• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

I wasn't complaining about fillers or the flashback themselves, the other way around actually (I still have to start watching the anime for Dressrosa, fyi).
Law's one is so good, but as tragic as any other OP flashback (if not even more) that manga readers couldn't just take it anymore, at one point. Crying or Very sad

P.S. I don't think what I wrote counts as spoiler since it's too generic, but if someone think I should tag it as such I will.

Law's Flashback is defiantly one of the more tragic ones, but that's true of all OP flashbacks, the only one with even a slightly happy ending is Sanji's and his is still pretty rough (his is the only one in which spoiler[someone doesn't die at the end (luffy/Sabo, Zoro/Kuina, Nami/Bellemere, Usopp/His Mom, Chopper/Hiraluk, Franky/Tom, Robin/Everyone on her island, Brook/his crew ] .

I think the animation might have looked rough for this because it was just the first small part, hopefully towards teh end of the Flashback, during the more significant parts it will pick up.

I'm also really interested to see if the Anime expands on spoiler[ X-Drake and his small part in Law's backstory]
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

I wasn't complaining about fillers or the flashback themselves, the other way around actually (I still have to start watching the anime for Dressrosa, fyi).
Law's one is so good, but as tragic as any other OP flashback (if not even more) that manga readers couldn't just take it anymore, at one point. Crying or Very sad

P.S. I don't think what I wrote counts as spoiler since it's too generic, but if someone think I should tag it as such I will.

Law's Flashback is defiantly one of the more tragic ones, but that's true of all OP flashbacks, the only one with even a slightly happy ending is Sanji's and his is still pretty rough (his is the only one in which spoiler[someone doesn't die at the end (luffy/Sabo, Zoro/Kuina, Nami/Bellemere, Usopp/His Mom, Chopper/Hiraluk, Franky/Tom, Robin/Everyone on her island, Brook/his crew ] .

I think the animation might have looked rough for this because it was just the first small part, hopefully towards teh end of the Flashback, during the more significant parts it will pick up.

I'm also really interested to see if the Anime expands on spoiler[ X-Drake and his small part in Law's backstory]

Well, only Robin's flashback is as tragic as Law's, but in a different way (spoiler[Robin had less people caring for her; Law had more but he lost more, too, consequently]). Sad

About anime-only additions, I honestly call them "fillers" and fear them. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the anime is going to expand much on anyone's flashbacks, out of the possibility that something else will come up in the series later that contradicts it. Toei has been burned by assuming things that turn out to be incorrect at least three times now.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Well, only Robin's flashback is as tragic as Law's, but in a different way (spoiler[Robin had less people caring for her; Law had more but he lost more, too, consequently]

Brook, lost all of his crew, died, lost a huge part of his body, lost his shadow and was humiliated, failed is dream and promise(traveling through the Grand Line and meet again Laboon in 2 years) and got alone for almost 50 years in a ship adrift.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't think the anime is going to expand much on anyone's flashbacks, out of the possibility that something else will come up in the series later that contradicts it. Toei has been burned by assuming things that turn out to be incorrect at least three times now.

Almost all of the backstories got a expansion. Normally negligible additions, but sometimes bigger. Luffy Flashback being the most noticeable extension.

What are this 3 incorrect things?
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

What are this 3 incorrect things?

I know two are from the Apis filler, They meet Dragons, but then on Punk Hazard say that's the first Dragon they've ever seen, and in that same filler Zoro cuts steel chains, Even says "I can cut anything", and then has a whole fight revolving around him learning to cut steel.

I'm not sure what the third one is
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Looking at it from another angle, for a show that is running non-stop from 1999, with 700 (!) episodes so far, and only have less non-canon events than there are fingers to count them on says something about Toei's ability to adapt shows, even when their work isn't far off (read: far enough) from where the source material currently is.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Well, only Robin's flashback is as tragic as Law's, but in a different way (spoiler[Robin had less people caring for her; Law had more but he lost more, too, consequently]

Brook, lost all of his crew, died, lost a huge part of his body, lost his shadow and was humiliated, failed is dream and promise(traveling through the Grand Line and meet again Laboon in 2 years) and got alone for almost 50 years in a ship adrift.

