• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA's Fate/stay night: UBW Trailer Previews Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Oh God, I cannot believe how much WHINING I'm seeing from the first page. I have a serious question to ask of you guys. Would you be saying these things if you were like me and didn't watch the subtitled track? Really, this just sounds like "Waaaaah, it's not exactly like the Japanese, so it's BAD!" As someone who watches exclusively in English due to sensory processing issues, I cannot take this elitist attitude seriously. The dub sounds fine on it's own! Bryce Papenbrook is actually pretty good, as well as verterans like Kari Wahlgren and Crispin Freeman! Considering that most of you who are against the dub have probably seen the Japanese version already, why don't you just watch that again? Nobody's making you watch this show in English! Geez!

Rant over. Sorry if I came across as a bit harsh, but I felt this needed to be said by someone.

Well, actually, I never even watched UBW, so I have no idea how Shirou sounds in Japanese.

Bryce just sounds...bad.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
@Levonr and Raebo101:

You both raise excellent points. I'm certainly a huge fan of Liam O'Brien's voice work, so I can freely say I would've loved for him to reprise his role, but since we as fans have no control over casting I also want to keep an open mind when it comes to new additions to the cast.

Thank you both for intelligent, respectful comments.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to chime in here and admittedly I thought the trailer was very good. Then again I was watching the sub just before this.

I don't think it's as people claim it is. I am sort of disappointed they got Papenbrook for yet another protagonist role which is especially bad since he sounds the same in everything he's in. I was never fond of Rigel's performance so there's that.

I didn't like the fact they recasted Archer either. O'Brien killed that role and I don't think Tang is going to bring about the same level of performance that he did. Again I'll wait and see. I can see what they were trying to do without going into spoiler territory but eh.

I'm glad they were able to get the cast for Zero back as it allows for better continuity between the two shows.

Overall, I'm not going to judge this dub as whole based off this one trailer.
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Bryce's Shirou because I feel he's been over-casted in this particular type of role, but it's not entirely painful to hear. I think that he will be able to pull it off, but I did prefer Sam Riegel in this role. (So far... there's not enough in this early-cut trailer and this could definitely change).

I personally think that I have more of an issue with the his monologues sounding awkward. This is probably stuck on the fact that Japanese takes a longer time (more syllables) to explicitly convey information than English does.

In my opinion, the phrase "hero of justice" does not flow well in English. It doesn't have the clear-cut archetype identifiable with it in English that 正義の味方 has in Japanese. I honestly think that some localization to the extent of "super hero" or "hero" would be preferable, but then the "But it's not a literal translation!" crowd would pop up and make complaints similar to mine but inverted.

This was a little bit of an issue in the Fate/Zero dub as well, there was padding with some dialogue that I'd consider quite flowery/purple. That said, I have hope that after fan feedback from this trailer they'll re-record (Irisviel's "Our ideal will become reality" comes to mind) or reconsider localization on some lines for the sake of making the dialogue/monologue flow smoother in English without sounding like a silly overly-literal translation or a high school creative writing project.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kaiji Tang ,the new voice of Archer, mentioned on twitter almost explicitly that he knows he may not be able to live up to O'brien's original performance but he going to give his best shot anyways. His voice is somewhat reminiscent of Suwabe's voice but then he's a voice actor not a voice imitators which some people tend to forgot about dubs.

https://twitter.com/KaijiTang/status/616856827792199680
He's him doing the Unlimted Blade Works chant if y'guys have any doubts.

Anyways, I actually prefer the "superhero" translation that used in the english patches of the VN since it makes more to a western audience than a "hero of justice" does but I digress.
Xionea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Not a huge fan of Bryce getting the main role. Not that he's a bad voice actor, I really like him, it just doesn't seem to fit in Unlimited Blade Works imo.

Other than that, I'm loving the rest of the choices, especially Saber.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to chime in on a bit of the Zero discussion, since I'm going off my hiatus tomorrow and that's one of the shows I'm watching. I do think the dub is good, but it's far from perfect. To be honest, I think the problem lies within the adaptive script. That is to say, I'm convinced that the person(s) responsible were not doing their job to make the script flow naturally. It's not noticeable when the camera's focusing elsewhere, but when they have to show the faces, it gets awkward very quickly. You can make a drinking game out of how many times they pause in Episode Four alone. It gets better after that, but it's still a headache.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ok having watched the first trailer other than being giddy about the fact the characters that were voiced in Zero retained there voices I will say this, this isn't that bad it's actually watchable I grew up with bad dubs (Dominion Tank Police anyone) that and it drops any connection to the old Deen series is a major plus to me I'm looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
FranceHopper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Uh, did someone forget a comma in the line "I am your servant, Saber"? There definitely wasn't a pause in its delivery.

Yeah, that sounds like a remarkably bad dub.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
FranceHopper wrote:
Uh, did someone forget a comma in the line "I am your servant, Saber"? There definitely wasn't a pause in its delivery.

Yeah, that sounds like a remarkably bad dub.

The lip flaps in that scene don't really allow them to add any pause in that line. Though it sounds relatively fine to me without any pause.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
Bryce is okay, I'll need some time to get used to him but he'll do.

Thank God Kari and Crispin are back.

The guy who does Lancer... I've always found his voice unintentionally funny and just not as badass as Lancer's supposed to sound.

As for Rin and Archer... ugh. No, just no.
Stall_19

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
After how good Kill la Kill's dub turned out after a bad trailer, I'm not going to make any judgments until the final product is out.
vashthestampede1050

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
After how good Kill la Kill's dub turned out after a bad trailer, I'm not going to make any judgments until the final product is out.

Really? I hate the dub of Kill La Kill, Mako's voice alone ruins it, plus that character with his "gangsta" slang, I will say that other than that it is pretty decent but considering how much Mako talks I can't help but hate it. The worst part to me about the UBW is Christina Vee and Todd Haberkorn, I will say that Todd Haberkorn has surprised me before so I will give him the benefit of the doubt but Christina Vee is just terrible, yeah Sakura in UBW isn't a big role but I cannot stand her voice. She is a mystery to me, in that she gets so much work that imo she doesn't deserve. She always sounds like she isn't confident, plus she is pretty much the same character in everything. I just don't think she can act, I think she can get better but I don't think she will, because she keeps getting work despite her mediocrity. I am sure people will disagree and defend her and I accept your opinion but I hope my opinion can be at the very least, recognized as such, an opinion.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I saw the actual dub premier at AX and it sounded a lot better than the trailer. Papenbrook sounds fine as Shirou, although Archer's new voice might take some getting used to because Liam O'Brien was so good. I think this is just a case of a bad trailer as opposed to a bad dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
Rin's voice is exactly how I expected it to sound. It reminds me of the good ol' days of 2006. Mela Lee IS Rin.

This.

It sucks whenever they change cast around, and this franchise gets that pretty bad, but her's was voice I was waiting to hear in the trailer.

The others I can get used to... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4