• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ninja Slayer From Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8 is the most interesting yet as the first half felt like a Ninja Gaiden level filmed by a documentary crew (dat voiceover isn´t getting old) and the second half was a straight out action show with good fights and noticeable animation and direction here and there.
The creators are very genre savvy with the way they exploit Nancy every chance they get too without diminishing her character and the Slayer himself always stays the gentleman Ninja. This is how exploitation anime should look like.

This anime is 26 episodes long if my Research No Jutsu checks out so what did Mike mean by "halfway point". There are way more Ninja to be slayed! Nice reference with:

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear episode 8 gets the series back on track! The last episode was fine, but admittedly uneventful. But the sexy Nancy Lee and somewhat deep discussion in the second half of the episode were enjoyable. I'll have to get around to watching this episode so I don't fall behind on the series!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
What made that scene of Nancy unzipping to the waist so hilarious for me was that the USB drive was in the top of her cleavage. Very Happy And it also somehow came unzipped again when she was tied up.
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
It was an interesting episode no doubt, introducing new Ninja that are just pissed at their creators, very much a-la Android 17-18.

Not bad for a change, also Ninja Slayer and Nancy's teamwork displays here.

She has him to trust her, so I guess in the meantime he will be meeting somebody else or an older character?

I hope we see more of Yamoto.

Also Toshihiko Seki (Forest) just screamed the best Yee-art seen so far, I love it Razz
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What made that scene of Nancy unzipping to the waist so hilarious for me was that the USB drive was in the top of her cleavage. Very Happy And it also somehow came unzipped again when she was tied up.

That was the best, I was rolling laughing!

The whole scenario at the beginning, from them approaching the factory, video game style, breaking the doorknob, and finding the clone vats, was just perfect. The garbage animation flowing seamlessly into good animation and then garbage animation again was fantastic as well.

I shamelessly YEEEEEART!!!! along with this show. Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
This series really does look like it belongs on Adult Swim! It's meant to be ridiculous, doesn't have a hugely complex plot, and looks like it American audiences were an intended audience. I really enjoy Chris Sabat in this role.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Tbh this week I decided to drop the show. I was already growing bored with it, I'm not really seeing any escalation in the ridiculousness and the still animation lost its charm for me and well, it's not really going anywhere. But what really drove me away is that, since her introduction, there's been maybe one episode in which Nancy doesn't get sexually assaulted/borderline raped and it was never funny to begin with but it also seems to be escalating and it's now beyond uncomfortable and overall icky.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
This episode get's an A+ just for those last two minutes Laughing.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that the narrator clearly said "sadou" (the more common pronunciation for the tea ceremony) but it was subtitled as "chado." Exactly who is the target audience for the subtitles? Apparently people who are familiar with '80s and '90s crazy ninja movies intended for Westerners.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate that the DSR have the Community Votes on This Episode feature (CVoTE for short). A welcomed addition.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The fanservice fits nicely into this show. It's the type of show that doesn't give a sh*t about political correctness or any such bs. I hope it continues that way.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
The mad scientist fuses himself with Lobster (a Ninja) to take revenge on Ninja Slayer, just as Ninja Slayer fuses himself with whatever-its-name-was to take revenge on all Ninja. I'm not entirely sure if the parallel is supposed to be dismissed that easily (we got what, a split second of Ninja Slayer looking a bit serious thinking about it?) but I think it's at least worth noting.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
I agree with killjoy_the that the Slayer himself isn’t a great a guy either and the anime points it out from time to time. What the show is doing with Kunoichi Tits McGee though isn´t fan”service” but pretty clear satire and hard hitting one at that. Especially the opening scene in last week where Nancy is rolling on the floor just at the side of the frame while Lobster-san is having his villain speech was amazing. The anime also had a pretty funny rape joke in the hacking battle before that and such are nearly impossible to do. Hats off. A point could be made the studio did KlK so they aren´t the right people to speak about gender roles in (“edgy”) anime but it is funny here and NS is frankly more respectful towards women than KlK. (The magic girls one or this teams previous failure did fine.) I also disagree on the quality of the English dub as it sound like a thrown together early PS2 game. A dub as in House of the Dead: Overkill would have been the way to go.

I frankly have problems to differentiate the quality or even content of episodes and the studio clearly cut a 13 ep. anime into twice the parts so that isn´t helping but this week´s episode was the best one yet. An A- even. (The show should have been reviewed as double features but the audience is also long gone...) I grew to immediately like Cyberpunk-Punisher within minutes and he killed an innocent prostitute. Respect and his half cooked Sayonara was the best joke yet.
The yet again different animation and directing choices are also very strong with a nice closing song on top so i now moved the show up to a “very good” where it will rest i hope as it survived the first half with no burnout and only improvement. The first half of KlK would also get the same score but the rest straight out shat the bed so Mr. Slayer is now the best thing Trigger did if it keeps the level of quality. The writing staff needs to be reassembled as they are a winning team.
I may need to consider the show when voting for the top 5 at the end of the year and all critics shall parish. See you for the final write-up gang as were are now a very small but elite team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad we won't be getting more reviews until the end, because I've enjoyed the episode breakdowns immensely. Mike's vast knowledge of B-ninja movie lore is much greater than my own, so the reviews really helped me appreciate what I just watched.

Sayonara! <b'toom!>
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Mike, you YEART with the best of them.

SAYONARA!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7