaneously, or no one does it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2