[...]

Well, Brook was already an adult by then, but the part when he remained alone in the ship is terrible indeed. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I know two are from the Apis filler, They meet Dragons, but then on Punk Hazard say that's the first Dragon they've ever seen, and in that same filler Zoro cuts steel chains, Even says "I can cut anything", and then has a whole fight revolving around him learning to cut steel.

The third one is Chopper consuming a lot of Rumble Balls before Monster Chopper was introduced. (I forget which filler arc it was in. I think it was part of the expanded Davy Back Fight.)
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

That's not even confirmed, though. If Toei starts running wild left and right with fan theories they might as well just do a proper filler arc instead, as it would make far more sense.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

The third one is Chopper consuming a lot of Rumble Balls before Monster Chopper was introduced. (I forget which filler arc it was in. I think it was part of the expanded Davy Back Fight.)

I knew about Apis Dragon. I didn't knew about Zoro cutting steel(Though I knew about him cutting Kairoseki in the 3D Movie).

The Chopper ones is not about Monster Chopper. In Davy Back Fight, Chopper eats 2 rumble balls one right next to the other and he didn't got the side effect of not being able to control in which transformation he gets(Yep, I just looked it up. I didn't remember any thing like Chopper eating 3 rumble balls before Monster point).

There is also the Hody and friends being chases by a slave trading Human, when in fact he didn't had any bad experiences with humans at all.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so that's how it was. You're absolutely right. Nevertheless, this was an assumption Toei made about Rumble Balls and was then proven wrong later on.

So Toei made another assumption during the Fishman Island arc that turned out to be wrong? How did they mess that one up when the reveal was not long afterwards? Was Toei that close to catching up during then?
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

That's not even confirmed, though. If Toei starts running wild left and right with fan theories they might as well just do a proper filler arc instead, as it would make far more sense.

Oda just confirmed in the last volume. Also it was pretty obvious and in your face.

This is the translation of the question and answer:

Reader: The boy called Dorry who was with the pirate Barrels, is actually the captain of the Drake pirates, X Drake, right!? The name Diez, and the maxilla wound , they come from the North Blue, as I noticed. So Barrels is Drake's father?

Oda: Yes, that's right!! As you noticed correctly, Drake put new life into the world, as one of the young pirates of the “worst generation“ along with Luffy and the others. His father Barrels is a former marine officer, and Drake, who was admitting and respecting his father, had the dream to become a marine himself. But something happened, and his father became a cruel pirate who even used violence against his own son. Drake believed in the father he was before, and followed him. At that time, 13 ½ years before today, he was 19 years old. He was tall for a boy, but he looked very young as he was weak and feared his father. Then, he had a fateful meeting with Law, and was protected by the marine, and finally become one himself. Yet he dropped his career when he already was a rear-admiral, and became a pirate!! What happened!? What do you think!? Hey, you!! ––Nah~~. I'm curious which steps X Drake will take from now on!!

Last edited by bigivel on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ah, so that's how it was. You're absolutely right. Nevertheless, this was an assumption Toei made about Rumble Balls and was then proven wrong later on.

So Toei made another assumption during the Fishman Island arc that turned out to be wrong? How did they mess that one up when the reveal was not long afterwards? Was Toei that close to catching up during then?

Toei is right now and at that time 30 chapters away from the manga and Fishman Island has 51 episodes.

I don't remember well, but I believe that Hody being chased happens still early in the arc, so they probably had already produced that episode before knowing about the revelation.

Also it was nothing big, given that Arlong saved the kids.

Last edited by bigivel on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I thought they were closer to 40 or 50 chapters behind. They're closer than I thought.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Also it was nothing big, given that Arlong saved the kids.

Actually it kinda was, being that the whole point of the Hody-reveal was that he had never had any kind of bad experience with humans and his hatred of them stemmed entirely from stories he had been told. Adding a flashback showing a traumatizing event where he and his friends were almost captured and sold into slavery is about as big a contradiction of his character as you can get. And of course, when the revelation came along... Toei didn't even try to explain away the earlier scene. They just totally pretended as if that never happened in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 48