• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 of the Worst Sore Losers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Admittedly I only watched two shows, but I selected Kinmoza for best show of the season. Danmachi was also good, but fairly rough in execution with a number of plot holes expected from a light novel adaptation.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like Fairy Tail just got more idiotic with the pass of time. Good thing I dropped that early on.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Kitagawa Megumi, aka; "Megtan". from Say, I Love You. Yet another very sore loser.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
LinkSword wrote:
Sounds like Fairy Tail just got more idiotic with the pass of time. Good thing I dropped that early on.

Actually, Flare didn't try to strip Lucy, even though she considered it. Instead, she decided to permanently rebrand her own guild mark over Lucy's Fairy Tail mark with her fiery-hot hair as an eternal reminder of her humiliation (spoiler: she failed). Though unlike a number of characters on this list I'm familiar with, Flare actually felt bad about it afterward, though it took Laxus giving a well-deserved beating to her entire team for that to happen.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh man! I wouldn't want to be around these guys if I happen to win any sort of game. I'd hate to play checkers with these guys. They wouldn't just storm out of the room if they lost,they'd obliterate the board. Sheesh! At least Chewbacca would,at least,let me live if he lost,minus a couple of arms. Some of the guys on this list might not even let me do that!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Instead of voting for the show that I enjoyed the most I voted for the show that moved me the most by the end. So my vote went to Plastic Memories.
Wonderfuzz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Sore loser? Jinnai from El Hazard is the first character that comes to mind. After all these years, I still want to roll my eyes at him. That is one sick guy.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Wonderfuzz wrote:
Sore loser? Jinnai from El Hazard is the first character that comes to mind. After all these years, I still want to roll my eyes at him. That is one sick guy.

Dude couldn't even see the absolute catch he had in Diva right before his eyes, he was totally obsessed with Makoto.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Dude couldn't even see the absolute catch he had in Diva right before his eyes, he was totally obsessed with Makoto.

So much truth right there. I always preferred Diva myself. This is obviously the least of his faults, but man he was a putz in that regard. Now I wanna go watch Lodoss War again.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Obito Uchiha is arguably a sore loser in the sense that spoiler[part of the reason that he become evil was that he essentially got friend zoned/something like getting friend zoned by Rin.]

spoiler[Obito turned evil because he wanted to create a reality where Rin hadn't gotten "accidentally" gutted by Kakashi not because Rin said to hell what his feelings]

As for sore losers Dio Brando from JoJo is one that pops to mind dude couldn't take losing gracefully eventhough he grew up sort of a loser anyway. His fight with Jotaro in part three emphasizes this.
Nosehair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
UBW and BBB are the expected best shows of the season. i know JOJO was a carry over from winter but finnally seeing dio in action again makes it hard for me to say something else was better. kekkai sensen has been really fun but its been a little jumbled the last few eps and im waiting for the last episode to tie everything togeether. UBW was fine, dont see much wrong with it, it was a good supernatural action anime with a touch of romance. lancer was cool in the end like sombody else said. maybe my only issue was that gilgamesh didn't put up much of a fight, but that would be out of character for him, i would like to see archer become archer and fall into despair killing iraqi muslum extremists and isis, would make for a very intense show. Punchline got better and better with every epand never lost its original appeal. i prefer it over top kek sensen and would say it had better story but not better animationto UBW. and last was plastic memories, which was just the show telling you from a distance "im going to stab you in the heart with a rusty notched knife" and then slowly walking towards you with said knife while you say "surely you will miss" while also standing still and waiting for the knife to come and then on the last episode you say " i didn't think i would get stabbed" as you mangled heart get puuled out of your chest and thrown in the trash. now heart less you watch till after the credits only to see a lose end that could possibly cause some to commit suicide from the depression of knowing that they possibly replaced her or worse... recylced her. so its tough for me. plastic memeroies had the best romance, punchline had the best original story, kekai had the best atmosphere, and UBW had the best action, and of course JOJO had equal or greater to all of those things. ill probably pick jojo or plastic memories.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
From what I can see, Donquixote Doflamingo is another One Piece character who throws some nasty tantrums. He's the sort of person who plans everything in advance, covering every possibility, but if something unexpected happens, he will not only try to kill whoever wronged him, he seems to want to take it out on the entire island, sometimes going out of his way to psychologically torture people he's familiar with before killing them. That's his way of venting, and it is horrifying.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Fun list, but the ranking is puzzling. To me blowing up an entire planet is a little more of an over-reaction than berating and lying to collaborators and getting banned from Shounen Jump. Very Happy

Well, the ist isn't about shows of power, but how badly they take losing. The incident with Beerus was played for laughs, and blowing up planets is part of his job. That, and he behaves rather maturely when none of his berserk buttons are pushed. Nanamine's breakdown, however, was played for drama and shown in detail. Another factor is that Beerus throws a tantrum and quickly moves on, whereas Nanamine lets his hatred fester and fester long after he's lashed out at everyone around him.

I would definitely say that another Ohba/Obata collaboration would take the cake: Light Yagami from Death Note. I know it's been mentioned before, but he does not lose often, and when he does, he will relentlessly target whoever beat him until they're dead. The manga displays this more so than the anime though. In the anime, Light spoiler[accepts he's been utterly defeated with no way out on the final episode, whereas in the manga, he remains desperate to find a way to keep on living until Ryuk, realizing Light has run out of ideas, kills Light directly.] That is, Light is a character who spends every waking minute of his life exacting disproportionate punishment, and becomes more draconian as he goes, but cannot take any sort of setback whatsoever.

Desa wrote:
A part of me actually wanted to try watching Free!, but after reading that, NOPE. I cannot stand that kind of faux-drama. There are few things I hate more in fiction than such contrived nonsense.

I've known some very competitive people whose competitiveness was encouraged by their parents and school programs, and they do behave the way it was described in this article: If they encounter someone who can beat them seemingly without even trying, they will dedicate every ounce of themselves to beating that person, and if they still can't beat that person, they break down.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

So much truth right there. I always preferred Diva myself. This is obviously the least of his faults, but man he was a putz in that regard. Now I wanna go watch Lodoss War again.

Oh yeah, Jinnai was fun but with Diva being an insect queen, the exact problem with her came up in a later series when she... wait, Lodoss War?

Anyway, she did look mostly human so when she finally took him, he probably didn't die... right away.

Another sore loser that deserves a dishonorable mention is the Desert Punk who wasn't just a sore loser, but a sore winner and an eyesore as well. He was such a sore loser, he went and switched sides to save his own skin, not just against everything decent but his first love, childhood friends, friendly rival, humanity in general and his former apprentice. The dumb part was he forgot he could switch back. Prior to that, he was petty minded dung beetle to anyone he thought better than he was but what redeemed him was...

[Scene Missing].

And remember, he was the hero, kind of.

Haruhi Suzumiya? Sore winner, sure, spoiled brat, absolutely, but in order for her to be a sore loser, she'd have to lose. With the Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya, the ragtag bunch of amateurs are supposed to win in the end... the way Hollywood stories go... and that's what was upsetting her; In manga and anime, they lose but that's not the story she wanted to live out. Now, Nagato, she didn't take Endless Eight very well...
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
"7 of the Worst Sore Losers"

based on the end of the series alone I'm really surprised Light Yagami didn't get the top spot
Phantom Roxas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Nanamine being at the top of the list makes me so happy. Couldn't stand the guy at all, and while most of the characters definitely deserved to be on the list, at least they could be tolerable. Pretty good ranking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4